1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who’s your starting 5?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ISO, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

lol I was totally trolling man. That scenario is my actual hell.

Can't wait to see which veteran gets hurt first. My bet is Gordon.

mike2k132 likes this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

ITs gonna happen though

none of us want to watch John wall go full commander mode again, but with this yougn team especialyl from the start they will unleash in practice. Rookies are still rookies, and most likely theyll get the start. What I do hope is just we can limit their minutes, help their egos by starting, and when they goung boys are still hungry and keep improving we switch it up.

Its a compromise, I think everyone on this board knows our team is about the future and wall and eric gordon have a foot out the door but no where to f'n go at the moment, but silas will have to manage ethose dudes to and our best case scnerio is we move awall at the trade deadline most likely in the offseason. If we have to go al horfords way and send him home, so be it

but its not a bad thing to bring rookies off th ebench, give them still extensive minutes and they can observe adn get hungry to get in the game and earn their keep a little while also still being featured and getting a lot of minutes and touches. John wall and the vets will be more physical, stronger, and just have the vet moves of knowing what they can get away with so the rookies can pick all that up and hopefully by the end of the year were looking Green, tate,kmj, wood in the line up. Sengung coming off the bench. I see KPJ as a starter in talent, but maybe as a ginobili role it really just depends on how willing hes able to move the ball around as we don't want another harden situation and his natural instinct is as a scorer although he can do a lot of things.

but silas finally gets a stable training camp, the boys are in bahamas building chemistry
    phew, nice job stone, rockets have our direction. Can't wait to get rolling, just hate that it starts with meaningless preseason scrimmages and just wait those out

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

How so?

D-rock likes this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m not understanding the reason folks are assuming Wall should start just because he was once an all-NBA player. He may still have value for 20-25 mpg but Wall is the past and KPJ/Green are the present.

Starting all 3 makes no sense to me defensively. Both KPJ and Green are lacking the ‘sand in their pants’ to guard forwards.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall should be 6th man IMO.

But ... Silas.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Silas largely gets a free pass because last year was an absolute S**t show, but if he can’t stand up to Wall he shouldn’t be an NBA head coach.

Crashlanded19, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah... I guess I just want to hit fast forward a bit. It's been a long time since we've seen a young player here, let alone a young team. I just want to hand the playing time over to the youth and let them take their beatings, that's probably not the way to go but I just can't stand watching John Wall play. Knowing Gordon could help a veteran playoff team, knowing he probably wants to be there and knowing he's going to have a leg injury a month before the trade deadline doesn't help. I just feel resigned to the fate of having to deal with the negatives of half our salary cap going to Wall/Gordon for 2 more seasons and want to bypass it any way possible.

9. DonatelloLimestone

You are right, but they need right role models. To me thats why I 'm big on infrastructure and its not suprise that small market teams are pouring in 100s of millionf for facilities recovery training, having extra staff that all leads to a culture that brings the best of the potential out. OKC did this and harden/durant/westbrook would talk about their culture was daily workouts even in the offseason and they'd do their individaul work outs, get in runs, and the whole culture was about working on their game...whose to say that they'd be as great, if they were in a franchise that said just sell jerseys do your thing and well bring the standard minimum to you.

Think of tryreke evans, all the talent in the world, 20-5-5 as a rookie, but he flamed out. Of course its on him ultimately, but if you do want to learn adn want whats best we can look where sacramento could've made a differenc

So to me the non headlinging moves arebring in vets, let the young guys earn it. I'm not saying don't play em, i'm saying play them siginficantly even at first, just maybe off the bench, its not just Lamelo last year even John Stockton came off the bench. I just don't think its a big deal as long as you get those heavy minutes and touches. And in a month, two months or whatevr their own pace is they can feel like htey earned it a bit, keep hungry

so to me its about development and how you bring it along. We all know green is talented, we all know kpj is talented. he flourisehd with us, but not with cavs, so we gotta do this right bc we have a lot of talent and my focus isn't on wall or gordon as it shouldnt be, its all about them
    and then trade deadline/offseaosn we can rid of wall gordon when the deal doesnt have us losing future assets

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Is it going to standing up to Wall.... or the FO..... ? I think it's the latter. Parting ways with Wall and Gordon is pretty mutual at this point and that's not going to happen on the bench.

11. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

KPJ must start. He's earned it.

But so has Tate... Idk

#91 burlesk, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    don grahamleone likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Most likely starting 5.

burlesk and Denovo like this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love all the spellings for Nwaba in this thread so in honor of that I'd say:

C-Nwana
    PF-Nwabe
    SF-Nwamba
    SG-Nawaba
    PG-Neweeba

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol what people don't understand is a healthy Wall is better then all the guys on the team rn, don't be casuals. Wall is not coming off the bench. N it guys beyond on court reasons. They brought wall here, wall didn't ask to come to Houston. They sold him on being the missing piece to convince harden to stay lmao. Never forget that.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly, make him 6th man and let him go hero ball on second units. I'm sure he can do that really well for 25-30 minutes. Preserve his health a bit too.

That sends the right message to the young guys as well: the only thing that matters is practice and performance. Not salary, age or reputation.

Frankly it might even raise his trade value if teams saw that he has his ego under control and he's coachable in a non-superstar role.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm honestly surprised that this starting line up is being projected. I think there's little to no chance we go out with all 3 of our top shot creators, 0 capable defenders at PG/SG/SF and all 3 of which are likely to be streaky shooters.

Why even put them in that position? What about Wood who can create some extremely efficient offense with touches?

I think one of those 3 guards sits and they get replaced by the best defender who can hit an open 3 (I predict Tate can't be kept out of a starting lineup, just one of those guys). There's plenty of minutes to go around, we should limit Gordon heavily anyway (20-25 minutes).

Wall is just so out of place here tbh. Augustin is more than capable of handling the vet PG minutes we need.

groovemachine, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nah man, Wall was just the only one dumb enough to believe it.

Morey wanted to trade Westbrook asap because Morey/Harden/MDA/WB had discussed an exit plan and Westbrook would have been the only one trapped in a rebuild. They evacuated him to a safe spot and his agent would eventually figure out a path for him to join a better team (surprise, Lakers).

If basketball was about skills alone Kyrie Irving would be the greatest player of all time. Wall gives you MLE production at $40m per season. Wtf would we give Wall minutes when there are so many players who are in rapid improvement phase?

Just a poor investment imo. He's the least likely asset to improve in value based on minutes. For Wall, his trade value is linked to his health and ego - he can display those qualities in any role. That's his ticket out of here, I'm sure he wants to join a better team too.

jdjd and hakeem94 like this.
  18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol who wants to tell him it was stone who did this, morey wasnt even apart of the team anymore lol.

19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol. How much you wanna bet its gonna be a 3 guard lineup. No disrespect, you gonna be in for a shock then. I knew that the minute we drafted green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol better in which sport?
    tanking?
    basketball is not ice skating or gymnastics where you need to artistically impress the refs by skillfully dribbling the ball or making tough faces