1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not bad, that's less than 20 bucks a meal.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now that is worth trying... unfortunately, I ain't goin' to Buffalo, NY anytime soon. :(

basso likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pustka Family BBQ in Hutto. The Josh sandwich was amazing.

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't have 20 minutes to listen to that...

Tell us what they say!

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is an hour and 21 minutes from my house. May be worth a trip for sure.

That and some Paula's donuts.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

That LA BBQ uses Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard and pickle juice on their brisket and the owner intimated that Franklns doesn’t just use salt and pepper.

Guy tried both ways and liked the LA way better.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

got a screen grab of JL's formula, and will definitely give it a try.

Attached Files:

Blake and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. basso

Supporting Member

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Lowrey Season Salt as one of main ingredient in the rub which is what John Lewis (formally Franklin, formally La Barbecue) uses as part of his rub. Pickle Juice and yellow mustard before the rub.

12. Buck Turgidson

Right on!

I've heard of the mustard, and the pickle juice, but just not in combination. Now I also need to do a taste test b/t Lawry's (which I haven't used on anything in years) and Tony C's, which I have used as my salt substitute on ribs before.

I am intrigued by these ideas.

13. Buck Turgidson

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

8 parts Black pepper, 3 parts Lawry, 3 parts kosher salt, one part granulated garlic on Mustard and Pickle juice.

15. Buck Turgidson

I generally disdain store-bought pickles...is the reason for pickle-juice-specific vinegar because of the dill?

I'm looking at some jars of various homemade pickled peppers that might be an interesting alternative. Thoughts?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't do Tony C's on Brisket. the chili powder on a long smoke is a mistake. My 1st brisket since I moved back to Houston this summer after 13 yrs away, i remembered too late that I threw out all my homemade rub prior to the move. So ran to store and got Salt Lick's ribs spice, and didn't check the ingredients (has cayenne and chili powder). That was a mistake. Probably good for ribs, but the heat was very noticeable on brisket. If that was due to the time difference between ribs and brisket, I would hesitate to test out anything with chili powder again on brisket.

I also don't understand using Lawry's ... why would I put sugar and cornstarch on a brisket.

Anyhoot, overall, it's just not that big of deal what goes into a rub. More about what doesn't go into it. I just mix bulk spice together. My mop is going to equally affect the bark at the end of the day, anyhow.

imo, this mix of two vinegars is classic overthinking the rub. although, he could be saying that the standard advice of yellow mustard is not enough vinegar for him, so cut it some more. i guess

I'd just ignore that, because if you're already using yellow mustard, combining will be unnoticeable difference on a long smoke, esp if your mop has some vinegar, too.

I agree that Salt and Pepper only is not the way ... I wouldn't doubt that's a lie, although I'm convinced Killens indeed does only Salt/Pepper, and Franklin fooled them into doing that. :D

But going to other extreme that there's some magical mix of many ingredients is silly, too.

It isn't that big of a deal, when taking into account the mop too...but I am definitely against Salt/Pepper only ... esp too much of either. I also don't do coarse grind rubs (except for coarse salt, which I keep separate from fine spice mix). But that's minor. Just saying I've found mixing coarseness -- like powdered spices with coarse pepper -- doesn't allow for even mixing. at least stick to all coarse or all fine, but not a mix.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

BTW, if you want to take up Lewis' advice in the comments and show up to la Barbecue to have him explain it, don't. lol. He left la Barbecue a few years ago and then started up his own Texas BBQ joint in South Carolina. :D

18. Buck Turgidson

Oh lordie...that's almost a whole new thread.

fyi: we call it "sop" in the hill country

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I would use Lawry’s vs Tony’s on brisket.
    I’m a straight up yellow
    Mustard/coarse pepper/kosher salt guy on brisket but may try this way soon

20. basso

Supporting Member

good to know; South Carolina is closer anyway.