1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] NBA considering re-seeding conference finalists, postseason play-in

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 23, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

With all due respect, just because you thought those moves didn't make them better doesn't mean they made those moves to avoid the playoffs. I agree, bledsoe and Adams are meh moves and SVG isn't some amazing coach either, but they thought that. The entire organization has been trying to make the playoffs. We can agree their teambuilding is crap but they made it clear since drafting him what their goals have been.

Here is another quote from Zion...recently...

So with these kind of quotes do we think the Pelicans are trying to make the playoffs? This kind of quote makes it pretty clear that he's not going to put up with finishing outside of the playoffs for long...so yes, I think the organization has been trying to make the playoffs...they just made dumbass moves and can't rely on Ingram, Bledsoe and Adams aren't doing much to raise their level and they need to make major moves to get there or else I think they (and we) all know what's going to happen if they keep repeating this.

A team losing isn't proof that they are trying to lose. You act like them losing is hardcore proof that they didn't want to make the playoffs.

Man players don't think like fans. Players think "The next step in my career is to make the playoffs" and to not do so is a failure. They don't see the 8th seed as useless or worthless or crap, they think it's a stepping stone to bigger success and momentum towards next season.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

They likely didn't do it intentionally, but they did it so they could focus on developing zion and ingram as the focal point of the team going forward. which at the same time, them being at still such young ages means missing the playoffs because that's just how it generally works. Whether they want to admit this or not doesn't really matter. If they were on the bubble like GS/Memphis are for that 8th seed, of course they would want it for the experience itself. But we're not talking about the 8th seed, otherwise it would make some sense. Yes a team losing consistently in stretches where you absolutely need to win, especially closing out the year means they don't care about the 10th seed. That's the point. Zion is barely in his 2nd year of a shortened season and he only play 24 games last year. They are years away from win now and this year was far from some must make the playoffs or bust.

All that quote tells me is he knows their team isn't playoff caliber and that's 100% true. They have next to no shooting. Outside of Hart who they lost at the start of April, all their rotational players off the bench are rookies or barely even older than zion and younger than ingram. You're not getting into the playoffs with that and especially in the west where it’s tough to get in at even being .500

#142 YOLO, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Them losing consistently when they need to win proves they were not good enough to win, not that they didn't care, that's just insulting to the players.

Occam's Razor here, you're assuming something far more complex than necessary. They lost games because as you point out, they are not a well built team, their parts don't even complement each other. They're losing high pressure games because they are not good enough to win them. They want to be, they aren't making rebuilding moves, they aren't trading for draft picks and collecting assets, they are making compete now moves. Their actions tell you this.

Also, as for the general argument, I think the 8th seed serves another purpose that you might not be considering. A tune up game. The Nets in particular could certainly use a few games together against a lesser opponent before going up against a tougher team.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think they really wanted in the playoffs but were not good enough to get there and as for the general point, I think there's a lot of interest around play-in games and that they in general make the regular season more interesting. I wouldn't compare (the playoff structure) to the MLB because the MLB doesn't have the problem of tanking the NBA has had.

#143 JayGoogle, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Slight tangent. But Zion quoting his step dad on definition of insanity, hope someone let him know that, the phrase has been around and it originally came from Einstein.

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

It doesn’t matter if they were or not. They still didn’t push for it.

And again this play in does next to nothing and that’s why we won’t see it next year.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I recognize this is neither here nor there. But that quote is misattributed to Einstein, He never said it.

In fact, most of science and the scientific method is based on the concept of repeating tests and experiments and getting different results for many things because we often do not know all the variables or have them weighted incorrectly. It is the entire reason for confidence intervals, standard deviations, etc.

JayGoogle, hakeem94 and rockbox like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I just realized this. I should have noticed a fake quote that was posted from a non relevant account.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm, he's saying the quote in its entirety is fake, that Einstein never said it, not that zion didn't.

The account isn't non-relevant, he's a new orleans sports journalist, it was posted on a NOP forum, not a single person in the tweet thread questions it or on the forum and another NO sports journalist confirmed it.

So it's pretty safe to say it was said.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yes I know. Some nobody account just randomly posts and they're the only one who actually caught it. Nah. doesn't work that way.

I call bs. It would have been easily searched and found if Zion actually said it. And safe to say ESPN would have been all over it with all the media hype for Zion

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And oh yeah...that Warriors-Lakers game probably gave Silver all the ammunition he needs to continue the play in...

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Teams will still find a way to tank as far as playoff seeding (Clippers)

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/commission...e-permanent-thing-nba-playoffs-205651179.html

So yeah, as has been obvious, for the NBA as a business the play-in makes sense. I'm sure he'll get the teams on board, teams sure do love selling tickets after all.

But the point about being the 7th seed and x amount above the next team is fair. They could make it so if that's the case then the 7th seed gets locked in and the next 4 teams fight for 8th...or just make it so the play-in is triggered depending on the standings.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Still a dumb idea.

Jontro likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

im all for this. but would rather have it after the finals/draft. so nba games year round.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love watching basketball, but I don't like the idea of a mid-season tournament. I want one champion for the season and that's enough.

Deckard and Slyonebluejay like this.
  18. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Mid season tournament would be mind numbingly dumb.

Deckard and Slyonebluejay like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Just another money grab, have a hard time imagining myself being excited for a midseason tourney.