1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Gioan Baotixita

Here is something for you anti-science in here.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you think this scores a point over anyone?

3. Gioan Baotixita

Scoring points with you guys are too easy, just post endless leftist talking points and you are in the club. My post is not for you lefties but for other posters who still have their minds and capable of critical thinking.

#7963 Gioan Baotixita, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

......capable of entering the MAGA-verse, you mean.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

FB, he's trolling. Responding to this guy is a waste of time, in my humble opinion. As for the "points" the fellow is going on about, we're supposed to assume that he can count. Based on his 5 minute posting history, that's quite an assumption to make.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m still working and am #2 in my company in sales. Be better at your ****ing job lazy ****s. Stop trying to kill me.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got it. Thanks. Good to be reminded.

Deckard and TWS1986 like this.
  8. Gioan Baotixita

Bingo, we have an anti-science lefty here. Care to address the natural immunity V vaccines that Kim Iversen from The Hill is reporting? Too easy to attack the messenger man. Like I've said, you guys are nothing but a bunch of sheep.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Getting infected by the virus brings on stronger immunity response than infected by imitation virus, is that suppose to be news? The problem is, when you get infected by the real virus, you might not recover to build up the immunity, or you might have severe health consequences due to the infection.

FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  10. Gioan Baotixita

You mind clarify what you're saying. What do meant by getting infected by the real virus? Did you watch the short video?

11. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I think it's great that natural immunity works so well. Based on this data (if it passes peer review), I'd be all for people be able to opt out of the first two shots of vaccines if they had a documented positive PCR test result within the last 6 months. The paper also showed that natural immunity does wane over time as well since naturally immunity is only 6x better than vaccination rather than 13x better once you count cases when natural infections occur prior to January 2021. So maybe booster shots for natural immunity people would be necessary after a certain amount of time.

I'd still rather have the vaccine rather than attending a covid infection party though. The benefit of stronger immune response of natural infection does not outweigh the risk of an actual covid infection and risk of spreading to my loved ones.

Here's the paper: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1.full.pdf

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Those previously infected by the virus have better immunity protection than those who have immunity from the vaccine. So does that mean we should all try to get infected by the virus naturally and see how many survive?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Gioan Baotixita

Thank you for an honest response. That is why we need to have a free, open and honest discussion about this instead of shaming and bullying people. Even in Europe, when they're talking about the vaccine passports, they're still giving you choices like if you can provide proof of testing negative within 72 hours, previously infected and then recovered with natural immunity per the antibodies test. Here in the US, we are heading towards that slippery slope that everyone must take the jab regardless of your status at the moment.

I don't know about you but that is scary like hell.

14. Gioan Baotixita

Nobody is saying that. Millions of us have probably been infected and without knowing about it. We just need an honest and open discussion about this without shaming and bullying people who decide not to get the vaccines.

15. jchu14

I can't see a vaccine passport ever being implemented on a state or national level at all. There is too much division and animosity in the country. Even on a city level, is there any vaccine passport aside from NYC? NYC accepts recent negative tests in addition to vaccinations.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

He’s also general and owes $200 or something in bets. Crazy he can’t pay it because she’s a rocket surgeon.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Montgomery County's COVID cases in children top 1,500
    https://www.yourconroenews.com/neig...ildren-top-16423404.php?utm_campaign=hcnfeeds

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...er-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital

Still, Thålin and other researchers stress that deliberate infection among unvaccinated people would put them at significant risk of severe disease and death, or the lingering, significant symptoms of what has been dubbed Long Covid. The study shows the benefits of natural immunity, but “doesn’t take into account what this virus does to the body to get to that point,” says Marion Pepper, an immunologist at the University of Washington, Seattle. COVID-19 has already killed more than 4 million people worldwide and there are concerns that Delta and other SARS-CoV-2 variants are deadlier than the original virus.​

Also, how long does the "natural immunity" last compared to vaccine? Is the study controlling for when the person received the vaccine or got the infection?

#7978 durvasa, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. jchu14

The paper is here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1.full.pdf

The '13 times better' numbers comes from matching times of the first event (positive covid test or 2nd Pfizer shot) that happened between Jan 1, 2021 and Feb 28, 2021. Then looking at how many of these people had a reinfection or breakthrough infection between June 1 and August 14th.

The natural immunity group had a lower prevalence of positive tests, symptomatic infection, and hospitalization.

The authors also compared cases when the all first infection happened before Feb 28th to see if natural immunity wanes over time and the result is that it does wane over time.

I read the paper and IF the covariates are controlled as they claim, then I think it's clear natural immunity is better than vaccination immunity. That is not to say that natural immunity is the preferred method over immunization, since going for full natural immunity mean that millions and millions of people will die. I'd rather be immunized than take a risk of short and long term health complications from a real covid infection.

I am torn on how public policy should change based on this information. If this data holds up, I do think vaccine mandate / passports should take prior infections as a substitute for vaccination. But I don't to entice people to hold covid parties, because that's idiotic.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Was this study peer-reviewed?