1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did You Care About Afghanistan Women?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 31, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't and you shouldn't be fake about it. We were there for 9-11 and we don't have to apologize. I'm sympathetic to their struggles but Middle Easterners have to solve their own problems. We don't have to apologise for them allowing Al Quede to fester

IBTL and tinman like this.
  2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I care about people even Democrats or political leftists, even if they hate my guts. I wish everyone got along but then I remember the saying poop in one hand and wish in the other and see which fills up faster ..

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes. Better treatment of women goes hand in hand with that society also becoming more modern and less religious/militant. It's good for them, and ultimately also for us.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Should have included it's not about caring as much as not be aware of their struggles had it not been for 9-11.

At the end of the day we weren't on a humanitarian mission and it's over

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So we should fix the problems of oppressed women everywhere?

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I care about the ArabX

Space Ghost likes this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

There’s obviously a lot of Muslims over there that don’t want to live under Sharia law but prefer a moderate Western-infused Muslim society with the freedoms it provides. I’m sorry for those people that included additional freedoms afforded to women. We gave them a taste and it basically got yanked away when we pulled out. They were essentially tricked into buying into a new Afghanistan and got a cold dose of reality as to how US foreign policy works, i.e. here today...gone tomorrow. I think they thought this arrangement was permanent. I guess it could have been if their army stood up. But, we went there to stop and kill terrorists for revenge of 9/11. We somehow detoured into a futile attempt at nation building in a corrupt society with many tribes.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Having a taste of American values may still go a long way over there

10. tinman

Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka
    Told you about human beings have ALWAYS had
    1. Tribalism
    2. Violent behavior

This is from day 1 , cave man

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The US never fully controlled Afghanistan outside Kabul and some critical resource points/pipelines.

We were mostly bribing warlords to play hide n seek in their backyards.

As for "development", we were getting pennies on the dollar for things lost to corruption, theft, and sabotage.

It's our nature to notch losses to whomever claims responsibility, as if we were at the 10 yd line and Coach B choked at the last 5 minutes.

I don't think in the 15+ years after they elected their first president did I ever think at one point, "boy we got our money's worth empowering Afghani women and modernizing Afghanistan!"

Probably because Cheney saddled the American People with a different cluster**** 1,500 miles away.

A lot of people claim to be "students of history"... history was unraveling as we spoke. It's not looking very kindly to any of us.

12. durvasa

We can't fix the problems of oppressed women everywhere. In places where it's especially bad, we should try to help. There are limits to what we can do.

The problem in Afghanistan is partially our making, and this goes back to even before 9/11. So there is additional moral responsibility there, IMO.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The problems of terrorist organizations allowed to fester there and the struggles of women there are partially our making?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly, the lesson from the latest events is we never made any progress there on terrorism, human rights, etc etc etc

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

One has to wonder what would have happened had we not assisted the mujahideen in defeating the Soviets because we were concerned about the spread of Communism.

tinman likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We can't even colonize Puerto Rico correctly, so we go full Sunk Cost Fallacy and drop a deuce trillion on that Texas-sized dirtpile.

I dun no where da *** dat place is, but It Kept Us Safe bombing it back keepin it at the Stone Age hyuk hyuk hyuk!!

adoo and TWS1986 like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers dropping history like Hakeem dropping points

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Auschwitz my opinon on this as soon it's scientifically proven that invading armies can't complete missions or military campaigns with multiple strategic and human rights objectives. I have no idea how long that proof should take. One graduate student trying to gettysburg all the relevant data at MD Andersonville library should take appomattoxly a whole semester. Maybe a research grant from a couple of U of H alums, Randy and Dennis Quede, would expedite the process.

#18 Dairy Ashford, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  19. durvasa

Didn't these organizations originate among Mujahideen fighters in the 80s who we supported?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because I care about life here, I care about women there. Enlightenment everywhere is good for our society here as well. The men have ****ed that nation up long enough. Let's have women running things there.

Nook and Astrodome like this.