1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Potato Diet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

Sounds crazy, right?

Came about after watching Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller talking about his shocking weight loss. I'll post his video but here's my take. My heaviest was 240. In two weeks this dropped me to 225 and I'm still trying to get to my goal of 205 by my 50th, but I want that to be gain rather than diet.

But this worked. And I even cheated by doing a pat of butter & green onions on one, or salsa on another.

Rashmon and Xerobull like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mono diets are a good way to reset your system and get out of bad habits imo.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

"It's the Irishman's Dilemma: do I eat the potato now or wait for it to ferment so I can drink it later?"

@MadMax

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Potatoes?! ****!!!!!1

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Irish had a nearly all potato diet leading into the Famine. Adult men consumed anywhere from 10-14 pounds of potatoes per day. Zero variety and not much to spice it up. Then they’d work physical labor all day. The Irish History podcast did an episode on it where the host tried to eat that quantity in the same way it was prepared back then, and I’d say no thanks. I can totally see how it would help you lose weight.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I wish you the best.

I also hope you got more out of his tale than 'potatoes = weight loss'

This is an opportunity to reshape yourself in more ways than just your appearance.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

Zero

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Losing weight is about caloric deficit.

Doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you stay under a certain value, depending on height / weight / activity level.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Turning 50 in February and will be doing a huge shindig.

I've talked to a friend from HS who's a professional trainer. He'd love to help me but, like he said, he ain't cheap. Lol.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah the common folk would boil the outer portion of the potato, leaving the middle of the potato raw and would eat it whole like that. The raw center would take longer to digest so they wouldn’t be hungry again 2 hours later. Can’t imagine a raw potato is good…

ROCKSS, Nook, MadMax and 2 others like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

An all dick diet would be more appropriate 4 u

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

OHHHHHHHHH lol damnnnnn

14. Buck Turgidson

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I considered posting this, good share, it has ruined the word potatoes for me.

bobloblaw likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I lol'd at the thread title.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe. I did an all-smoothie diet but had to bail early on because I was having constant diarrhea. And it was the worst kind of diarrhea. And it just kept coming and coming and coming. It was that "Squeezed Online" thing I'd heard on the radio. No good.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's not a mono (one thing) diet. It's a mix of juices and/or veggies. https://www.squeezed.com/v3/ALaCarte.aspx

I did the Master Cleanse (Lemonade) diet once. It's lemons, water, cayenne and maple syrup. I lasted a little over 24 hours. On the second day I had a terrible migraine and was insanely hungry, no matter how much of this crap I drank. I ended up going to Fuddruckers during happy hour and that was that. I would recommend taking time off work if you're going to do this because I was pretty useless on day 2.

I was also 100% plant based for about 15 months through early this year. Toward the end I had very little energy and had put on 20lbs. Of course, this was during the bulk of the quarantined pandemic, so part of the weight gain was there. I switched to an organic, low meat intake keto diet and lost that 20lbs in about 6 weeks and have kept it off. I feel much better.

I honestly think that low or no meat diets aren't for everyone. Body type, activity level and body chemistry all play a very large part, IMO. You don't see many fat vegans but you also don't see many big vegans like Penn Jillette. They're usually small people. And they all sort of look a little dried up, like they're not getting the right nutrients. That was another issue with my plant-based diet: I didn't have the time to do it 100% correctly. I'm sure I could have gotten everything my body needed in terms of protein and nutrients but it was a lot of work. I probably would have done much better if my wife were home full time again and could have cooked for me or if I could have paid a chef or service for food, but that's not my jam.

Nook likes this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yep 100%. Count calories. Easiest and most fool-proof. I do think though that there was a study that came out that pointed out that the people that let themselves go up to a certain point, their hunger pangs don't diminish even after they've lost weight and they get hungrier than people that have never reached a certain weight. Paraphrasing, but something like that.

For those people it makes sense psychologically to find a diet that'll meet their psychological needs on top of their caloric needs.

I explained that horrifically, but hopefully the general gist is understandable.