1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Poloshirtbandit

Can we wait until we're officially in before scheduling like this? I'm ok with the HBCU games, but these FCS games are dumb.

2. Aware

Aware Member

The AAC was really kind to us.
    It was the spark that we needed to get athletics going again at UH. Its just unfortunate that the conference took on so much dead weight.

Looking forward to joining the B12 leftovers.

Hippieloser likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I've really, really enjoyed the AAC, but UH absolutely deserved a spot and will be a great fit in the new Big 12.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I can't believe Holgorsen gets paid a fat bonus if we're invited to the B12. He has actually made UH LESS attractive as an option. I don't see any way he survives past this season. He is washed up as all hell.

Clayton Tune is not a Div I QB and it's been apparent since day 1. Four interceptions! Clayton Tune WAS Tech's offense on Saturday. He is now 0-7 against football teams with a pulse.

These jokers are killing the program. Ask yourself what player with options is going to sign up to get beat down 31-0 in the second half on ESPN?

#6444 Hippieloser, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict and Aware like this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Holgorsen has been a complete disappointment. Feels like the Holgorsen and Applewhite years have really sapped all the energy out of the program.

It’s likely impossible to find a Sampson for football. That type of hiring is one for the ages. But there are Sumlins and Hermans out there every year - the coaching Icaruses that can give the program a shot in the arm for a few years before moving on and having their wings melt off under a bigger spotlight. At least with them you‘ll get some big games and exciting moments even if it doesn’t last long. These past few years have been so dull.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Big 12 move should (theoretically) help?

Yeah, it’d be nice if the coach stayed “forever” instead of hiring a new one every 3-5 years (because he’s moving up) but give me the guy who’s moving on, leaving the program on “top” or good condition instead of the alternative.

Great, you got “continuity” and “familiar faces” with Tony Levine and Major Applewhite. Great, you don’t have to worry about them leaving because they suck and no one wants them…awesome!

Great, Tilman got his drinking buddy Holgorsen. :D

Just never that into Holgorsen.

(I don’t even remember who else was interviewed…Kliff? Tim DeRuyter?)

Easy schedule, maybe there is hope to turn it around, win 9 games.

@ Rice
    Grambling State
    Navy
    @ Tulsa
    @ Tulane
    East Carolina
    SMU
    @ South Florida
    @ Temple
    Memphis
    @ UConn

(But hell nah, I ain’t taking DH back to the Big 12 in two/three years :D)

7. Hippieloser

There’s no way Holgorsen coaches another game in the B12.

8. Buck Turgidson

Wow that's a weak slate of games.

9. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

As weak as the schedule is, I only see 6-7 wins tops. Rice, Granbling State, East Carolina, South Florida, and Temple should be wins. The other six a couple of blowout losses and hope we catch a break and win a close game in the others. If we play like we played in the 2nd half against Texas Tech, Rice will kick our ass as well. Same problem as last year. We can't put a complete game of football together. Strength and conditioning appears to be an issue. .

HTXSportsAddict and Hippieloser like this.
  10. Aware

Aware Member

We got a shot at 7 or 8 wins before getting blown out by a mountain west team in some shitty bowl game

Dana might survive another season

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He might survive because he is Tilmans drinking buddy and Tillman will claim he is too broke to pay the buyout.

Aware likes this.
  12. Hippieloser

I feel like Tillman isn’t shelling out to lose. He feels every loss in the pocketbook. He’s got plenty of assholes to drink with.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Holgorsen’s head hasn’t been in coaching for years. Hell, he basically tapped out while he was still at West Virginia. He used to be pretty good, but he seems to have other priorities now, and Houston deserves WAY way better than the shell of a coach he is today. I loved the hire when they first made it, but my West Virginia buddies told me I’d ultimately regret it, and it turns out they were right. He’s been a massive disappointment.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Houston is a step too slow. The Big 12 is nothing now. It's become just another conference with no relevance. unfortunately, Houston fits right in. But we could have been more had we been able to dominate the American. We just didn't get it done.

The offense looks a lot like the Applewhite offense. Whoever said Horizontal in the game thread was spot on. It's fighting itself.

15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Does anyone know what happened to Bryson Smith? I see he is listed as active on the roster but as a WR. They show he still wears #1 on his jersey, same as Dell. In light of our current QB predicament he is someone who in limited chances in the past showed some promise. Wondering if he is still with the team.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw he left the team an 'academic casualty'

17. Poloshirtbandit

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

Congrats UH, better late than never!

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member