1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Meyers appears to be the real deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Aug 15, 2021.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Dude reminds me of a young Jim Edmonds. Hoping this isnt a flash in the pan situation, but the way he hits the ball makes me think he isnt.

Snake Diggit and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Except right handed and not a hotdog showoff?

RunninRaven and cwebbster like this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Is split grip a thing in the mlb?

4. Buck Turgidson

Ask the cleat chasers.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am hoping that part of Meyers low walk / high k rate is from hitting in front of Maldonado. Pitchers may feel comfortable being more aggressive with him knowing that there’s a weak hitter in front of him. Hopefully as pitchers realize how good he is at punishing stuff over the plate they will be more cautious with him which should allow him to walk more and strikeout less. His .439 babip won’t hold so hopefully something changes to partially offset when that starts to normalize.

I’m also hoping next season Meyers hits higher than 8th (or they acquire a better hitting catcher).

6. Buck Turgidson

The other issue is that someone has to hit 8th

The Beard and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

i think it was a splitter that didn’t move. But like you said, a BP fastball and he didn’t miss it

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Altuve bats next, followed by 6 great hitters. Pitchers can't depend on getting 27 outs from Maldy.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is a very good point. I suppose having a super aggressive hitter like Meyers in front of Maldy is the right call, since it means pitchers will be punished more severely for their aggression (HR are of increased value in front of an automatic out relative to walks).

10. the shark

the shark Member

Usually with a young kid coming up they're trying to take advantage of the opportunity. Thus they're going up there with a mindset to swing the bat. I think over time he'll realize he needs to be more selective and take the walk if they're pitching around him. Plus he'll feel more confident that he's earned his spot on the team and isn't going to be Sent down.

11. Jeremy Williams

https://www.astrosfuture.com/2019/05/projecting-the-houston-astros-2022-lineup/

I got a laugh out of these projections for 2022. Who would have thought that the only player in that lineup besides Altuve would be Castro?

Here are my thoughts on an everyday lineup for next season--
    2B Altuve
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    1B Gurriel
    RF Tucker
    CF Meyers
    SS Diaz
    C Maldonado/Castro

I think Meyers bats 7th most often next season.

Also, with the offensive depth we have, I think this offseason needs to be focused solely on pitching.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I heard a scout talking about Jake and he said that Jake is rare in that he has a true plan and approach when he gets in the box. He said that the average will go down some but the OBP will go up because he isn’t going to be beat by non strikes. If teams want to avoid throwing him pitches in his zone, they can do that but he will walk a lot.

Jake is an interesting player to watch. From what I have seen he has actually appeared better than even his numeric measurables show with the Astros.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Depending on where you set your bar, Houston might not have any needs. Here’s how I would project their 2022 roster as it stands:

C: Maldonado, Castro; $8.5M, 1 fwar
    IF: Gurriel, Altuve, Bregman, Diaz, Jones, Pena/Garcia/De Goti/etc; $54.6M, 15 fwar
    OF: Tucker, Meyers, Brantley, Alvarez, McCormick; $18.4M, 13 fwar
    Total for position players: $81.5M, 29 fwar

Rotation: Valdez, McCullers, Garcia, Urquidy, Odorizzi; $26.6M, 14 fwar
    Bullpen: Javier, Maton, Taylor, James, Baez, Montero, Stanek, Pressly; $23.3M, 6fwar
    Total for pitchers: $49.9M, 20 fwar

Total for roster: $131.4M, 49 fwar

40 fwar is usually good enough to make the playoffs, 50+ fwar usually is an all-time great team. For now, if I were Click I would sign the best free agent SS I could and save the rest of the money for deadline pitching and other opportunistic acquisitions.

IowaAstro likes this.
  14. bushies

bushies Member

Totally on the same page as ponying up for Correa. People underestimate how his voice plays an important leadership role on the team

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Jeremy Williams

I'm not on board for shelling out an 8-12 year contract.

16. Jeremy Williams

If our bullpen sinks our playoff experience in 2021, the priority has to be finding a major piece of 2 for the pen.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, every one of those relievers I listed except Pressly has major questions. On the other hand, every one of them has shown potential to be an effective late inning high leverage arm. And of all of them only Javier and Taylor will have options remaining. If Click determines any of Baez, Montero, Stanek, Maton, or James won’t be really good, he should look to upgrade from them.

18. Jeremy Williams

A lot does remain to be seen in the playoffs. If any of those guys ramp up their game, it's a whole other story. It's nice to see our budget so much lower next season. Hopefully it allows us some freedom.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hope to see this soon. Right now, Maldonaldo is kicking Meyers butt in regards to spitting on non-strikes. Granted, Meyers is destroying pitches that get too much plate.

Screaming Fist and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed.

I was watching his at bats against Anderson because Anderson is such an off speed pitcher..... Meyers fouled off some of the off speed stuff in his zone and he let a couple of pitches go that were clearly out of the zone. Anderson did get him on an off speed pitch 6 inches outside the zone on the outside corner that is outside of Meyers zone. It was a good pitch by Anderson but it is one you would hope Meyers would learn to take. I know Meyers had two strikes and had been set up well for that pitch.... but it is a pitch that a really good hitter lays off of, even with two strikes.