1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is more likely to win a chip first?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Sep 6, 2021.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We have yet to see any of our rookies have played a real game and all of a sudden we have a better chance of winning it all than the 76ers, something we had yet to do in 25ish years.

A more fun thread would b. After lebron James retire, which team will win another ring first Lakers or Rockets. Or which team Nets w/ harden or tilman Rockets win a ring first.

2. Fefo

Fefo Member

Its just ridiculous mate. I dont know if the sixers are "likely" to win in the next 5 years, but i know they are in the mix, and if things go their way they certainly have a chance.
    On the other hand, we are one of the worst teams in the league, lots of very young talent, but we dont even know what we have.
    I dont think jalen green will be bust, but he might be, who knows, he hasnt played a single nba minute.
    The sixers are millon more times more likely to win before us. Will they actually do it? Its impossible to tell, but they are certainly waaay better positioned than we are at this moment.
    And by the way, that doesnt mean we cant or we wont win in the next 10 years, but its imposible to make that kind of judgment when most of our talent hasnt even been tested or developed in the nba.

3. Fefo

Fefo Member

i agree with this. I dont think he is done by any means, but as a max player he certainly is.

4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This isn't as clear as you make it. You are thinking short sighted. There is a certain position where a team can find itself mired in mediocrity and it is hard to get out of. The sixers, as great as they were in the regular season, cannot win with ben, and ben is the max contract that a team is supposed to spend on their first or second option in a championship team. Think around the league, would anyone trade anything NEAR a finals level second option for ben? Then you have Tobias who is also overpaid, so that takes away their ability to add bench talent. Then add to that the fact that the east is getting stronger. Butler, Bam, and Lowry alone are better than the sixers three (and don't sleep on Haslem, herro and Duncan)

The sixers' window has closed, but they won't (reasonably so) give up their futile attempts. Meanwhile our rebuild has started strong. We will have a huge head start on them.

Jalen Green OnlyFan and Kevooooo like this.
  5. Fefo

Fefo Member

thank god you dont work as an nba analyst.
    You cant claim the sixers windows its closed, thats just ridiculous. They have a prime embiid , who when healthy is one of the most important players you can have in the league and they have a nice supporting cast.
    We gotta wait and see what they can get for Ben, wich i think in the end will be haliburton and buddy hield, coz if they can get a decent fit around embiid, they can win. By the way, i dont think they are the favourites, but they got a chance.
    If we learned anything this year, is that injuries can derail even the best teams, if not ask brooklin.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

One of the worst teams: I don't agree with this. Last season we dealt with a ton of injuries and the departure of a HOF player that was purposefully pissing off his teammates. We did quite okay the next few weeks, until the injuries became too much -- then we had that enormous loss and JW went into "rehab on the court mode."

I completely agree we don't KNOW what we have yet. But this thread (and 95% of threads on CF) are about speculation.

Sixers being a million times more likely to win before us...again, in the next few years ABSOLUTELY they are. But you're ignoring the points I and a few others have made...after a few years, Embiid's contract and HEALTH and the other big contracts they have, coupled with the almost certain loss of Simmons without equal return means that once their window begins to close, it will likely close FAST. They're in a similar position we were in, as good as we were year after year, we still had to face the juggernaut that was GSW. Sixers will have to compete with the prime super teams of Nets/Bucks and perhaps Heat during their window.

Way better positioned than we are AT THIS MOMENT: I am not disagreeing with you...I'm saying their moment is the next three years. After that, we could start seriously competing (IF our talent develops).

So again, if you break it down into two windows -- the immediate three year window, and then after those three years -- after three years, are they really in a good position to win?

I don't have much faith that Embiid can stay healthy and he will be making 55M. Harden made max money but didn't miss games and was virtually unbreakable (till he went to BKN). Embiid is not Harden.

Embiid games played:
    14 -- missed bc of foot
    15 -- missed bc of foot
    16 -- 31 games
    17 -- 63
    18 -- 64
    19 -- 51
    20 -- 51

7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

why did you write "when healthy"?

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  8. Fefo

Fefo Member

Why do you think i did?
    But last year, he was playing until they got eliminated. He can do it again, if he is lucky. As i said, im not saying the sixers are the favourites, but with some lucky breaks they can win it all. We are projected to be one of the worst teams in the league, wich is fine by the way, we are really young and we have a lot of good pieces to build.

9. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Think about it this way. Sixers are stuck in mediocre playoff team mode.

We are still bottoming out and getting top talent. Sixers will be in our position in 5 years max

10. Fefo

Fefo Member

Thats the whole point. They have a chance to win, we have nothing yet.

11. Fefo

Fefo Member

I dont think they are mediocre, i think like most contenders, they are one move away and a sprinkle of luck away from a championship. We are years of development, good drafting and good signings away from being anything. As i said, i like our young core, we did awesome, but we dont know how they will perform in the nba.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They were the 1 seed last year. Embiid can be the best player on the court in any series. I don’t think they’re better then the Nets or Bucks but certainly an injury to any team can put them in the finals.

13. Garner

Garner Member

they have embiid, so clearly that is the better choice here.

Also, folks, use paragraphs. A block of text is brutal.