1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone or Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 10, 2021.

?

Stone or Morey?

1. Morey

2. Stone

3. Both are great. Daryl is a wizard and Stone is the right guy to rebuild this franchise

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have different strengths/styles (as well as much in common), but are undeniably among the best today.

I think context is important when making any valid comparison with these two.

Daryl was charged with a seemingly impossible task. NO REBUILD. Contend. And, he pulled it off. (to the point where the NBA had to intervene) His aggressive wheeler dealer style was tailor made for the situation. With that said, were he given free rein in a rebuild, I have no doubt he would do extremely well.

Early reports on Stone are spectacular as far as I'm concerned. Granted, cranking out a rebuild is easier in general than what Daryl did (and plays to Stone's strengths), but he really seems to have massive game. A quiet assassin who we're fortunate to have at the helm..

My conclusion as to which one?
    IMO both are elite GM's. Too close to separate them at this point. (I know, I know Stone is just getting started, but..he kicks @$$) I guess I'll cop out and answer.....Both are great. Daryl is a wizard and Stone is the right guy to rebuild this franchise.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Too early to tell. Tanking isn't hard. It's what he does starting this season that will determine if this man has what it takes to run team Landrys.

jdiggidy, Easy, mikenm268 and 4 others like this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

We never got to really see Morey rebuild, Les Alexander was content with mediocre as long as the team generated enough value for him to sell.... Morey did luck out on Harden, but if we remove Harden from the equation I cant see Houston being very good during his time here. Adding Harden back to the equation and putting the pieces he did around him almost got Houston to The Finals...

Morey pretty much ran out of players and picks to trade, had no way out and jumped ship.

Stone has an owner who is letting him do things the right way, so far Stone took the mess Morey, Harden and MDA left and somehow jumpstarted Houston from nearly a negative to a very young and exciting team with potential super stars in the future.

Its still too early to tell, but if Stones current moves so far are indicative of what's to come. Stone>Morey and its not even close...

csc177, ashleyem, rockets1995 and 5 others like this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. We still have to see how the rookies pan out. Are they Assets or are they actually viable building blocks. The jury is still out on Jalen Green and KPJ. Wood has been great and I hope to see even more improvements. Let's see where this team goes and how it develops.

DeBeards, Salvy and clos4life like this.
  5. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

My psyche prefers Stone. He seems like a well-adjusted adult, and the results are good so far. I'd rather be a Rockets fan than the alternatives right now. Having a contending team always makes the team seem impatient.

6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Stone > Morey

Eventually you casuals will see fertitta be better than Le$ also

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

How are u gonna compare Stone vs Morey when Stone has only been on the job for 1 year?

So far stealing Harden from OKC is far better than any move Stone has made in his short time as GM.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Sample size…

burlesk, SWTsig, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Too early to give a legitimate comparison but Stone is off to a great start.

If he maintains this level of success for as long as Morey did we're in luck.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey would’ve been considered the best GM easily if we had won in 2018, especially with Presti looking like a dummy. Being the Nets or Lakers GM or even Warriors is easy, Rockets not so much and Morey got us easily 5 all star (caliber) players in Scola, Artest, Lowry, Harden, Dwight & CP3. That’s amazing! Given the context I definitely prefer Stone who’s shown great promise, so the easy answer is the last one.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

As a fan of Morey it pains me to state this

Stone might be greater than Morey (results pending)

Difference right now is Stone isn't banking entire career on obtaining 3 superstars
    at all cost. Not to say Stone won't turn into that bridge blocking troll later.

Right now Stone has the luxury of going with what he has. Ben Simmons refusing a trade
    to Houston, Aaron Gordon refusing a trade to Houston.....maybe others unreported??

Jalen Green/Porter might get Houston to a championship sooner than Embiid for Philly.
    Let's see if Stone can obtain shooters around Porter/Green where Morey failed providing
    shooters around Harden (for the sake of that unobtainable 3rd star) most years.

12. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

This is a question for about 5 years into Stone's run as GM.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean...what criteria are we using to drive who we pick? If you're wanting to know who I would pick based on what they've accomplish thus far, it's a no brainer. If you're wanting me to pick based on whether or not the Stone Age will be more successful (e.g. at least one trip to the Finals) than the Morey era...I'd say sure?...give it to Stone? If you're wanting me to pick based on their draft history I guess I'll give it to stone because he doesn't have a thirst for 6'9" power forwards?

Morey's time here didn't bring trophies home and we all want to be macho and say that's the only thing that matters but he's the guy that was in charge of:

1. Putting together a team that won 22 games in a row
    2. Masterminding the trade that got us McGrady
    3. Masterminding the multiple trades that eventually got us Harden
    4. Putting together a team that was one half away from getting to the NBA Finals

among other great memories.

Critics will say it's all for nothing but as a Rockets fan I rather have these moments than to be a fan of a team like the Jazz or the Nuggets or the Pelicans or the Blazers where mediocrity has been their calling card for most of this century. It definitely all ended on a horrific note but let's not kid ourselves and say/believe that Morey's time here wasn't very good.

primtim24, Deckard, burlesk and 8 others like this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Context, indeed. As in what amount of freedom do/did each to do their jobs as they see/saw fit.

Previous owner had certain directives we ‘knew’ about. Not positive what current franchisee sees as the specific directive.

15. conquistador#11

Morey found one of the best Rockets in Rockets history and lived off that for a decade. Stone was his understudy and is now ready to make his own legacy. The World Is Yours, mayne.

xiki likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

> Calls people casuals
    > Literally only joined this site because the Rockets were projected to draft Jalen Green.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's way too early to tell.

Morey had young and prime Harden. Stone is hoping Green turns into something like prime Harden.

clos4life, burlesk, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Nobody wanted to get Morey'd so he essentially neutered himself.

burlesk and Ramo$e like this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Impossible question to answer considering Stone hasn’t done anything yet. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anyone get as much undeserved praise as Stone had on here. I hope he’s as good as many people on here think he already is.

MettaWorldPete and HP3 like this.
  20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’m starting to wonder if Stone was the magic behind Morey’s wizardry. All this time and we should’ve been saying,”in STONE we trust”

roslolian likes this.