1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finding Religion in your 40s

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Sep 4, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yo. Random Saturday night thread.

I grew up fully Jewish - not orthodox, but Bar Mitzvah and everything. But shortly after that I stopped participating and have been no religious my entire adult life.

but I am interested in finding religion again. Various reasons why.

that said… I don’t think i am open to quickly believing in angels, reincarnations, Noah’s ark type stuff. Rather I want to get in touch with spirituality and meditation.

so I’m kind of open to everything.

I am happy to give more details but has anyone done this? Anyone have any suggested religions to look into? Bonus points if in Austin and have Austin specific ideas.

Gracias amigos.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

do what sting did years ago and travel east

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

why am I crying in the club readin this

Nook, London'sBurning and Xerobull like this.
  4. Garner

Garner Member

Hi. Good for you. I don't have experience in this path, but would suggest you surround yourself with a small community of folks that can engage in conversation that fuels your personal / religious growth. I'd imagine you're going to have to step outside your comfort zone a bit, but that seems rewarding in its own right. Check out some different houses of worship and follow what feels good.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Do some research and take a lot of mushrooms afterwards.

But really, most people just want a community and practice some rituals or works together to feel a sense of belonging and meaning. If they have children, also give them a way of life to practice less potentially screwy values.

dmoneybangbang and FrontRunner like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Avoid all of us heathens here.

Invisible Fan and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I enjoy listening to audiobooks from Dr. Wayne Dyer on occasion. He did a movie called The Shift with Portia De Rossi a few years back. The whole thing is probably available online.

Credos[edit]
    My beliefs are that the truth is a truth until you organize it, and then it becomes a lie. I don't think that Jesus was teaching Christianity, Jesus was teaching kindness, love, concern, and peace. What I tell people is don't be Christian, be Christ-like. Don't be Buddhist, be Buddha-like.[22] Religion is orthodoxy, rules and historical scriptures maintained by people over long periods of time. Generally, people are raised to obey the customs and practices of that religion without question. These are customs and expectations from outside the person and do not fit my definition of spiritual.[23]

Wikipedia
    I was on a little fungi kick for a while there too, until it became unenjoyable. It certainly raised some questions in my mind.

dmoneybangbang and B-Bob like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I couldn’t belong to a religion that would have me as a member, but I wish you well on your journey.

ico4498 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

hello friend. i am glad you are seeking the truth. i have some friends in Austin who might provide insight/audit into how you became the way you are today. Might you be interested in a free! stress test to start the process? no obligations. let me know. your amazing future awaits.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

One question I would ask is. Are you seeking some answers of the spiritual kind. Ways to look at life, meaning, and a direction. Or are you looking more for a communal support type of situation?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Buy your own personal tropical island and do naked yoga on the beach at sunrise?

Yeah, everyone should try that.

Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was big into sunlight straight to the butthole. Maybe that’s where this melanoma came from though….

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@JayZ750 you should try a Unitarian church. They take the message from other religions and distill it for their members. So you get that feel-good religious vibe and positive atmosphere without all of the archaic trappings (and sometimes negativity) of established religious dogma.

The Shift the narrator talks about in this movie is something I’ve held as a core tenant for about 10 years. Anyone can change in a heartbeat. Everyone does change in a heartbeat, if they do change. Everything leading up to that point is just pomp and drama. It’s helped me be able to pivot on a dime because I knew the conclusion was going to happen, I might as well embrace it. That’s an oversimplification because some things do take some rational thought to decide on but it’s vastly reduced decision making times for me.

As for the trailer- not really sure what’s going on there. Portia is hot.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

lol. I purposefully waited till a Saturday night to make the post. To see an ahem variety of responses.

it was a truthful post though, serious question…

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There has to be a religion that focuses on humans and God, and not all the mythological bullshit that is in the bible, or Quran, or torah etc.

DD

JayZ750 likes this.
  16. AXG

AXG Member

The easiest thing to do is pray. I don't consider myself "religious," but I pray every day and it's helped me.

ROXRAN and JayZ750 like this.
  17. VanityHalfBlack

Haven't gone back since. ;)

IBTL likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Finding Fairytales in your 40s...good for you. Religion today is about MONEY and how to keep it flowing to the pockets of the Church, Mosque, etc...
    I want to believe in God, but Humans lie, kill, HATE, in the name of to manipulate people into worrying about their Soul in the afterlife. When a certain Orange figure is supposedly a symbol of Religious righteousness to millions of "god-fearing" people, I know religion is Bullshit. Ignore sins of people because they can get you what you want politically is not a racket I want to be a part of.

Nook, DaDakota, cheke64 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

The church of satan seems cool.

IBTL likes this.