1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We can’t ignore the elephant in The room, Green needs to start over KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Of course there are examples. Many of them were due to injuries, not lack of talent. They had talent, had major injuries, got high draft picks to couple with their already existing talent and resumed winning. Not many teams in the history of the league did what CLE did shortly after Lebron joined where they became contenders (with far less talent) not long after losing for many years. Because you only get a Lebron once or twice a generation and they don't even always go at #1-13.

Not disagreeing we should be giving the young guys minutes. There is a difference in giving them minutes and just starting ALL the young guys and basically giving up the season from the start to "develop" because again, you can actually hinder development if you lose continually. These are 19 year olds. You don't want them getting used to losing.

No reason we shouldn't TRY and win ASAP, see what we've got, and reassess. This is NOT the same team as last year. We are more talented and, more importantly, HEALTHIER.

2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Green cannot play the 3. Y’all really want to see him guarding Lebron, Kawhi, etc…

maybe in a few years but right now he lacks the frame

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The idea that you think because I want to develop the kids instead of overplay vets that I dont want to win is ridiculous and it just means you're not reading what im saying. The Rockets will lose either way more than likely. There's no guarantee that starting our vets means more wins and if it does it wont be many. So what is the point of that? making a play in? Would the experience not be better for the young guys to get more run? You're saying we wont be successful because teams dont rebuild and become successful is wrong by far all you have to do is look at the current NBA. Playing old heads is not gonna entice any stars to Houston. But if youre successful with the young guys now that will.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yes I would love to see Green have the experience of guarding Lebron and kawhi. You guys sound really scared. Thats like saying "Lets not put AI on Jordan" lol "He's just a rookie cant do that to him". He's a damn NBA player what are we gonna do wait for lebron to retire? You realize theres a such thing as switching? Even if he plays to the 2 or the 1 he will still be sometimes be playing much bigger players. Again you cant coach scared like this WTF lol

burlesk, Denovo and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Tate at the 4 is fine for a rebuilding team.

Green can’t defend small forwards at this stage. We’re trying to develop him defensively.

Stay off the weed brotha. Friends don’t let friends do drugs.

6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

[​IMG]

This is me and @mac_got_this trying to help

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

I dont understand KPJ hype. He has potential and shows glimpses but what he shown is far from confident position in the starting five on NBA team. If he was that good we wouldnt be last

34to11 likes this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

That lineup wouldnt win in Spanish league yet alone be competetive in NBA

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Hmm, I think that's exactly what you've said though. You don't want Wall to play because you want to develop other guys at the expense of veteran leaders and winning now because you think it will lead to more wins in the future. I disagree with your prediction. I also disagree that treating this team like a winning team in terms of rotation is "overplaying vets" or that it will result in "just a few more wins." Our top 3 players/vets missed most of last season. They're back and healthy. I disagree with Vegas that we are a 30 win team. And to be clear, I'm saying we should START the season with every intention of winning and if Wall and co aren't playing well, get hurt, or we just keep losing, THEN transition to playing youth more. But there are plenty of minutes to go around for Green and Sengun. The other two rookies are nowhere near ready to play at the NBA level. Throwing them to the wolves could actually hinder their development. I have faith in Coach Silas.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

By the end of the season I would expect Green and Porter to have played the most minutes and started the most games out of our guard rotation.

Any other outcome means something went wrong.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't be competitive because we'd blow everyone out from the opening tip

Jalen Green OnlyFan and HP3 like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

I have simple approach. You play to win. You compete or you dont. You dont want to install losers mentality in young guys, just ask Morey how the process turned out in philly

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

but why? why? we dont have to do that.....we can just sit him for the season....if tilman cant do that, then does he even own the franchise? or the players agents do?

you aint getting nothing of value for wall, and even if by some miracle you do get a pick for him its of sooo minuscule significance in comparison with how much PT is valuable for the young...

the young players we have are worth boatload of picks...it would be stupid to ruin their development just to extract a dubious pick from trading wall which is a long shot anyway

#113 hakeem94, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you also tarnish reputation of the team when you not play to win....look at garuba disrespecting rockets today by saying its understandable he accepted the lesser role when playing for a good team like real madrid and now hes free to experiment and go wild

15. HP3

HP3 Member

It depends on how well Wall plays, Id rather give it a shot.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

then youre a penny-pincher my friend... Tilman Fritata would be proud of you
    [​IMG]

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  17. 34to11

34to11 Member

I'm not sure why this even has to be said but Green is NOT in competition with Wall.
    I fully expect both to be in the starting backcourt at their respective positions.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The idea is to help him to keep getting better. If you look at some stars like Harden his ppg at this age is where they were. He's young not every player is gonna be a superstar right away like Luka and Trae. Think of someone like Demarr Derozan who is not the greatest 3 point shooter but he is all star caliber. He would be a great piece next to other future stars but wouldnt lead a team to a chip. Also KPJ could easily improve that 3 point shot to atleast 35% in the next couple of years with the playing time.

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We won 17 games lol I mean he's not wrong.

burlesk likes this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

Disagree with ALL of that save for the possibility of KPJ having a breakout season.
    Him being a sixth man on a potentially overachieving team doesn't preclude that.

I have to admit I'm a little shocked and disappointed at how many people are okay with coddling KPJ for fear he'll check out or worse, throw a tantrum. I don't think that should be a concern at all.

First, I don't think the threat is real. Most indications are KPJ understands he's been gifted an amazing second chance in Houston plus he is being properly mentored by one of the best in the biz, Coach Lucas. I think he is primed to start fulfilling his on court potential sans the distractions that have threatened his short career.

Second, if the Rockets do determine he has the potential to be disruptive if things don't go his way then it's better acknowledge it and cut that loss ASAP and not risk it affecting the development of other young talent on the roster.