1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about mediocre Rockets videos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why is it not amazing? They can be giving us so much content right now. In general official NBA team channels are extremely unimaginative and out of touch.

It's never as current as it should be, sometimes archaic and cheesy. The press conference audio and video is always way below the standards of a multi billion dollar league and team.

This is a really good time to talk about it because there's the least amount of action so if you can make great content in September then you'll be able to do it the rest of the year easy.

How much daily content and what type would you love?

Personally I want less highlights, more raw stuff. I want to see coach visiting players in the off-season and advising them. I want to see data of last summer vs this summer in terms of who is improving their shooting and fitness. I want to hear from shooting and conditioning coaches more often. I want to see what they talk about when they grab a meal together, just for fun. I want to know if Usman Garuba has arrived in Las Vegas yet.

What would you love to see in one central rockets channel? What do you like that you've seen on other channels?

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I'm ok with mediocre Rockets videos for now as long as they show me some more videos. It can be ANYTHING, at this point.

We're deep enough into the offseason that any basketball content (however tangentially related) will make me salivate.

To answer the question, though, I would love to see the Rockets channel show more behind-the-scenes stuff: like the guys watching game film, practice, our staff scouting opposing players, etc.

Mathloom and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

awesome! someone should make this into a business proposal and PM tilman

Mathloom likes this.
  4. rockets13champs

the NY jets do one jets Drive I’d love the rockets to do this

Mathloom likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you get those fancy videos once training camp starts?

tinman likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah everyone has those videos of the company saying the company is amazing. That's really poor modern storytelling and gets old when you abuse it as much as they have. I don't only want to see someone making all their shots or being their best self.

Couple weeks ago Silas visited Wood, Wall and KPJ who are all working on their games. We could be watching all that + their personal coaches + what has been the biggest struggle they're trying to overcome + Silas's advice.

We could be watching Patrick discussing his new role. We could be watching Stone recapping the summer.

And that's just the basketball. I want to see these players be themselves too. With their friends and family, if they go out to dinner, etc. The rookies are so interesting man: Spain, Turkey, Philippines, USA 19 year olds who dominated their competition thus far?

This is not fancy stuff at all. Just raw, clean, FRESH and REGULAR stuff. I've often wondered what our guys are up to and then have to dig for all of them on various social media, and that's if they happen to be posting. Imagine the rockets YouTube being up to date DAILY. Anytime you wonder what the team is up to or thinking, one central location. Would be killer imo, the NBA overall is surprisingly lagging heavily in this area.

hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Maybe everyone doesn't want to be on video during their offseason? It's not a Big Brother reality show.

Do other teams do what you're asking?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You ever watch ATT Sports net? They run that stuff on the Rockets insider shows all the time.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

I would blame some of the low budget Zoom stuff, since logistical challenges from COVID, but the production wasn't that hot prior.

Not saying their videos needs to be in 4K or whatever. But you got self-employed youtubers and tik-tokers who self produce and have better quality.

If the org is like basketball guys who's trying wear 3 different hats, I can sympathize but I'm pretty sure every NBA team has their media department camera/graphics guys. Just as our rookies are hitting the gyms and putting up practice shots, the media guys needs to up their game! :D

Jontro likes this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Buck hit it on the head. There's a reason it's the "offseason." Players need a break from work; I'm sure most don't want a camera recording stuff during downtime.

Also, the content you're describing may be interesting for you, but for most fans, I think the content may be extremely dry and...not boring, per se, but just not attention-grabbing enough. If that makes sense. I personally might tune in for the idea, but would probably watch something else after 3 minutes.

It'd be like if you had a camera follow you around after work and film what errands you did, what conversations you have with your family, etc. I don't think it's enough interesting content for a majority of would-be viewers.

hakeem94 and kdchilds like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I agree that the content has always been severely lacking. Obviously this year and last, COVID has been a significant hinderance, but that doesn't excuse the decade before with all the technology and angles. Hell, they could even rip some YouTube fan footage from games. I've got some great ones, like the Green corner three game winner -- forgot who we were playing but I had mid court 3rd row seats!

They may still have restrictions on interactions and also teams are prohibited from holding team activities for a certain period in the off-season, if I'm not mistaken.

But you're absolutely right. For a multi billion dollar industry, they don't invest much effort in media materials. Maybe they feel like with ESPN, NBATV, social media, and all the online blogs/websites, fans have enough and it's not worth dedicating money and personnel.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just hope the Rockets games aren't mediocre.

Mathloom and BelgianRocketsFan like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm game for an nba reality for every team.

Mathloom likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

I wonder what type of breakfast Sengun and Green eat.

I’ve been going hard on chick fil a breakfast burritos.

Jontro and Mathloom like this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I've been working with influencers for a long time and while I personally would agree with you for my life, these guys are all filming all the time, and all want exposure. A quick look at their social accounts will tell you. Pretty easy sell for all but established stars. Obviously, whoever doesn't want to be in there doesn't have to be, it's bonus for them.

I've done some actual analytics on this and people just eat this stuff up on their social accounts (I also had a look at league-wide youtube accounts). The traffic is demonstrable.

Can discuss this forever, but basically this is a tried and tested model, the only question is why the Rockets are this far behind.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Everyone doesn't have to be.

Some teams have made half-assed efforts, nothing worth noting. A few players have done a good job but not with the consistency that the algorithm thirsts for.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't disagree with you - influencers definitely want exposure and would probably love any filmed activity (however mundane) to go viral. But of the things you want to see, I'm not sure if either party (the viewers and the players being viewed) would be interested enough.

I'm sure these young players would love if the camera was on them at a club or at the beach or otherwise doing something they love. There's a reason why influencers make TikToks and Youtube videos of something they enjoy, but no one usually makes TikToks and YT videos discussing their plans on how to reach a broader audience or how to better appeal for sponsorships or advertisers. It'd be boring to make a video of you sitting there talking about that stuff, and it'd be even more boring for the audience that usually tunes in.

Let's talk about the examples you gave, in your OP. A coach visiting a player and discussing their game sounds like it'd be interesting for all of 2 minutes. And even then, either the coach or the player will have to hype up the visit and act for the camera, which adds pressure to both the coach and player. What if the coach has something bad to say about the player? Does the player want that stuff in the media? Does the coach? And if the coach has nothing but nice words for the player, what's the point of the visit in the first place? Can just video call the player and tell them good job or something.

Charts of players that have improved. Well, I'd like to see that too, but again, would players and staff want that stuff in the public? What does it say about player A who didn't improve from last season to this one? What if the need arises to trade player A? Everyone would know that this player hasn't improved on the court, thus diminishing his value. You can easily just post stats only for players who've improved, but then people are going to question why player X isn't on the list. Did this player not improve? In fact, has player X actually regressed?

Hearing from shooting and conditioning coaches. Kinda falls in line with the reasoning from the preceding paragraph. Should it be public knowledge that player G didn't improve, whereas player J improved immensely? Good PR would be a blanket statement saying everyone has shown signs of improvement, but then that's just par for the course.

tl;dr? I agree that more content is good...but it has to be interesting content for a wide range of people for it to be good.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not sure what to say except that there's data to say otherwise, regardless of what we both believe. I'm not really wondering if there's enough interest or how to funnel it.

19. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Raw like what you mean