1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

666 new Texas laws go into effect Sept1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 31, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

jesus christ lol

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The most telling exit poll response was that they didn't vote for someone who they think would be a pastor. They wanted someone who'd be more of a sheriff for them. Bit spiteful considering the collective cost of hiring a s corrupt, low class self centered shitbag.

If you get bombarded non-stop with fear and threats plus declining church numbers, it plays into it.

I think the persecution complex is valid in some regards. Tribes can collectively act like nasty children to the point where even the most gentle and neighbor loving group can be an object of ridicule or disdain.

It's very hard to promote peace and generosity without relying on the shrill enforcer faction leading the charge. Without them, the public neither listens nor cares.

Of course, when you see who owns the most land, property, and commercial equity, it's very hard to think the church is declining. Yet somehow the wealthier Christan members are written off in this power struggle...

B-Bob, jo mama and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Before 6 weeks is ideal, but too many women don’t know they are pregnant until 6 or 7 weeks.

I’d support first trimester abortions by request, and then everything after by application through some sort of national medical committee. I don’t think this is an area that should be a state law thing.

Andre0087 and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

I think the dog finally caught the car here. That usually doesn't end up well for the dog.

Andre0087, B-Bob and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Shooting themselves in the foot. They could have spammed their crocodile tears over Afghanistan for the midterms and now they are scaring the ever living **** out of women to motivate them to go out and vote.

Thanks. We needed this after Afghanistan to save Congress from flipping.

Yung-T and Lar like this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’m sure Jesus would have been down with our for profit healthcare system and military industrial complex.

Yung-T, IBTL, rockbox and 1 other person like this.
  8. conquistador#11

They're still better than the Houston Texans cheerleaders' outfits.

IBTL, Rashmon, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

These loaded Californian transplant need to spread out from Austin to overwhelming tip the demographics despite gerrymandering.

Rocket River, Andre0087 and tinman like this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just reading an article about New Mexico clinics already receiving TX patients seeking care.

Back in 2013 the City of Albuquerque took a true Democratic approach and put a late term abortion ban to vote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3648649

As you can see the citizens did not want the ban. I’d be curious what a statewide vote would look like in TX.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Uh, they aint going to be sticking around long if this bill stands up. Won't be an exurb or rural or city question.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those aren’t Californians
    They are just people waiting for ACL fest to start

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The texans cheerleaders dont like abortions. In retrospect, I am so thankful.

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Love thy God with all your heart...help thy neighbor as you help thyself...kill those who...yea I get your point.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...exas-uber-lyft-legal-fees-drivers/5719717001/

The new law “threatens to punish drivers for getting people where they need to go –especially women exercising their right to choose,” Lyft’s CEO Logan Green tweeted Friday.

Green says Lyft has created a “Driver Legal Defense Fund” to cover all legal fees for drivers who are sued under the law while driving for his platform.

“Right on,” replied Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. Uber, he said, “is in too and will cover legal fees in the same way.”

Shar Dubey, CEO of Match Group, which runs Match.com, Tinder and Plenty of Fish, and Bumble, the dating app founded by Whitney Wolfe Herd, spoke out Thursday. The companies, both based in Texas, plan to create relief funds to support reproductive rights in response to the new law. Few other technology companies have spoken up.

"The company generally does not take political stands unless it is relevant to our business. But in this instance, I personally, as a woman in Texas, could not keep silent and have made this statement that you might see covered over the next few days," Dubey said in an internal memo.

Green, the Lyft CEO, also announced that his company was giving $1 million to Planned Parenthood "to ensure that transportation is never a barrier to healthcare access."

"This is an attack on women’s access to healthcare and on their right to choose," he wrote on Twitter. "We encourage other companies to join us."

#256 J.R., Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Yung-T likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

never met a human being who likes abortions. Not one.

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

tinman likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'm here because my mother didn't want one...I am as pro life as one can be but still respect the moral decision a woman makes between herself, doc, and God.

rockbox, Rashmon, Amiga and 1 other person like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm expecting to see boycotts by businesses of Texas along with musicians pulling tours from Texas. While Musk might not want "to get involved with politics" it wouldn't surprise me to see Tesla and Space X employees and investors put pressure on those businesses.

I just happened to see this on another site:
    http://www.solzyatthemovies.com/2021/09/02/sxsw-2021-why-i-dont-plan-to-return-to-texas/

SXSW 2022: Why I Don’t Plan To Return To Texas

SXSW 2022 might still be six months away in time but the actions of the Texas state government have made my decision not to attend.

Listen, I love SXSW and the city of Austin. Of all the major film festivals I’ve attended, it’s my favorite film festival. I’ve had no shortage of interview opportunities, parties, and networking during my two years on the ground. It’s the only film festival that I submitted Pandemic Therapy even knowing it was a long shot of making it in. But no, I cannot in good conscience attend and support the Texan state economy knowing that reproductive rights, transgender rights, and voting rights are under attack.

The Texas state government just passed one of the most draconian anti-abortion bills in the country. Moreover, it’s in clear violation of the first amendment. I say this as a Jewish citizen of the United States. This bill is incompatible with my own religious views. Jewish law makes it crystal clear that abortions are obligatory when the mother’s life is in danger. It is a classic example of Christian politicians violating the first amendment by forcing their religious views on others. And to see five conservative members of the Supreme Court go along with it shows that they are forcing their religious views on others.

The following comes straight from the Chabad site and relates to Jewish views on abortion:

"Under which circumstances would abortion be permitted? For one, if a pregnant woman’s life is endangered unless the pregnancy is terminated, “her life takes precedence over [the fetus’s] life.” The sages of the Mishnah add, “If, however, the majority of [the fetus] emerged, we may not touch it, for we do not push aside a life in place of another life.”

Why may the unborn baby be sacrificed to save the mother? Maimonides explains that the fetus has the law of a rodef, one who is pursuing another with intent to kill, whose life may be taken in order to save the would-be victim. It is thus permitted to abort the fetus, surgically or through medication, since the fetus is seen as an active threat to the mother’s life."

A few weeks ago, I would have said that the pandemic is why I was leaning against attending SXSW. Greg Abbott joins Florida Republican governor Ron DeSantis with pretending like the pandemic is over. I’m sorry but governing in this matter is awful and both should be charged with murder. They apparently come from the Rick Snyder school of governing. They call themselves pro-life but they are really pro-forced birth. Being pro-life means taking a proactive stance during a global pandemic. But no, they have repeatedly shown themselves to be against the most responsible behavior. It’s a shame and they are a disgrace.

Benjamin Franklin one said that we have a Republic if we can keep it. Moreover, there’s this idea that the US was founded on Judeo-Christian values. I’m sorry but forcing one’s religious beliefs on others are not a Jewish value. Forcing Christian beliefs down our throats goes against my religious beliefs as a Jew. I love SXSW and Austin but unless something miraculous happens, I will not be in attendance come March 2022.

Yung-T, snowconeman22 and B-Bob like this.