1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[travel] Anyone flown to Heathrow lately?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Sep 9, 2021.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Have a trip to England coming up in a few weeks. First time there and I'm trying to figure out timing of a train once we arrive. I'm seeing that the customs lines can be crazy long. Just wondering if anyone has any insight or tips if you've traveled there fairly recently.

2. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I was there last year and it depends on where you are staying; the Heathrow Express is pricey but the convenience after an intercontinental flight is well worth it and will take you to Paddington Station where you can pretty much get anywhere (I always stay near Paddington anyway). How long are you there?

RKREBORN, leroy and rockbox like this.
  3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or just take the regular tube. Piccadilly line isn’t that much slower and takes you more into central London.

leroy likes this.
  4. leroy

Not very long. Leaving Houston late on a Thursday and get to Heathrow Fri. morning. From there we're headed to Manchester to see the United game on Saturday. Then back to London on Sunday for the Arsenal game. Fly home on Tuesday.

I'm responsible for making the train reservations and I'm confused as hell. I'm confused as to how we get from the airport to Euston station.

desihooper likes this.
  5. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

leroy and Blake like this.
  6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I go to London for work 3-4x per year but haven’t been there since Feb 2020 so not sure post-Covid. Once off the plane, will take about 20 minutes to walk to customs. Customs is now fast with a US passport where you go to the right side to the automated gates. 10 minutes on a crowded day and doubtful anything is crowded anymore. Luggage right outside customs. Another 15 minute or so walk if you want to get the Express to paddington (tip buy your round trip ticket on the other side of customs)

paddington has other trains as well as an ample taxi stand to get you where you want to go.

leroy and rockbox like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No need to stress. Take the regular tube which takes you to a main stop at the end. Reference the map before you leave to find the transfer you need to take after that to your hotel.

leroy likes this.
  8. leroy

Apparently, getting through customs has been bad lately.

So we should wait to buy the tickets to Manchester once we get into the station at Terminal 2?

9. Blake

No you can book tickets from Euston to Manchester now. I’m talking about the to/from Heathrow in the Heathrow Express which gets you to paddington station and into London proper. Think another poster linked how you can get to Euston from paddington.

Since this is a quick trip, and apologies if you’ve done your share of international travel and know this already, but the easiest way (for me at least and works every time) to combat jet lag and get on schedule is to stay awake all day once you arrive in the UK. You will want to take a nap but don’t do it. Stay up all day even if you only slept a few hours on the flight and then have a few beers if you drink with dinner. Then go to bed and it should carry you through the night and you should wake up on schedule.

leroy likes this.
  10. leroy

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm just a little concerned with getting through customs and then getting to Euston on time to make the train if we book early. Currently figuring out the testing requirements since it's such a short trip. The Day 2 test coincides with being inside the window to take the exit test before we leave. Hoping we only have to take 1 test in that case.

Any suggestions on where to stay in London? We're not concerned with staying near Emirates Stadium. We'd rather be around some pubs.

I'm not an experienced international flyer...with the exception of a few Caribbean trips within the same time zone as Houston. This is all new to me. Flight is over night so I'm hoping to sleep mostly on the plane. We get into London at 11:30 BST so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to adjust.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

They have people at the train stations to help stupid Americans. I had to have someone help me in Amsterdam after I had too much fun at the coffee shops.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Getting through as an American is super easy and fast. Take Uber, public transportation is for poor people

13. Blake

Lots of places near Leicester Square. West End of London is the more touristy area. Would imagine hotels are cheap these days.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sounds about right

15. Buck Turgidson