1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Think of it this way: if you were to plot a player's progression over the years on a line graph and from rookie to prime they improve year by year with a slope of x, they stay relatively at the same level throughout their prime, and finally begin to decline post prime with a slope of -x, then in 20 years Simmons should be just as good as he is now. That's pretty good for a 43 year old.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i do think ben could possibly help us win more games... but maybe not - we still need CW for defense, rebounding, PnR, long range scoring... CW is just a more versatile player.

knowing we want this year to be a 'learning' year - the only way i would consider this is if i thought ben could actually learn to shoot. and we make him a SF/PF - none of this PG ****.

3. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I think trading for Simmons would be great for both sides. Simmons gets a chance to lay low with no national TV games and work on his game. All of our young players get to benefit from watching how Simmons makes plays with his IQ. Slotting him next to Green/KPJ (who are not going to be even average defenders for 2-3 years until their bodies adjust) will really create a nice balance and probably makes us a play in threat. I think it would be more along the lines of Wall and three firsts.

Simmons
    Green
    KPJ
    Wood
    Theis

Bench Rotation: Gordon, Tate, Martin, Sengún, Nwaba, House

I don't hate it

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly I don't think we can get him and yet there are actually people on this
    Forum saying they wouldn't do it. Morey would laugh in our face with this type of offer
    for Simmons,

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

This forum wants a another Russell Westbrook in Ben Simmons.

Christian Wood is 25 years old also and he knows how to shoot, create his own shot, shoot Free Throws, plays Fearless Something Ben Simmons hasn't shown

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is an insult to Westbrook. Westbrook has never played like someone took his manhood away.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We don't know what kind of shooters most of the young guys are. KPJ/Green/Sengun/KMJ/Christopher all have the potential to be good shooters.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

Adding Ben to our current core would be insane. Fun meter would constantly read off the charts.

Plowman likes this.
  9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

That’s why taking a gamble on Simmons is so dumb. We are already taking a bunch of gambles and there is no point in banking on someone who can’t shoot and even worse is afraid to shoot.

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Simmons has a brain and Russ has a heart. That's pretty much the difference.

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Heart and balls

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm completely fine with gambling Wood on Simmons. I'm not high enough on Wood long term to care if he's what is lost. Especially when you factor in that you could possibly get a similar level player for Simmons down the road if things don't work out.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously, we can we just stop all this.

There is no reason Philly would trade Ben Simmons to Rockets. There are no pieces on this team that really help them beat the Bucks/Nets in the next 2-3 years which is their window. The Rockets capital (young stars and picks) worth Simmons don't help the 76ers unless they are parlaying that to another team.

Anyone not recognizing that Ben Simmons is top 25-30 player in the NBA is blinded by his flaws. Any player in this category will still get a max contract in this NBA era especially before they reach the end of their prime. It is just the price of doing business.

Also, of course Ben Simmons is not the primary star or α of a championship team. He has never developed the offense for it and has not yet shown he is on the mental track to get there. However, he is definitely an elite level 3rd star and still has the potential at a young enough age to become a mid-level 2nd star on the right championship team -- meaning with a primary star who matches his deficiencies with scoring and leadership.

The problem with the Rockets being involved though is window. Simmons elite skills will probably start to fade in ~4ish years, which is the probably the start of window that the Rockets are targeting with a bunch of teenagers.

So, there is no need for Rockets to be in this conversation.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Simmons at least plays defense, much better BBIQ, and won’t jack up 30 shots to score 15 points. For all his flaws at least Simmons knows he’s a poor shooter and so doesn’t try and shoot. WB is a poor shooter who just doesn’t care if he bricks lose the game.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Too bad his BBIQ wasn't high enough to realize his team needed him to shoot. You know what opposing teams do when they know a player is too scared to shoot? They leave him alone. To put it simply, it is much better to try and fail than not try at all. Or even more simply put, you miss all the shots you don't take.

#255 chenjy9, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So another gamble?

17. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I wouldn’t trade John Wall for Simmons straight up.

18. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I
    I don’t get it either, especially when you have another year of Wood after this season. Why rush trading him now, when his value could possibly elevate by the end of this season

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yep. Now is the time to gamble. Roll those dice and hope for 7/11.

20. i3artow i3aller