1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Call Texas. We coo at TAMU.

BBALL - I'm down.

sammy and arkoe like this.
  2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Are kids really making their decision to go to UT based on seeing them play Baylor? :eek:

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If the last few weeks have taught us anything, it's that history in CFB is for sale and don't mean ****.

Nook, Hippieloser, Pringles and 2 others like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm actually going to the Baylor/UT game, lulz.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

UT already has 3 non-conference games booked each year thru 2026. If they really schedule Tech every year, there's no room for Baylor or anyone else until 2027. I think the Horns are probably looking for more UTEP / UTSA types with the step up in conference quality. Aggies future nonconference schedules look like a bunch of Abilene Christians and Prairie View A&Ms... I think the Horns are likely to follow that lead for the most part.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You're a smart dude. UT needs to (and will) load up on pay-to-win games. I cannot imagine Tech getting some kind of extended 1:1 series.

Nook likes this.
  7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You considering going to UT?

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If they gave me a scholarship I might.

tinman and arkoe like this.
  10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Funny that I still get a notice that I've been quoted, even when it's already deleted.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's going to be really interesting to see how the timeline for all the joiners and leavers plays out.

My gut is that UT/OU bounce in 2023 and the new 4 come in as they leave.

Provided that doesn't happen and it is a staggered approach, UH needs to try really hard to leave the AAC early and be the team that pairs with BYU for the 2023 season.

Nook and tinman like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

There are different measures......

The last I checked UT had the most total revenue in college athletics, but it wasn't the most profitable. The revenue was something like $225,000,000 and the costs were well over $200,000,000. Texas A&M were clearing a profit over nearly $50,000,000 and there were also schools like Georgia and Alabama that made more.

Your larger points stands though, UT is a financial monster and has the resources to win big, it just doesn't or overall hasn't. Any conference would gladly take them though.

If you look at the numbers the Big X as a conference is a huge money conference that has poor results overall.

UT for example has three times the revenue that UH has.... and OU has twice the revenue that UH has...... the loss of UT and OU is huge for the Big XII and a massive gain for the SEC that not essentially controls all the gorillas in Texas football.

The Big XII basically has Kansas at 125 million in revenue (approximately 25th in the nation), and then a lot of programs in the 90 million dollar range.... (5-6 programs)..... UH is in the 75 million dollar range, but will likely be up to the 90 million dollar range being in a bigger conference going forward.... same with Cincy.

Overall the Big XII is clearly behind the SEC and the Big X, who dwarf everyone else.... the ACC and PAC are actually fairly equal on a revenue standing at this point..... and then Big XII isn't that far behind the ACC.... the Problem is that the BIG XII lacks football powerhouses that can compete for national titles.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Those first years are going to be critical for the new Big 12. If they can't put someone in the playoff, or get in and get crushed, it's going to do irreparable harm to their brand and their access going forward.

My gut is that BYU and UCF are going to emerge as consistent playoff threats.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

If you look at the revenue of the programs, the PAC is better than the new Big XII and it is by about 10-15%. The PAC is also a more stable conference.... but the PAC is also hampered being in the time zone they are in. It isn't impossible for the Big XII to catch the PAC as a conference, but I know for a fact that UH was very close to getting an invite to the PAC and they were going to take it over a possible Big XII invite.... a lot of local people in Houston were not happy about that, but it tells you that the PAC is viewed as better....... but I don't think by a lot.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

As nice as the PAC is in theory, it would be a total blackhole to go jumping into for UH.

Playing Baylor, Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State just has infinitely more appeal to the casual fan.

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Obviously getting a team into the playoff will be a big accomplishment but that is asking for a lot right away. I look at the PAC and they really have not been world beaters in football in a very long time outside of a USC run that was fueled by illegal benefits.I agree at some point that a consistent playoff threat will have to emerge and I am not sure who that will be.... the reality is that UH, Cincy, Baylor, UCF and BYU all have potential to be very good at football if they are well ran..... UH and UCF especially do from a recruiting standpoint.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you on that the casual fan has more desire to play other regional teams... and that is really important, but there is a reason that UH was close to and was going to take a PAC invite... and my guess is that Washington and USC for football potential was too good to pass up, coupled with the stability of the conference.... but that is just my guess.

The other team that may come out of this doing really well is Notre Dame.... who holds even more appeal to a conference like the Big XII or the Big X... does a conference give ND exactly what they want from a football perspective because they are out there? I think it is feasible.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which is what should happen to the O-Line

I hope Sark really goes out and recruits and transfer portals some SEC level O Line

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Athletic's Texas college football writer talked about this in his piece this week. Sark is going hard on recruiting:

The three-man rush Arkansas used against our offensive line destroyed the running game and our pocket passer freshman. If the line is going to be this bad, I agree that starting Thompson is the right move that stretches the opposing defense a bit. I have to believe that Sark knows remaking our lines from Big 12 to SEC-caliber is a years-long process and will be bumpy.

tinman likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I saw a rumor that the Big 12 is confident that some PAC 12 schools would be interested in joining if the money is on par on the next deals

The schools that come into mind are the Az ones and Utah. Wishful thinking but it’s really not that far-fetched imo