1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I am convinced all creative and designer positions in the NBA are run by morons.

B-Bob, saleem and J.R. like this.
  2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Because he does a little bit of everything you need on a team, more than just setting picks. With more minutes and a defined role I see his numbers going up.

“Over the past two seasons, Theis was one of four players to have averaged at least 9.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and 1.00 bpg in fewer than 25.0 mpg. He joined Anthony Davis and Robert Covington as the only players over that span to have recorded at least 1,200 points, 700 rebounds, 200 assists, 140 blocks, 70 steals, and 80 3-pointers made. Since entering the league in 2017-18, Theis joins Giannis Antetokounmpo and John Collins as the only players to have shot 55.0% or better from the floor with at least 100 3-pointers made.”

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't see a player out there that I'd offer the full NT-MLE .... its not a good crop of FA's IMO.

I could see them using part of it on Brooks when they clear a roster spot and its not hard to imagine that there was some kinda handshake deal to that effect otherwise he doesn't take that two way QO - With his shooting , there's a team that would have offered him an NBA contract .... even if its for the minimum. I think he's here because this is where he wants to be.

I did consider Markkanen but he just doesn't fit here , he's such a bad defender and would just get in the way of playing the young guys.
    Thing is , he's still out there and most of the money around the league is dried up and he would be a solid asset at that price. Easily moved for a draft pick any time you chose to do so after the moratorium but that might look kinda bad , real Morey-ish in treating everyone like an asset.

HTXSportsAddict and saleem like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI, I have confirmed the contract structure for Daniel Theis:

2021-22: $8.3M
    2022-23: $8.7M
    2023-24: $9.1M
    2024-25: $9.5M (TEAM OPTION)

The team option is key here. It is really just a 3-year, $26 million contract, with the added benefit of a $9.5 million team option if the Rockets want to take advantage of that option. If not, they can always just decline the option in 2024 and either (A) walk away from Theis or (B) negotiate a new, more team-friendly contract with him at that time.

All in all, not a terrible contract for a defensive center who understands his role, can mentor the young players and does things on the floor that this Rockets team really needs (post defense, setting good screens, switch-ability on D, etc.).

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We still haven’t used a dime of our MLE money, and nobody is left lol

D-rock likes this.
  9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Do we need to use it at this point? I mean we have a lot of youth on the team now and we not trying to find that one player to put us over the top on a contending roster. Save the money and see what we got with the young guys for now.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

(Go ahead Tilman defenders, you can defend it this year and years to come as they rebuild.)

TWS1986, slothy420, clos4life and 5 others like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

As much as everybody is crying about the Theis signing, and be-laboring how the vets are going to take mins from our youth brigade, why the angst of not using the MLE on yet another middlin vet to take away more mins. If in fact, we are in contention for the playoffs we will have flexibility for buy-outs etc. It is stupid to spend money just to spend it.

AXG likes this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Totally fine with not using MLE this year but the last years when we were competing for championships were inexcusable.

Only reason I would sign someone would be to trade for assets at the deadline this year.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like there was some intent to use the MLE here… If it goes unused, that was just $1.1M down the drain. I’m guessing Stone is hoping to keep a slot or two open to sign a promising G Leaguer or the like to a multi-year deal (like Moses Brown or Alize Johnson last year) — or even Armoni Brooks.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes, keeping his powder dry for the right move. In Stone, we should trust.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can't laugh at this because I'm stuck on how ugly those 00s jerseys are. The 90s jerseys are infinitely better.

clos4life likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

People talking about using MLE Which hasn’t been used for years including the harden era the last few years is hilarious. No need to use it now but but but no need to use it years prior either :rolleyes:

clos4life likes this.
  18. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Mr. Tilman is frugal

clos4life and J.R. like this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Theis/Sengun
    Wood/Garuba
    Tate/House
    Green/Gordon
    Wall/KPJ

I don't know how this team won't make the playoffs with our history of successfully using advanced stats to overachieve. I think if we're on pace to make the playoffs before the deadline, then we should aggressively shop Wall + future picks for a semi-young lockdown wing defender who can - at minimum - hit open corner 3's. Gives Green and KPJ breathing room to improve too.

Replacing Wall with a prime Ariza type of player MIGHT put us in homecourt conversation early in these guys' career. We should really look into how many picks Toronto would want to swap Wall's shorter contract for FVV and OG - two guys who fit perfect and have championship experience. If Raptors are considering trading Siakam, then they are in full rebuild no matter what Masai says publicly. Would take 2 really good first rounders or 3 decent first rounders imo.

We'd also then be packed with great contracts to trade for a disgruntled superstar that breaks loose. Exciting season. Hopefully Stone is more patient than I am lol.

Rashmon and hakeem94 like this.
  20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2020-21: Non-Taxpayer MLE partially utilized (KJ Martin, Jae’Sean Tate, Khyri Thomas)

2019-20: Taxpayer MLE fully utilized (Danuel House, Chris Clemons, David Nwaba)

2018-19: Taxpayer MLE partially utilized (Isaiah Hartenstein, Gary Clark)

2017-18: Non-Taxpayer MLE fully utilized (PJ Tucker, Zhou Qi)

There are certainly criticisms that can be made of Tilman Fertitta, but the notion that the Rockets didn’t utilize their MLE under his tenure is flat-out untrue.