1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

lol did you even read your own link?

The UK officially ended its combat role in 2014, but troops have since remained in the country in non-combat capacities

Do you even know what that means? Like the US has hundreds of troops in Greece right now in non-combat roles. Do you think their job is to secure the Parthenon in case the Spartans start marching across Peloponnesia?

Nobody forced the UK governemtn into ending its Afghanistan mission in 2014 (except for maybe UK nationals...). Nobody censured them in the US congress. Nobody gave a ****, just like nobody gives a **** now, and why nobody should give a **** why a dipshit like you, @TheresTheDagger who posted this in February

...is now a born-again interventionist playing RTS games with @basso arguing about dog provenance.

YOu clowns should expect nothing but scorn - THAT'S WHY YOU'RE WEARING THE MAKE-UP YOU LIVE FOR THIS

@Os Trigonum

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't understand what that means.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Bigfoot is also real per snopes based on grainy pictures

4. ROXRAN

Video feed> no movement, looks very dead. Still picture > his arm is up and yet there is no clear indication of a harness. I fail to see the conclusion based on very limited data

5. AB

AB Contributing Member

AleksandarN and durvasa like this.
  6. durvasa

Video clearly shows him moving his arms, apparently waving. You still this is a dead man being hung from the neck?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. durvasa

Strange retort, when you concluded he’s a dead man based on an unclear video taken from a far distance.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Men can wave their arms for hours after they've died. I'm tired of this conversation. Let's talk about something else. I'm going home.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clearly alive.

DD

10. durvasa

Haha, thanks for that.

11. ROXRAN

Looks like the latest video shows him more than less alive, snopes should have that video in the link rather than a still pic that was grainy . But I’m glad that video wasn’t as heinous as it first appeared, not sure that joy ride is worth it. Good we are out. I just wish we could have somehow prevented our service member deaths , they only had mere days , it’s heartbreaking

12. durvasa

Snopes linked to the video. That’s how I found it. The zoomed in picture showing the man with his arms raised was clear enough evidence to me that he was alive, but you could have also clicked the link they provided that pointed to the video.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. adoo

adoo Member

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/repu...-withdrawals-trump_n_612e7807e4b05f53eda074ba

GOP Rips Biden For Working With Taliban After Supporting Trump Doing It
    House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and other GOP lawmakers on Tuesday scolded the Biden administration for agreeing to a timeline with the Taliban for withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan.

But none of them mentioned that this was former President Donald Trump’s plan ― and that they supported it when it was his idea or simply said nothing.

During a press conference on Capitol Hill, McCarthy criticized President Joe Biden for agreeing to an Aug. 31 deadline with the violent Afghan military group for evacuating Americans and allies out of the country.

“Let me be crystal clear: This isn’t the U.S. government timeline,” said McCarthy, standing with several GOP lawmakers who served in the military. “It’s the Taliban’s timeline.”

“We had an unconditional surrender to the Taliban,” said Rep. Mike McCaul (Texas), the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

“I never thought I would see this in my life,” he added. “It’s embarrassing, shameful, wrong to our veterans who served so well.”

Go back to March 2020, though, and they had a much different take on the situation. Trump had just announced his so-called peace deal with Taliban leaders, which included a 14-month timetable for withdrawing U.S. military forces from Afghanistan and releasing 5,000 prisoners back to the Taliban.

Republicans were divided on the agreement. But McCarthy tried to keep any critics from speaking up about it. During a March 3, 2020, press conference, the GOP leader told reporters he was urging members of his caucus to read the details of Trump’s deal before opposing it.

“A number of those members can now go down and read it in the SCIF,” said McCarthy, referring to a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, or a secure location for reading sensitive materials. “That was one recommendation we had to all the members. I first would want to know all the details before someone makes an opinion about it.”

McCaul, too, was on board with working with the Taliban.

“There’s a healthy amount of skepticism, but I think we have to give it a chance to work,” McCaul said in March 2020.

Others who criticized Biden’s troop withdrawals on Tuesday weren’t publicly saying anything about it in the spring of 2020, when Trump was hailing his deal with the Taliban to do the same thing.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It looks like we have shifted into a new gear after the military exit. Funny desperate characters that can’t help themselves but play the OT game hoping to influence the public score.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good Lord Republican VOTERS stand for nothing as well as their leaders.

This morning the Politico polling shows SEVENTY percent of Republicans now oppose withdrawing from Afghanistan.

These people who vote for clowns like Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Gregg Abbott stand for nothing and will just flip flop on any issue that they are told to flip flop on, and the whole 5 year stance when Trump wanted to get out of Afghanistan and negotiated with the Taliban for surrender was just Bull. They deep down love war and blowing up brown people. All the talk about being anti war served nothing but trying to beat Hillary in 2016 because she voted for the Iraq war. Nothing more.

DaDakota and ROCKSS like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

At the same time it’s important to realize how much this flip flop will hurt Republicans in the mid terms and in 24. There are still 30% of Republicans and some so-called independents that approve of the withdrawal. I completely agree that a message (if Dems can execute the message) that voting for Republicans means voting for forever wars really really hurts Republicans in elections.

Hearing people like Lindsay Graham beat their chest about needing to carpet bomb the Middle East etc etc will turn off ALOT of these swing voters that still remember the war hawk Bush/Cheney party that lied us into two wars.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Great questions, I agree that they need to be answered. I have been looking into these as well, from a logistical stand point closing down Bagram seemed the better choice to get people to be able to walk to the closer airport, I`ve also read that Bagram was nightmare from an offensive attack, not sure how true that is but I have read that multiple times. As far as the SIV applicants go there is plenty of blame, the process was in bureaucratic red tape for several years, no one wanted to push it to the forefront, not giving Biden a pass but he didn't have much time to navigate this.......Trump didn't help the process and it took years to secure an SIV, Biden had a few months. The problem I have with the critics was that if we waited for the SIV process to be corrected we would be there another year

https://thehill.com/opinion/nationa...ystem-that-offers-protection-to-afghan-allies

Here is what Milley said about Bagram

“If we were to keep both Bagram and the embassy going, that would be a significant number of military forces…that may have exceeded what we had, or stayed the same as what we had,” Milley continued. “So you had to collapse one or the other. And the decision was made, the proposal was made, from CENTCOM commander and the commander on the ground, Scottie Miller, to go ahead and collapse Bagram. That was all briefed and approved and we estimated that the risk of going out of KIA, or the risk of going out of Bagram, were about the same, so going out of KIA was the better tactical solution…in accordance with getting the troops down to a 600, 700 number.”

19. ROXRAN

Good morning. Could you provide links on this?
    I found this info that you might be referring to
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/16/poll-afghanistan-withdrawal-taliban-505165

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member