1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

There’s not a trade that works from a numbers standpoint that is make. So the answer is no.

Im especially not trading Wood for him who I think will get even better.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rich Paul would hold Simmons out from playing if he was traded here.

They would throw tantrums and force us to trade him to Lebron.

Don't want anything to do with Klutch and Rich Paul

red5rocket, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

yessir! giannis n his bucks

burlesk, Plowman and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

mmm hmmm

thx god he does not...

Deckard likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

hell yeuhh

simmons will insta wcf the team

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Buying low on Simmons is like buying low on Enron stocks in 2001.

Corrosion, Deckard, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It's really your last two posts that I have been hammering throughout the threads on this. People look at a broken Simmons who can't shoot and just say move him here. Nobody actually thinks about the basketball/team implications. Let's just move him to Center so he can be a rim protector. Has anyone actually thought how that would work? Simmons is effectively a Kevin Durant who can't shoot. Durant evolved his skillset from PG to wing but still plays PG quite a bit. Simmons is still a PG and he would be an ALL NBA PG if he could shoot. His inability to shoot impacts all aspects of his game as a PG including aggressiveness as a floor general. He can guard wing but he cannot play wing because he cannot shoot. Look at his career shot charts. He has shot 34 threes in his CAREER and didn't make his first until a year ago. He never shoots outside of the paint. Teams do not guard him and collapse inside. It is a fundamental skill and to act like its a THING any team can workaround on a max contract is INSANE.

We and Philly have known since college he shoots with the wrong hand and never developed his shot. You cannot wish something into being something it's not.

Jayzers_100, hakeem94 and Stephen_A like this.
  8. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Simmons would do well in a Draymond type role, he isn’t a scrub but Wood is a better fit next to our young guards

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Ben Simmons would be great next to Green. An elite defender, shot creator and rebounder that doesn't need his own shot - and his value is at an all time low. I do believe you can fix him in a new situation where there is not such a big spotlight on him. So yeah, I would take a gamble on him. And I don't think Wood will be here in a couple of years anyways.

10. Rochut

Rochut Member

I voted no and didn't need to think much about it. The best benefit this whole Simmons meltdown might have for the Rockets is if we can get into a 3-way deal where we ship out Wall, Philly ships out Simmons and we end up with neither Wall nor Simmons. Obviously pretty unrealistic, but this is something that might actually benefit the team.

burlesk and Deckard like this.
  11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Hard No.
    -Rockets are still in a middle of rebuild. Last thing this team needs is another broken star with a contract taking up a huge cap space. I wouldn't even trade Wall for him straight-up because it would ruin the timetable of the current rebuild.
    -Simmons will be in year 5 in the NBA and the talks of him eventually becoming a 7 foot Jason Kidd have all but evaporated last playoffs. He is who he is and this team is not built for his playstyle.

luckyman76 likes this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the folks clamoring to trade Wall for him, do you know how many picks would have to be attached? A crazy amount/assets we don't want to part with in a deal like this....That's a non starter for me.

I'm wanting to deal Wall as an expiring next year, but....

Wall & Wood for Simmons + ....it would have to fit us like a glove.

#72 Plowman, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

There you go. Giannis and Simmons are much of the same role.

Giannis is that number 1 option on the Bucks. Simmons has been 2nd or 3rd behind Embiid
    and maybe Tobias Harris.

Embiid high USG% along with probably the highest Post Up freq (36.5% according to NBA.com) was
    always a bad pairing and spacing issue for Simmons-Embiid (76ers.)

#73 ApacheWarrior, Sep 2, 2021
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The NBA has changed. 3/4 and even 5’s to a certain extent need to be able to shoot from outside. Any player on your team that can’t shoot will hinder your half-court offense. I wouldn’t even trade 2 years of Wall for 4 years of Simmons.

luckyman76 likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

This upcoming season: Wood makes $13.6m, Simmons: $33m.

33 mil for a defensive guy is not exactly buy low for the Rockets.

They both around age 25; one person is not a socialite and actually works on his shot.

For the Blazer trade rumor pros/cons; Ben being younger than CJ, if the goal is to make use of Dame's window, one would actually hope Simmons is older because then: maybe he'd actually be more emotionally mature.

#75 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 2, 2021
    burlesk and DeBeards like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

First off, the notion that any team--including Houston--could get Simmons to move from his point guard role into more of a play making 4/5 where he operates more in the paint is ridiculous. He will not relent in being the main ball handler and, quite honestly, shouldn't because that's one of the few things he's elite at.

I've used this analogy so many times but it hits perfectly--the dude is a swiss army knife without the knife. You need to surround him with four other players who can mask his glaring weakness on the offensive side but are also okay with having a guy making $30+ million never doing more to help the team outside of what skills/talent he has already. Like if you're a competitor and want to win you're going to get annoyed by Simmons eventually. Embiid has. I don't want that kind of player and toxicity around my young core if I were Stone.

burlesk, Nook, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Ben Simmons is also only 25 and is a better player. He didn't ask me if I would trade him for nothing. Will Christian Wood ever be as good as Ben Simmons? I'm thinking no. Simmons taking a lot of heat right now, cuz he had a bad playoffs but the dude is still a very very good player. Honestly he fits our needs better as a defensive minded pass first wing. We need to get better defensively.

Plowman likes this.
  18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

1) Ben Simmons is the better player. He has just been terribly misused in Philadelphia with the team expecting him to be a second or third scoring option. His best role is the Lamar Odom/Draymond Green role rather than trying to play him like a point guard. He should exclusively be playing small forward/power forward and then his value would immediately shoot up as an elite defender who averages 14/7/7 a game.

2) I'd still rather stick with Christian Wood until we know for sure that Appie will become a legitimate NBA player. Plus I really don't wanna trade Christian Wood as I am attached to dude and we're not in win-now mode anyways. No reason to try to accelerate the rebuild until we know for sure what we have with Jalen Green, KPJ, KJ Martin, Josh, Garuba, and Appie. Plus Christian Wood is REALLY good and I am going to bet (assuming his point guards take care of him...) that he will be even better this season. I'm just worried that we're going to do him like Portland did LaMarcus Aldridge and underappreciate him just because we have an excited guard who isn't better yet. (KPJ/Green)

3) Trading for a big time player who isn't MVP caliber but being paid like an MVP is incredibly short-sighted when we're still in the beginning parts of the rebuild. We are in no position to commit to Ben Simmons in exchange for Christian Wood. Plus why would Philly want CWood unless CWood is going to a 3rd or 4th team? CWood fits out timeline much better as we have him on an insanely good contract for two more seasons. Let's explore trading (or extending) CWood in two Februarys instead.

edit: bolded the important and key reason to being against this

19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

That's why many thinks simmons being overhyped or overevaluated, even if we simply comparing their salaries:
    Simmons: 33mil
    Giannis: 39mil
    It easily occurs to us, as the same role, giannis way more unguardable, also far better 'Return On Investment' than simmons.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

Lol! At first I thought you meant Christian Wood but I would trade him for CW 39