1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If Dwight would have just accepted being a pick and roll center, he would of been collecting bigger checks.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Swiss Bank gettin loaded.

Too bad it didn't work out here. Outside matching up Draymond, everyone had high hopes.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happy for Clint, but interesting for the Hawks. He had two more years -- not sure the rush? It seems like they got pretty much fair market value, but I don't see Capela being a guy in line to make 30 million a year -- so why pay this now? I suppose they could always trade him if Okongwu breaks out.

Still, good for Capela. He was financially set before -- all the better now.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I think that one reason for doing this now is that the Hawks can limit the overall number of years that they commit to Capela. This extension should take him through his age 30 season, where he's still very likely to be productive, whereas if they just let him go to free agency and re-signed him in two years, they'd probably be looking at a 4+ year deal buying out his age 31 and 32 seasons.

This is definitely some cherry picking, but it does seem like there's a bit of a cliff for big men right around ages 31-32. Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, all went from being major starters and contributors seemingly to buyout candidate/rotational guys very suddenly. Injuries play a big role in this, but I think that has to be baked into the risk for a big money extension for a center. If I'm the Hawks, I'm actually happier having the option to walk away from Capela a year or two early, rather than risk having his play drop off suddenly as he ages and having him clog up the cap or needing to be bought out.

Joshfast and B-Bob like this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Get your bag Clint, well deserved.

[​IMG]

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It went from Beverley being my favorite player, to Capela, to KPJ. Before Pat B If I remember right it was Luis Scola.

Someone make a thread about your favorite player succession from the time you started watching the Rockets.

All the best Mr clint !

bluffkin likes this.
  7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

It started at Steve Francis, then Tmac, to Dragic, Harden of course and now Jalen Green!

I was too young to watch the dream.

peleincubus likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm happy for him. He knows when to stay in his proverbial lane and excels at it.

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Good for him. Love his fit with that team and his chem with Trae. Not as good as the CC x Harden combo but still plenty entertaining.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good, we should go after Big O

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3028923/202...eer-and-playing-with-the-hawks-the-ikosystem/

Prior to last week’s matchup between the Rockets and Hawks (a quality, 132-126 road win for Houston), Capela sat down with The Athletic to discuss his time in Clutch City, the changing game, his thoughts on the current Rockets rebuild and, of course, his new situation in Atlanta. Parts have been edited for clarity.

Clint, thanks again for doing this. You were in Houston for six seasons. Can you think of any fond moments during that time?

Honestly, it was just being a part of a winning team every year. Having high expectations every season and just (making) the best memories just to get all those games. The fans, the city, I really felt the love for all those years. It was really special.

How did you see yourself develop as a big man, coming from overseas and to the NBA? Having to learn under the system and kind of grow into the NBA?

At first, it was a little bit hard. Those first couple of months in the gym helped me a lot. Obviously, the end of my rookie (year) when I started playing in the playoffs … I really started acclimating myself into the game of the NBA. So, I ended up being OK, even though I was getting worried at first.

I know it’s been some years, but do you remember the relationship you had with Coach Mike D’Antoni and how that was as a young player adjusting?

Coach D’Antoni was definitely one of my favorite coaches. He was just easygoing, the way we wanted to play was always pretty simple. I felt that I was always put in the best situation in the game. I loved our pace offensively and everything that we’re doing offensively — breaking records, stuff like that. Surrounding us with shooters and the way we were playing was just … I loved it.

How much do you still think about that run with Houston, if at all? The 2017-18 season, the 65 wins, the Western Conference finals. Do you ever find yourself thinking about that, or is that part of your life that’s now just in the past?

Obviously, it’s always a great seven years. It was a great year, by the way; 65 wins for sure. Always trying to pick up some things that were happening that year to learn from it. Talking about it or even sharing my experience to hopefully one day have the chance to get (to the Finals). But it was definitely something I’ll never forget.

Do you still have ties to Houston? Keep in touch with anyone still with the organization?

Sometimes … sometimes, yeah.

Now, having been with the Hawks for a few seasons now, how do you like the experience of going from that team to a young team, but now also being in the spotlight again.

I love it, man. I love it. At first, I wasn’t really sure how it was gonna go, and (I) ended up doing really well. Definitely higher than my expectations. I just feel really blessed to be with this group and just enjoy it as much as I can. But definitely being back here after making the Eastern Conference finals was really special to me, and I love this core and this team.

Going back to the Rockets for a bit, I know you’ve seen the rookie Alperen Sengun play. He came from Europe just like you did, and the two of you have different play styles, but what has impressed you so far about his game?

