1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I hate this trend where we only compare white prospects to white players. If Chet looks like a giant Pascal Siakam or Lamar Odom with better shooting I shouldn't have to rack my brain to find another white player who does the same. Stop comparing him to bigs. I was saying this about Mobley but it's 1000x more pronounced in Chet. He's not a big, he's a wing that just happened to grow into the size of a big. His play style has more in common with CP3 than it does with DeAndre Jordan.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I watch his highlights in high school and all I see is a dude who was taller than everyone else. Once he loses that height advantage in the NBA what is his elite skill that will translate well in the nba. His 3 pt shot is average. I didn't see much handles. Like I just don't see how he's gonna be good. Even if he can block shots does he have quick enough feet to switch out and guard guys on perimeter?

I think Evan Mobley is a better prospect than him and I didn't want the Rockets to draft Mobley either,

3. Nook

Nook Member

You see Porz? Then watch more of Chet… because Porz cannot put the ball on the floor like Chet, he lacks the court vision of Chet… he doesn’t break people down off the dribble like Chet does either… so how exactly are they similar? They are tall white guys that can sometimes shoot from the outside? Chet has vastly superior shot blocking instincts as well and he eats and sleeps basketball…. Comparing them is lazy like when @what said Rudy Gay was Kevin Durant. Do you REALLY want to be compared to @what ? Because that is the territory you are in right now… and BTW no one wants Zingas because he is a lazy Jake and had a serious injury that really limited his athleticism.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm not saying the guy has handles like Kyrie but he's miiiiles ahead of the guys you mentioned like Kaminsky or Zeller. He has decent handles, good enough to lead a fast break or attack a closeout. Kaminsky would probably break his legs if he tried a crossover. That's why I compped him to players like Siakam or Odom who have decent handles and shooting and can thrive because of their size. If you're only looking for white players to comp every white prospect to then you're not gonna be very accurate.

Here's his most recent major outing:

He's not Giannis or KD but he has a lot of things that a traditional big like Capela and especially a stiff like Kaminsky could never dream of. I still prefer Banchero or Bates but we can't just lock in our assessment on Height or race based comparisons. You have to be more open minded than that. If you wanted to force a white guy comparison and you said Kaminsky and I said Payton Pritchard, my comp would be more accurate.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This thread took a ridiculous turn

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I fell like you underrate Porzingis cuz of what you see now after injuries. But Porzingis had elite shot blocking when he first came in the league. 2.4 blocks per 36 minutes against nba players is pretty darn good,

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet literally has better athleticism, length, defensive ability, handles and scoring potential than Bates. The definition of unicorn.
    The upside is best player in the league, the downside is massive bust.

HTXSportsAddict and Nook like this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I know his game is nothing like Kaminsky. I was just saying I see him becoming a role player like Kaminsky over being a super star that's all. He will be a good player in the league but I just don't see superstar potential in him.

Even if he becomes Siakam or Odom neither of those guys are number 1 pick worthy. That's all I'm saying. He might be a unicorn and stand out to become a great player and I'll be wrong. I would just prefer some of the other top names over him.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Porz was a good shot blocker… but he doesn’t have near the instincts or ability that Chet does as a shot blocker. There is a good chance Chet leads the league in blocked shots a few times.

That doesn’t even get into the fact that Porz does not have the same degree of body control that that Chet has… he doesn’t move side to side like Chet, he doesn’t have the handle Chet has… Zingas was a great leaper that was fairly explosive and could shoot well… that is a different skill set than Chet…. Chet isn’t as good a set three point shooter (yet), Chet isn’t as explosive an athlete but a far more fluid athlete… Chet has vastly superior court vision…,a far better handle and just a superior understanding of the game..

Chet will play the 4/5 on paper in the NBA and he will block shots and get rebounds and alter shots… but he is going to have the ball in his hands in the NBA in transition and as long as he doesn’t get hurt he will be directing the offense… something Porzingas isn’t capable of.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

He lacks superstar upside?

He is currently 7’2” with a 7’6” wingspan… he has a strong vertical jump… he has a handle like a guard and can push the ball in transition like a point guard… he blocks shots like a center and can shoot pulls ups from outside or off the dribble… oh and he also has strong basketball instincts, has a really solid work ethic and has a mean streak on the court.

What part of that doesn’t sound like the upside of a superstar?

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said even in videos you post I'm not impressed cuz he's blocking dudes that are way shorter than him and will not be in the nba and he doesn't look like he has elite speed. I see buckets on guys half his size

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Your eyes are broken, and still a tad racist.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If you are so confident let's bet. Chet Holmgren will never be a superstar in the league. 100 bucks to tip jar if he ever does. If he doesn't you out 100.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What constitutes superstar?
    All star appearances?

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What want it to be?

7 all star appearances? This is mainly a popularity contest. So it's gotta to multiple times.
    5 all nba teams?
    Best player on winning team?
    Best player on championship team?
    1 MVP?

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m down, you got a bet.

Htown Legend and RHU525 like this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It really does feel racist and very weird.

Kevin Garnett, Tyson Chandler, Kevin Durant, and on and on and on, all came into the league as skinny as Chet. Hell, Michael Jordan added about 40 lbs of muscle from when he entered the league. Jalen Green is just as skinny and is going to have to do the same damn thing.

Also, this kid isn't a center. You guys keep talking about how he's going to fare against Jokic. He's not even going to be assigned to guard Jokic. He's a small forward that just happens to be 7 foot.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I didn’t even read the last part of your statement. Not only is it patently false, it is definitely a touch racist.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those guys are all black Chet Holmgrem is white. Im sorry but black guys are built different. You can all that racist but I'll just say look at all the best players in history how many are them are black vs white? At some point you gotta admit black dudes generally have better genetics at least physically. The only unicorns we have seen work out so far are all black, Giannis, KD and AD. The rest have been unable to put on weight like Zhou Qi or became injury prone like Porzingis and Yao Ming. Maybe Holmgrem is the exception we dont know but the odds are stacked against him and even if he does make its not gonna be instant impact its gonna take years. Sorry but if you are taking somebody no 1 in a deep ass draft he better be able to make some noise in his first year and compete for ROY.

Holmgrem shot 23% from 3 and 45% from ft in high school how good is a wing who cant shoot 3s and fts? This is literally the same as Mobley situation everybody projecting he is a wing when he been playing center all this time. KD shot 50% from 3 in college thats why he is a wing and everybody knows he will be a wing. Till Holmgrem starts shooting lights out like KD he shouldnt be seen as a wing.

#119 roslolian, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok how many of the best players in the NBA are black vs white? Lol its false but literally Bird the only white dude in pretty much all the top 10 best players list. Oh yeah thats just a coincidence smh.