1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warning: Green Knight - spoilers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JW86, Aug 26, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I had to start a separate thread just to make sure as many people as possible won’t be wasting their precious time on this abomination. In short, it’s a pretentious movie based on a poem translated by Tolkien - known for Hobbit & LotR - that has a focus on the human side of brave knights who usually do a lot and up getting the girl.

In short, this movie drags out every scene like it’s something major and the first hour is excruciatingly dull. Aside from the main event that leads the main character played by Dev Patel on an adventure, we get very little background information and enough to connect to the people, their culture, ways etc.

Dev is a great actor but they gave him nothing. He has no personality aside from being a weirdo who cannot get it up for a boyish Alicia Vikander and is a coward when it comes to love and fighting, yet was brave for one moment that caused his own demise.

He chops off the head of a walking tree that talks and after the first hour and some minutes when he arrived to get the favour returned, we experience a journey of roughly 45 minutes that is all in his head only to end up actually getting his head chopped off. The End.

I cannot believe this film was made with this script, this little body in terms of character development, plot, story arch. It’s a 30 minute short film stretched out over 2 hours! And while I like phantasy and mystery, this ironically has very little of both and no creativity to truly make it come alive. It relied on cheap music and cheap visions instead.

Easily top 10 worst movies with top notch acting talent, so please save yourselves!! I was lucky I didn’t go to the theater and could fast forward through a part of it.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Oh dang, I like the movie (but as a casual). I didn't know the backstory it was based on.

I watched that and the jungle cruise same day. It was better than Jungle Cruise. (not a high bar).

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol, I guess that's one way of describing it :D

bobloblaw and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i prefer suggs knight

B-Bob likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Thanks, ah yes if the warning is the spoilers, hahah my bad. Delete / close thread! I posted my review there, in a better, more coherent way and less emotional since I wrote this right after watching it.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I remember hating that poem in high school. Pass.

8. Buck Turgidson

You seem exceptionally worked up about a movie that you didn't read in high school.

Especially given that it has gotten solid reviews from, well, everyone else.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

It shouldn't matter if I read the source material, should it? I get emotional, because it was portrayed as some master piece, which it really is not. It has not gotten solid reviews from everyone, it's getting absolutely trashed by plenty. And for good reason. Just try to warn people to not waste their time and of course it's all subjective, but if that many people think it's garbage, then there'a good chance the average joe won't like it either. My guess is that whoever appreciates it likes the poems, the message, the acting and is not too critical of believability or backstory. If you just watch this movie with no prior knowledge like myself, then you need more from the movie itself to get into it and that's not on me, that's on the producers and writers.

Entropy likes this.