1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Simmons need to be surrounded by good shooters. We ranked 27th last season shooting. Getting Simmons means getting rid of a lot of those players and starting over.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

He apparently needs to be surrounded with much more than that. Well I for one know the problem is him first and foremost ftr

This is what Simmons was surrounded with in the starting lineup:
    Shooters: 39%, 40%, 45%, 37%. Realistically, you're basically not getting much better than that. That's collectively the best shooting 4 from deep in a starting lineup in the league

#162 YOLO, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Simmons wants out because the 6ers have been trying to trade him. This isn't an AD wanting out of NO situation.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What players are you referring to? Tate is the only guy that I can think of that played a lot of minutes and shot poorly that is considered part of the core rebuild.

5. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You are the one that joined a discussion I was having about his fit on the Rockets so why would I read your previous post? He may or not pan out as the lead on another team with more shooters, but one thing is for damn sure… that is not our team.

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Did you not watch our team play at all last season? We shot 27th for 3pt for a reason. As a team, we averaged 33.9% shooting from the perimeter. The only players who shot 3s in volume who had a 3p% above 36% were the following:
    • Christian Wood (given up in this hypothetical trade for Simmons)
    • Armoni Brooks
    • Kelly Olynk (gone)
    • DJ Augustin
    • Sterling Brown (gone)
    Now if we DO get Simmons, who would be our core?
    • Wall - 31.7%
    • KPJ - 31.1%
    • Tate - 30.8%
    • KMJ - 36.5% but shot 2 3s per game
    • House - 34.6%
    • Nwaba - 27%
    • Gordon - 32.9%
    • DJ - 38.6%
    • Green - Unknown
    Now, outside of DJ who will really be playing with the 2nd unit and maybe KMJ and Green (Brooks if he stays on the team), where are these shooters that you are talking about.

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We have a very different idea of what the core of this rebuild is based on who you just listed. I think the future of the Rockets is Green/KPJ/Tate/KMJ/Sengun/Garuba/Christopher. Tate and Garuba are the only guys in that group that I am really worried about becoming a good shooter. KPJ has been inconsistent but I still think he can become a reliable shooter.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Simmons likely can't be the best/only star perimeter player on a contending team. I think the 6ers knew that and it was why they went so hard after Fultz instead of drafting Jackson or Tatum. Someone else on the team is going to have to be electric on the perimeter.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Huh? Simmons didn't even play an NBA game yet when Fultz was drafted in 2017. Philly was in the state of still figuring out what players they had at that point. There was nothing known

MrButtocks likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

3 way trade, maybe. CWood is a spindly 5 and Embiid a brick sh!thouse 5, but both are 5's.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What does that matter? He was on their team and they had seen him play basketball before. I guess maybe they didn't factor in Ben being on the roster when they made the pick but I'd be shocked if they didn't.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So on top of gambling the future on Simmons, you want to further gamble on KPJ becoming a consistent shooter, and then KMJ, Green, Christopher, and Sengun all becoming consistent shooters? For reference, these are the guys that you are referring to and their stats.
    • Green - 36.5% (G-League)
    • KMJ on low volume - 36.5%
    • Sengun - 19% (Turkish League)
    • Christopher - 30.5% (NCAA)
    So you expect these guys to provide Simmons with the consistent spacing he needs? Really?!?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yeah I do. If most of those guys aren't good shooters the rebuild is screwed anyways. The Rockets are going nowhere if the 21 draft class is made up of poor shooters.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Our primary star hopefuls do NOT need to be good/great 3pt shooters. What they DO need however is for us to surround them with consistently good shooters, hence why I said we would essentially have to restart our rebuild if we get Simmons. With our current roster, we only have to worry about getting 1-2 good shooters. The reason this is different for Simmons is because Simmons is TRAGICALLY BAD at shooting.

luckyman76 likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not just what you want to get but what the other teams want to get. It is always harder to trade a big contract than a smaller contract. In order to trade a big contract, you have to get compatible amount from the other team. The large amount of salaries means that they have to give you either a great player or a bunch of lesser players. The other team would have to believe that what they give you does not worth more than what they receive (Simmons). It wouldn't be a problem if the player you wanted to trade was a great player (e.g. Harden). But Simmons has been exposed to be not a great player. So what you get in return is going to be either (1) another not so great player who is being paid like one (e.g. Wall) or (2) a bunch of mediocre players with medium size contracts, or (3) you attached valuable assets to thank the other team for taking the unwanted contract off your hands (remember Ryan Anderson?).

None of these options are very desirable.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'd love to see your list of current superstars that aren't good shooters. Giannis is the only superstar I can think of that can't shoot and he's an athletic freak that has been routinely marginalized in the playoffs. Green is going to have to be a good 3 point shooter to be a superstar. Sengun is going to have to be a good shooter to be an all star.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What do you imagine the Rockets getting for Wood if they try to trade him this year?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Youre seriously asking that question. Wow. So not playing at all doesn’t mean anything. You have all the answers when your name is just on the roster. There’s no reason to actually play any meaningful games apparently. Stop it

#178 YOLO, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What are you talking about? Nobody said all the answers. You think it's crazy to think the 6ers looked at Simmons after drafting him and decided that he likely couldn't be the best/only perimeter star on a championship team? Or that they could have drafted him thinking that? Especially when he was a PG and they decided to trade up to get another pg that was better at playmaking and scoring? If you go back and look at the reasoning for getting Fultz it was about getting an elite shot creator that the 6ers were lacking.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

You literally said the 76ers drafted fultz bc they basically knew what Simmons was already. They knew nothing as far as their future. They already had a number of high draft picks and continued to shuffle them. They were still figuring it out. Yes it’s crazy.it’s actually commons sense. He hadn’t even played a single second in the nba and was hurt. Your post makes 0 sense