I’m not gonna lie, I haven’t watched a lot of Houston’s games, but he’s a smart player and a talented kid.

What would be some advice that could be given to a young player trying to adjust to a new country in the NBA? What would that be having gone through it?

My only advice would be to just put the work in until you establish yourself as one of the main NBA players.

Have you seen the game change in terms of the high pick-and-rolls and the pace of the game? Now, everything is spread out. You came into the league at a time where it wasn’t at that peak yet, but what’s it been like watching it?

More and more 3s, more pace. I like it, because I like playing with pick-and-rolls and with fast pace. It’s definitely a lot different. It’s tougher to guard because it goes quicker, but to me it doesn’t change anything. My game still stays the same.

You also play with John Collins — another big like yourself — but what has been the key to being able to play together and share the floor? Obviously, the spacing is different, but how do you guys make that work?

Don’t forget he’s shooting like 40 percent from the 3-point line, also. He has that ability to space the floor when I’m playing with him. I love his energy. Every night, he comes to bring it, and I love it. We can play together, and he can also catch lobs, something that I love.

Having been in a locker room with guys like P.J. Tucker, James Harden and Russell Westbrook, what’s that game-day swag looking like now?

I’m more involved in talking. Expressing myself when I see something. I told them I’m going to listen whenever they talk. I’m definitely not hesitant to share my thoughts in the locker room or during timeouts. I know because of my experience with the Rockets and on this team with the Hawks, I’m really respected, and whenever I speak, they can listen.

The Rockets are a young team, but how do you see their outlook right now? Going from a winning team to a rebuild and moving forward?

I can see that Houston has a lot of talented young guys. They have a ton of promise. Hopefully, the team is going to figure it out for the future because they have a lot of tools that they can build on.

Rocket River, King1, opticon and 2 others like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You were in Houston for six seasons. Can you think of any fond moments during that time?
    ______

Someone left a free Dynex TV by my locker.

ElPigto likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3129687/202...awks-season-long-struggles-im-not-so-shocked/

Capela was honest with what he sees as the biggest issues facing this team, what needs to change moving forward and why this season hasn’t gone as planned.

Let’s get to our conversation.

It seems like the overarching theme for you guys this season has been inconsistency. You win seven straight, and then you lose five of seven. Why do you feel like the consistency has been an issue for you all?

I just think we’re struggling to find a consistent — I don’t know, man. You know, I think that’s a good question.

Is it not something that you think is possible to put your finger on?

No, you’re obviously right. Every time I feel like we get on a streak, it gets harder. I just feel like it’s hard for us …

Let me ask you this then. You’re obviously a big part of this team, and there are nights where you beat Phoenix and it’s easy to think, OK, this (Hawks) team is special, and then a couple of games later, you’re giving up 136 points to a rebuilding Spurs team. How do you explain the discrepancy?

I feel like our approach night-to-night isn’t the same. Maybe we don’t prepare ourselves well enough for every game. It obviously affects how we’re playing our opponent every night. It hasn’t been good for us. It’s clearly an issue.

Do you feel like sometimes this team just plays up or down to the competition? The Phoenix game is on TNT against the best team in the league and then the Spurs game it’s against a rebuilding team and not on national TV.

That’s a part of it. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen to any other team, but the preparation always has to be the same. It doesn’t matter if you might not be as excited for the opponent. We don’t control which game is on prime-time TV. The preparation has to be the same, and it hasn’t been the same for us as a team. It’s probably why the consistency hasn’t come along.

How does that get better? It’s already late in the season.

I feel like we have to realize that we have to prepare ourselves the exact same whether we’re playing the Detroit Pistons or the Miami Heat. It shouldn’t matter if it’s a game on national TV or not. The way we practice, the way we prepare for the game, the way we focus on the game should be the same because every single game counts the exact same. It is late in the season, but it’s not too late. We don’t have zero games remaining. As long as we have games left, we can get better. That should be the approach. We should never say it’s too late or it’s already late. As long as the season is continuing, you just have to continue to find ways to get better.

You all were two wins away from the NBA Finals. Have you gotten the sense that maybe coming into the season the younger guys maybe felt like success once again was just going to be a given?

For a young team that hasn’t had an experience like that before, it’s going to be a factor. Success is not always the same, and everybody should know that. The thing is you’re never ever guaranteed to get back to where you were the last season. You’re not guaranteed of anything. That should be our approach. You should be working just as hard as the worst team in the NBA because you’re not guaranteed anything on any day. No one is guaranteed to make the playoffs at the start of the season. I think for us, as a young team, we didn’t know that. Sometimes it takes something to make you realize that in order to get back to where you were, you have to get back to the approach you had that season because you’re not guaranteed anything.

