1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who’s your starting 5?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ISO, Aug 11, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Wall/EG/House/Wood/Theis

I expect House’s head to be straight, given he’s in contract year, but if not, I’d start Nwaba
    EG used to be a great 6th man, but he’s too old to be sitting down and stiffing-up after warm-up, so he’s better off as a starter.
    Theis reminds me a bit of Gortat,,hopefully he’ll work well with Wall.
    It’s a good defensive starting line-up, to set up a tone before all the wild teenagers sub-in.

fattz likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let's do it. $200, loser puts it in the tip jar. You in?

mike2k132 likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If this happens there will be riots in the streets. KPJ and Green have to start and Tate > House. What should happen but won’t is KPJ, Green, Tate, Wood, Theis. Super sub group Wall, Gordan, Sequin, KMJ, House

cbass and D-rock like this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is not true of course, Morey stepped down exactly one month before the trade and continued to advise the team after that on its strategy.

They would have planned this well before he stepped down, likely mid November. What a hilarious thought that John Wall is maybe still holding on to that hahaha.

You must think Harden and Westbrook actually had beef.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Let's talk it out just for fun. The Hypothetical.

Wall/Gordon start and lead the team to probably like .400 ball. Outside looking in on playoffs, somewhere in there. Young guys flashing but not 'getting time' really. Then 20-30 games in or so Wall/Gordon start getting nicked up, have to sit out a bit and the young guys start. And they come out HUNGRY and absolutely destroying it. (I feel like this is an extraordinarily likely situation.) Then what?

At that point you've told these kids hey you have to earn it. Veteran rules. Then they do earn it. Do you tell 60+ million dollars to take the back seat for a year and half more? It's not like you'll be resigning them right, but you also don't want to tell the guys you actually consider 'the future' hey, thanks for doing what we asked you to do but also you don't get the reward of playing time/starting. This is the kind of decision that stomps out confidence both on-court and from a roster standpoint that a player can trust/believe in a team's perspective. This is a Dantoni type of move.

So you set the veteran rules and say earn it... do you think Silas or Stone or Tilman paying this money has the fortitude to make the right decision WHEN it inevitably comes up?

Bit of a side note but this is why I say the rebuild just began. Clearing the Harden era Rockets, bringing in new talent...now it's time to develop and address the 'veteran conundrum'. THEN it will be phase 3, what to do with the end result of development? Who stays, who goes and who then to acquire, draft, sign, develop? This year is probably another throw away season and I'm not going to be happy about PR spin trying to paint it otherwise (because it's baloney AND it will start the clock on Silas even though he deserves to basically have his contract reset for dealing with this BS for minimum two seasons)

Jalen Green impressed me at summer league man. Idk how much Eric Gordon I'm going to be able to take if this kid is burying buckets in people's faces in the big leagues.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

MY STARTING FIVE
    PORTER
    GREEN
    TATE
    THEIS
    WOOD
    SECOND FIVE
    WALL / CHRISTOPER
    GORDON / BROOKS
    MARTIN
    SENGUN
    GARUBA

7. kimba enrique

kimba enrique Member

8. kimba enrique

kimba enrique Member

Porter
    Wall
    Tate
    Wood
    Theis

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

God I hope not. Wasted minutes on people who wont be here in the future.

10. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Kpj/green/Tate/theiss/wood

Nwaba wall Gordon house as bench guys

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Bet

12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol so Morey was pulling the strings while quiting n setting up his 76ers job lol. Wow Tillman really is a cuck then lol. Stop bro, that was a stone move

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

FYI I never lose sports bets. I know to much basketball.

14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I mean wood may be better. But I don't see anything special in wood yet. N im not a big guy, so you gotta be embid level for me to take notice. Im in the I would trade wood club.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Good, that's easy money for you.

If Tate+House+Gordon are healthy and the rockets start your predicted line up in game 1 regular season, you win.

If your predicted 5 starters are healthy and they don't start that line up in game 1 regular season, you lose.

You in for $200?

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Morey, MDA, Harden and Westbrook were evacuating strategically.

You seriously think Morey rediscovered his passion for basketball, MDA preferred to be an assistant, Westbrook and Harden beefed then made up miraculously? It's not realistic lol, just think about it for a second.

These guys had each other's backs and they weren't about to leave Westbrook with Tilman in a rebuild, rockets would have John Wall'd him. In fact, I bet harden and Westbrook knew they were only going to take one shot at it. Reports surfaced later that this wasn't the first time Harden asked for a trade.

We're still stuck with the guy who won't pay the MLE in luxury tax territory when his team is taking Durant's Warriors to 6-7 games in the playoffs. Him and Wall.

Good thing we have Stone, Lucas and Morey's infrastructure.

D-rock likes this.
  17. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Mine will be:

Wall (no way he's going to let himself come off the bench)
    Green
    Tate
    Sengun
    Wood

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

The idea of having seasoned vets play significant minutes is to be competitive and have the teenagers (including KPJ and KMJ) be involved in meaningful high-leverage minutes. That's important for development, maybe more than having high volume playing time when you are just getting beat into a pulp...

jdjd, pippendagimp and CXbby like this.
  19. MultipleSauces

Has there been precedence for subbing all five starters out and putting five bench players on the floor besides garbage time? Let’s say we go with veterans to start the game then sub them all and let our young guns wreck other teams backups and gain chemistry playing together ..
    wall / Gordon /tate / wood / theis to start then sub them all out for Kpj/green/kmj/sengun/garuba.. we have enough talent for two starting lineups tbh .let our 19 year olds play together on the floor and develop that chemistry together . Everyone else injury insurance . But what do I know I’m not a coach . Whoever does best in practice competition should start

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its dumb, when we win more games playing vets that arent our future and we drop out of the lottery I will say I told you so. BTW getting beat is how you learn to get better. If your gonna rebuild then rebuild, when you go to shower you dont just stick your leg in that wouldnt be showering. Get your ass in the shower and stay there til you're clean lol

#120 Joe Rocket, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021