1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the best Eric Gordon trade proposal you can come up with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don’t disagree with this. My point is why would they then also do his but add Harris, Maxes for Wall, Gordon? To continue to get even worse defensively? And smaller?

They can’t just trade one problem to create a new one. Which is why DMs asking price is so high. Simmons for Dame… sure he defense gets worse but you’re getting Dame and undeniably better. Simmons for lesser guys and you get worse defensively and still don’t have a legit number 2.

if they’re going down that non legit #2 route… MAYBE the Kings are their best bet. Hield, Mitchell, Bagley and a first round pick. Just really be betting on Mitchell’s defense translating. Hield and Bagley are horrible defensively.

tycoonchip likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The rest of your original post I agreed with .... it would be pointless for them to solve one problem but make another. I was just answering the specific question ... Simmons for CJ - are they better.

No way Portland does Dame for Simmons , at least I wouldn't.

Not sure that I'd make that deal if I'm Sacramento either .... Don't think they are going anywhere with that bunch but I wouldn't give them and a pick up for Simmons , what do you have left ?! That probably leaves them in purgatory - stuck between good and bad picking 12-16 for the duration.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I can see Denver biting towards the trade deadline or soon too. They have michael porter jr jaymachal green and aaron gordon. It would surprise me if they traded one of the three to us.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Indiana gets:
    Ben Simmons

Houston gets:
    Jeremy Lamb

Philadelphia gets:
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Eric Gordon
    Indiana's 2022 1st
    Indiana's 2024 1st
    Indiana's 2026 1st pick swap

Indiana: Now sports a huge ass starting lineup with Simmons, LaVert, TJ Warren, Sabonis and Myles Turner. The Pacers' expectation for Simmons is to be the playmaker and defend; no need to be a 2nd or 3rd scoring option here with LaVert, Warren and Sabonis on the floor.

Houston: Gets their prodigal son back for the remainder of the 2021-2022 season to keep the good tanking vibes alive. This will also alleviate the remaining years/$ from Gordon's salary, making it a groovy LT$ move for Tillman.

Philadelphia: Morey gets his requisite picks but also gets two steady two-way players back in exchange for a 1.5 way player. Brogdon slides right into the starting line up with Seth Curry in the backcourt and Gordon forms a super sub duo with George Hill coming off the bench. This gets Philly to the ECF, only to lose to the Nets, forcing Morey to think about blowing up the team next summer and rebuilding around Embiid.

T FOR 3!!!, Bearius Jones and NewAge like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good trade.

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's a good trade for Phily and for Ind. G.Hill is in Milwaukee, though. The reserve backcourt will be EGo/Maxey.
    Good trade for Fertita's wallet, bad trade for Rockets. Gordon is an asset and we get nothing for him.

Astrodome likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

We get an expiring contract for an oft-injured 32 year old that has at least $20 million left on his contract ($40 if his last year gets picked up) that hasn't shot better than 33% from 3 in over 2 years. Unless he comes into the season and balls out (something I've mentioned many times that don't happen given he doesn't get going until middle of December at the earliest), we need to temper our expectations on the return for Eric Gordon.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Indy is not a franchise to send out multiple 1s.

Otherwise, FnD.

10. steddinotayto

True but is that due to them just being very conservative with trading picks or because they weren't presented with an opportunity to obtain an All-Star level player in recent memory?

Corrosion likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I’ll ask next time they have me over.

Historically, their belief is that they need to retain picks as they are not an FA destination.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't understand why people are so eager to get rid of Gordon. He's the 69th highest paid player in the league at 18M this year, 19M next year and 21M the last year. That seems VERY reasonable for a two way guard. He had a terrible season last year. I don't expect to see that again.

He's making as much as Clint Capela this year. Seems reasonable to me.

But let's say we want to trade him. Just for salary moves? Not worth it, IMO. He can teach this young guards a lot. Only way I'd move him is for future picks or prospects. But as long as Wall is on the team, I say you try to compete until it doesn't look good. i.e., if we come into next season and are above .500 after 20 games, I say you keep fighting and you don't trade anyone unless it's to add to the competitive roster. If we are under .500 after 20 games, I say you start looking to offload veterans.

Gordon has been a "consummate professional," in the words of Clyde. We should try to get him to a contender. I'd love to see him on PHX. Can we get a future first for him? Maybe a Cam Johnson or another young wing? We helped Tucker and Harden get to contenders, I can't imagine they wouldn't try to do the same for EGO.

Edit: Pardon me, that 69th ranking seems to be based on total contract, not this year's salary.

NewAge likes this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, very close. He's 66th for this year. Final year is not fully guaranteed. I completely agree, EGO is a baller, + he elevates his game in the playoffs. Brogdon+EGo will be huge upgrade over Simmons for Phily, especially in the postseason.

Also, there is no strategic point for the Rockets to shed-off salary this or next year. Team is over the cap because of Wall, but not in danger of lux tax. Only point is to save Fertita money, there is no basketball reason to dumb Eric for nothing.

Corrosion and Kevooooo like this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Eric Gordon has the 64th highest salary for the 2021/2022 season
    http://www.espn.com/nba/salaries/_/page/2/seasontype/4

Eric Gordon Rank in Salary and in Win Shares over the last 5 seasons with Houston

2021 : 69th in salary and 326 out of 540 eligible in Win Shares
    2020 : 88th in salary and 341 out of 529 eligible in Win Shares
    2019 : 85th in salary and 186 out of 530 eligible in Win Shares
    2018 : 87th in salary and 89 out of 540 eligible in Win Shares
    2017 : 79th in salary and 118 out of 486 eligible in Win Shares

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-player-projections/eric-gordon/

538s 5 year projection going forward values him at 2.8 million dollars. TOTAL…

The 3 year period from 2019-2021 he made roughly 44 million. If he was paid based on his production(wins above replacement) he would have only earned about 7million.

He was a “good idea piece” for our contending team that didn’t really pay off like we hoped(injuries and truly bizarre shooting slumps/streaks). I think our youth will be better served learning by taking his minutes rather than learning from his presence. Time to move on. Hopefully it can be done quickly and without attaching assets.

Milos and Xerobull like this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I wonder how many GMs are looking at this thread.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Obviously all of them.

Random side note I don't know where to put this: a guy just walked past my office window in a Rockets jersey, #27, but I couldn't see who that is. By the time I walked to the other window he was out of view!

Jim Ware 1968
    John Johnson 1977-1978
    Zaid Abdul-Aziz 1978
    Caldwell Jones 1983-1984
    Charles Jones 1995-1998
    Jordan Hill 2010-2012

lol who the heck was he wearing...

Xerobull likes this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

GTFO with those BS numbers! EGo is a baller. I'm sure losers like Gobert and Ben Simmons rate super high on your bogus Win Shares rankings. Clueless white dudes pretending to know something about basketball.... SMH...

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jones covers it.

19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Wolves get:
    Eric Gordon

Rockets get:
    Pat Bev (expiring)
    Okogie
    Min 1st Rounder

------

Pelicans get:
    Eric Gordon
    Danuel House

Rockets get:
    Satoransky (expiring)
    J. Hayes
    Alexander Walker

I'd do these.

20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Don’t think we’ll be able to squeeze a first out of anyone for Gordon right now. Maybe once the season starts and he’s playing well, but I’d assume it would be a contender.

steddinotayto likes this.