It sometimes seems like this team just expects to win by rolling the basketball out on the floor.

I felt like this team in the beginning of the season, we thought we would be right back to where we were. I mentioned it to everyone early in the season because it happened to me in the past (with Houston). Whenever you think that way, it’s hard to get back there. I mentioned it, but I still feel like this team still thinks that we are already going to the playoffs, we’re going back, and I tell them, and I tell myself always that we’re never guaranteed anything today. Why should we be talking about the playoffs today when we’re not guaranteed anything? Our approach should be how can we best prepare ourselves for the next game? That’s how it should always be.

Are you surprised with where you guys are at record-wise?

I think from the way we approached this season, not so much. Obviously, we had a lot of guys hurt and had COVID, but even our approach the entire season, we were already thinking we were going to the playoffs. Our approach wasn’t about the next game, it was, ‘Oh, we won this. We won that.’ That’s the problem with teams that are not used to this. I’m not so shocked.

When you were with Houston, was that ever an issue for you all where that was the collective mindset of the team?

No, because we had a lot of guys who were already experienced. I was always one of the youngest. Most of the guys were five years older than me. I was like 22 years old. The guys knew that what we did last season never meant anything. We had that mentality where, if we lost a game, it felt like it was the end of the world. It was a different atmosphere.

I asked you earlier in the season about the defense struggling, and you told me to ask you about it later in the season because you believed it was going to turn around. The defense is still struggling.

Where are we right now?

Where do you think?

We’re in the last 10.

Yeah. You’re 27th.

Geez.

Why do you feel like it hasn’t improved?

Because I feel like it comes from the mindset of everybody. If you’re always thinking about offense, you’re always going to feel like offense is an issue. If you’re more defensive-minded, you’re going to take more pride on defense. I feel like the team we are, we’re more offensive-minded. There aren’t a lot of guys who take pride on defense, so it’s hard. I’m mostly a defensive-minded guy, but it’s a team thing. Your team has to be defensive-minded. It can’t be just him or him or him. Everyone. So, it is what it is.

When you guys went on your second-half run after Nate (McMillan) took over for Lloyd (Pierce), you were actually good defensively. It’s pretty much the same roster.

Well, was it the same lineups and rotations? I feel like we had a lot of guys hurt last year, right?

Yeah, De’Andre (Hunter) was hurt. Cam (Reddish) was hurt, and the lineups were always changing because of various injuries.

I feel like we had a lot of guys who were defensive-minded when I think about it. We had guys like Brandon Goodwin, Tony Snell, Solomon Hill, these guys when they come into games aren’t thinking about scoring or shooting. They’re thinking about how they can help the team in the small ways, and they know that it always starts with defense. That’s the mentality they have.

Moving forward now, do you feel like this team just simply needs more defensive-minded players who are just going into games with the mindset of ‘I’m going to lock you up and I don’t care if I score 0 points?’

Yes. Good teams have guys like that. Guys like Jae Crowder. You need those guys. When you’re offensive-minded, it’s not going to help us. You might have nice nights stats-wise but, as a team, when the end of the season gets here, you need to get it together defensively. What happens to young teams is you’re just not at the stage where you just want to help the team win. It’s definitely what our team needs, for sure.

So my final question for you. Everyone on the roster still believes this team can do well in the playoffs.

Like I said, we’re not guaranteed anything. We can still do well if we make it. It’s late in the season, but it’s not over. We can still get better. We can still do something. Fans, media, us — no one should quit on this team until it’s over because that’s just how sports work. You might have one second left in the game, and if it’s tied, you can still win with that little bit on the clock. We can still do this.

Well, let me ask you, fans are obviously frustrated with how this team has played. What would you tell them to make them believe that this team can do what you’re saying?

I would just say, we might be down 10 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Are you going to stop watching? It’s as simple as that. A lot of stuff can happen in that time. You might be frustrated. You might turn the game off. It’s not over though. It’s the fourth quarter. We’re down 10. Are you going to leave the game already, or are you going to stay and fight? Some might leave. Me, as a basketball player, I’m never leaving that game. I believe in us. There’s time.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Okongwu has taken a big step this season, wouldn't be surprised to see Clint moved in the off-season.

I could also see the Hawks going hard for Rudy if he becomes available. Young needs to be surrounded by elite defenders.

Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i have seen enough, stone needs to bring this guy back!

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Okongwu and Capela are redundant. If they want to develop the kid, they may mover Capela in the offseason.

dmoneybangbang likes this.