1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marwin Gonzalez Appreciation Tread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Swiss Roll, Feb 22, 2019.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Don’t know what he has left, but he might be at least a boost to the team’s morale, for the guys that were there in 2017. He’s definitely an Astros legend. Not many Astros have hit game-saving home runs in the ninth inning of the World Series.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Exactly. He's still a solid defender at all positions, so if someone is out due to injury or covid protocols, I wouldn't have to worry about him too much.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

He's still a solid defender at all positions and if he hits as well as Diaz has were in good shape.

4. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

All he has to do is have an .821 OPS to hit as well as Diaz. No problem for a guy who has only had an OPS that high once in his career, and a .583 combined OPS the past two seasons.

SWTsig, Bregatron, Sep11ie and 4 others like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Huge morale boost for the clubhouse.

Not having George Springer to boost morale is becoming apparent.
    Maybe trade for George Springer in the future.

SWTsig likes this.
  6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Wow! Marwin is back! Hope to never see Robel or Wilson again this season

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I love it. Solid veteran, can still play decent defense. Obviously don’t want to rely on him, but can’t think of another 13th position player I’d rather see pinch hitting in extra innings of a playoff game than my main man Marwin.

ETA: he might also have good intel if the Astros end up facing the Red Sox in the playoffs.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I appreciate Marwin for making sure Robel Garcia is never considered a possibility to start ever again on this team.

jklb, jakedasnake, Rock Block and 6 others like this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

I was at that game, that GS felt like the turning point where the Rangers' run of the division was over, and the Astros were on their way to taking the mantle for the foreseeable future. Rangers owned us in 2016, this bomb changed everything.

jakedasnake and Fulgore like this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He’s better than Robel, sounds good to me

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Marwin is a very solid defender at all positions he plays. That is his super power. If he could even hit .240 for us, he would be a benefit. He will be Aledmys's back-up because Diaz is have a phenomenal year with a WAR of 2.0 while only playing 60 games.

jakedasnake likes this.
  14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

has he been playing at all this season??

15. noppeper

noppeper Member

Obviously in for this move, since Marwin along with Big D Charlie and Springer, had some of the biggest moments in that WS run and unfortunately are no longer with the team.

But man, trash can or not, the Astros seemingly had every bang-bang play go their way in that series. If that throw would have been just slightly offline, the runner was safe. Same for that Bregman home throw, etc, etc.

Let's hope our boys rediscover the magic for the run this year.

16. lastreg

lastreg Member

We need him back then, for the better looking beard!

17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

All of this.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

19. Yordan The Great

Biggest home run in Astros history.

20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I'm excited for Marwin. Would be funny if he regains his magic from 2017 so we can see more people cry and have conspiracy theories on how they must be still cheating. He has ok numbers as a right handed batter vs left handed pitchers but has poor numbers as left handed batter vs a right handed batter. Have him as a defensive replacement or a pinch hitter against a lefty and perhaps he becomes useful. Totally different but when the Astros acquired Verlander it energized the team and you know what happened. Hopefully signing a old friend and fan favorite energizes the lockerroom and he helps them win another tittle. But I guess he 1st has to make it to the big club. How does a minor league contract work? He could only play in the minors and they still have to sign him to a major league contract before he puts on a Astros uniform?