1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I like it

3. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Lmfao man.

4. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

It is blatantly obvious that Deshaun is starting for the Texans week 1. John McClain has said time and time again that there is no way that this will happen, which means it definitely will happen.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It really is. It's funny because Texans brass act and talk like they're smarter than everyone else in the league when the perception is literally the opposite. But at the end, we are going to suck bad this season so it really doesn't make a difference.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. conquistador#11

This way other teams can't gameplan against the texans!

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

It's a total Patriots South move.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Need safeties? Sign Linebackers!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sink or swim time for Mills if I was making the choice.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely an issue of national security. Why would they remove the intrigue before they have to :cool:

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Texans don't have a legitimate head coach - the guy is a placeholder head coach. I suppose he's a nice guy and all that but he was not the best candidate for the job. My apologies but having grown up with the Oilers' coaching debacles has left me totally cynical about this move. He's a well paid fall guy to be disposed of whenever Easterby decides that it's time for his "chosen one" to become the HC. I've seen Jeral Jones do this same move over the years with the most recent example being the Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett episode. Yeah, that one worked out really well...

Rashmon likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not saying Culley is qualified or the best option, but who was?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. HillBoy

The guys running Enron had the exact attitude and we all know how that ended up.

15. Damion Laverne

Spot on. I would've rather liked a younger, first-time guy (Joe Brady).

And if the rumors were true about Josh McCown, let him take the job now and not in three years.

Coach Culley is a puppet.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. HillBoy

That's just it - they (Easterby and McNair) weren't really looking for a qualified head coach because said coach would want some level of control over his job in order to execute his vision in order to produce a winning team. And that's something they did not want - having to share power with a strong head coach. They did not want that because winning is not what this organization is about - making money is their goal. You see, in the NFL thanks to the TV contracts, stadium deals, merchandising and legions of sheeplike fans who follow it like sports-crazed junkies, financial success does not depend on on-field success. Even the worse NFL teams end up printing money. Hence, why bother to hire a legitimate head coach when a pom-pom waving, super cheerful, always has a "smile on his face" placeholder will suffice.

Rashmon likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, I can’t disagree with you on any of that really.
    I personally like DC and am willing to give him a chance. But it’s a short leash for me and I would have preferred an innovative young coach personally.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. HillBoy

Personally I like him just not as a head coach. IF the Texans were truly serious about winning, they would have looked at a strong, experienced HC or as you point out - an innovative young coach on the rise. They did neither. They didn't even look at the guy recommended for GM by their search firm, Louis Reddick. Once I saw that go down, I knew that this so-called " coaching search" was a total farce. But I believe that true dynamic at work here is between Cal and Jack. Simply put: Cal has chosen Jack over his football team he doesn't give a **** about winning or those people who identify as Texans' football fans.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How many of those "innovative" head coaches have flamed out in recent years? Matt Nagy ( yes he still has a job, but barely), Adam Gase, Matt Patricia, etc... Coaching is not about just bring something "new" to the table. It is about being about to manage personalities. Culley leaves the innovation to his Coordinators and is there to be the rock and the wise veteran coach that keeps the team together. Texans probably need that more than anything.

ROXRAN, whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why don't you think Culley is legitimate? If you think Culley is a puppet, you would be wrong. A 30 year NFL coach is not going to be someone's puppet just because they gave him a chance to HC. He will take his shot and prove the nay-sayers wrong.

Rudyc281 likes this.