1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Rockets Try to Get Nerlens Noel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MettaWorldPete, Aug 25, 2021.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

In hindsight, thank God we didn't. Allah be praised.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

As long as Klutch Sports has Lebron, it doesn't have to worry about much

sirjesse, D-rock and Nook like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Noel's complaint is that Klutch intentionally threw him under the bus in favor of LBJ et al by giving him bad advice snd steering bidders away, not that he wasn't smart enough to get him a bigger contract

D-rock likes this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Member

Anyone remember Brabra repeatedly saying we were after Noel last offseason? lol

Highlyrated likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont know which side I like least...
    The slimy agent who didnt do their job - or the jerkwad player who trashed the house...
    What do you do when the media isnt there to tell you which side to support? lol! ;)

RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I miss Brabra.

Highlyrated likes this.
  7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

There is a liability tied to the contract they sign, someone with a legal or finance background would recognize that he has a duty to actually give a ****, hence the reason for this lawsuit being legitimate. Rich also told Nerlens to leave his agent and that he would get him a max, this is not a promise anyone who has a legal or financial background would make. Typically people who have experience in this field understand the amount of things that can go wrong over the course of a year, you don't make that type of promise. Someone with a finance background will not guarantee you a specific return, and someone with a legal background wouldn't guarantee you a specific outcome in a negotiation. Rich and Lebron are salesman, salesman are the type to make an promise they can not keep, if you have experience in corporate America or in a legal setting, you know how to choose your words in a way that won't bring on specific liability.

MettaWorldPete and Highlyrated like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Definitely true.

If I were KD or a player with influence and significant endorsement relationships, I would start an agency and hire qualified people and just be a marketer, instead of hiring friends that are not qualified. I would then point to their qualifications and explain how the Rich Paul's and BJ Armstrong's of the industry are a recipe for disaster.

KD and Rich Kleinman have made some incredible moves and investments, I would not be surprised if KD ends up with more money than Lebron with the relationships he has and what he focuses his energy on outside of basketball. KD went to GS to win, but he also networked with elite venture capitalists. He invested in postmates and coinbase in early rounds, with 50X returns. Lebron likes the idea of fame and being an entertainer, thats why he is on IG and dancing around and doing movies. My guess is just as KD can quietly put up 40+ points, he will quietly become a billionaire.

#29 BallSoHarden, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Not sure we are reading the same thing, his complaint is based on negligence and not fulfilling his duties as an agent, which includes responding to teams that are interested as well as negotiating to the best of his ability. By not responding to potential bidders, he did not recognize his liability as agent, including doing what he agreed to do which is get him the best deal possible, by ignoring teams he did not fulfil his contractual duty. He also made him a promise of getting him a max if he left his agent, that is not a promise someone with actual experience would do given that he told him to take a minimum QO and wait a year. It is not so much the intelligence required I am not implying is he is smart or not, I referenced education and experience because it is relevant. His first client was LBJ, there is not a whole lot of negotiating when your client is guaranteed a max deal, this is the same reason Harden can get away with his mom being his agent, because people are offering you the super max the first chance they get. Once you start taking on clients that are not guaranteed a max, you actually have to do real work. Someone with experience in law or business would recognize risks and liabilities, it is what is drilled into them with case studies in school and in the real world. You don't promise Nerlens Noel a max if he leaves his agent after tequila shots at Ben Simmons birthday party.

hakeem94 and sydmill like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

I think this is a huge sign that mid range talent should stay far away from super star agents. I can totally see LBJ telling Paul to float all trades his way so that he can manipulate things all he can. This is basically tampering on LBJ’s part.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember @basketballholic being absolutely in love with Nerlens Noel, saying he was a million times better than Clint Capela.

Highlyrated and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

How does one find out about something like this? Thats so weird lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's ok to simultaneously hold the view that Noel is a bad tenant AND that Klutch representation of him was unethical/unlawful.

14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Idk if his claim about passing on $70 million is completely meritless. It’s an uphill climb but if he can prove that Rich guaranteed he’d get $100+ million by turning it down and signing with Klutch he may have something. If he could also prove Rich was lying and knew getting a bigger deal would be hard that’s something too.

Agreed that Klutch doing a crappy job the following offseason will have more merit, but he will also probably need to be able to show how much money he lost because of that. If the other potential deals Klutch didn’t pass along or pursue were for comparable money but he just would have signed with a team he’d rather play for that gets more complicated.

15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

What is the difference between dookie and feces?

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For a guy with a picture of a toilet as his avatar I'm disappointed you don't know.

Pat likes this.
  17. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

In any event Klutch really should have just let that $200k Noel owes them go.

This will ultimately cost them a lot more, even if it’s just one less client they get because of this.

18. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Landlord was mad

BamBam likes this.
  19. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.