1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's so obvious you couldn't give two ***** about our servicemen and women and are using this to troll your shitty political takes.

Nook, AleksandarN, T_Man and 3 others like this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

You’re being disingenuous and you know it. The tweets trumpeting the lack of casualties were motivated by partisanship. It wasn’t just some random celebratory tweet. It was a tweet designed to bolster the administration.

The old pat yourself on the back tweets look pretty stupid in hindsight

Nobody is celebrating American casualties.

Nook, Astrodome and TheresTheDagger like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some of these accounts never post in the Rockets forums
    @J.R.

4. adoo

adoo Member

ur ignorant

HK is comprised of HK Island and the Kowloon pennisula which borders China; there are lots of traffics between the PRC and HK

Singapore is not an island, it borders Indonesia, which has a high COVID inflection rate

AleksandarN likes this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

This is true, BUT that was a GIGANTIC blunder, that led to everything else. Similar to the one blunder they made on the Titanic was not spotting the iceberg sooner.

and yes, we should have. Or at least had a phased withdrawal that included testing their capability/will/etc so that if we needed to plan around complete disbandment, we could have.

jboslett likes this.
  6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I haven't seen any, but would have to think they are quite large. Several times that of our military casualties...so...dozens?

Keep in mind that the report is that ISIS attacked and gunned down people after the bomb blast. Had to be ...hundreds? of civilians there?

7. TheresTheDagger

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I incorrectly assumed you were talking about the terrorist attacks.

We are in a mad scramble to evacuate people because not only the US but the Afghan gov, their people, our allies didn't expect the Afghan military would just melt away and their gov fall within weeks. The fact that we are in a mad scramble, even when our military knew of ISIS-K targetting them over the past days, is the very opposite of abandonment. It's not comparable to the abandonment of the Kurds.

The failure of the Biden admin isn't for abandoning anyone but for their military withdrawal without plan B for the case where the Afghan gov collapse within weeks. They absolutely deserve criticism for that part.

Nook, AleksandarN and quikkag like this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There should have been better planning and we should have been moving civilians out much, much earlier. That I agree with.

Getting all the civilians out of Afghanistan much sooner probably would not be as simple as you're making it out to be. Many would have been left behind who weren't compelled to leave until they knew the Taliban would be taking full control. And that was only evident after the US military vacated. The Afghan government we were allied with would have been against us evacuating Afghans in mass numbers, basically signaling that we have no confidence that they'd be able to withstand a complete Taliban takeover. I don't think there's anyway to avoid a tragedy given the realities on the ground over there.

Nook, T_Man, DaDakota and 1 other person like this.
  11. AB

AB Contributing Member

But it was a phased withdrawal . phased from 14k to 2.5k.
    I thought I heard few military officers saying reducing the troop further is extremely risky. At that point it should be swift withdrawal

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Biden loves to flash that smile even on the saddest of days.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I saw that it's at least in 60s, but it always seems like civilian casualties with these sort of attacks are vastly undercounted at first. I expect it to be in the hundreds, ultimately. Very sad. Between Taliban and ISIS, the Afghani people are completely ****ed.

14. NewRoxFan

When terrorists flew places into the Twin Towers and the pentagon, Americans united behind President Bush. When a terrorist group killed American soldiers in Afghanistan, retrumplicans ignored past support of trump's plans to leave Afghanistan and jumped on partisan calls for Biden to resign...

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, it was. Either it wasn't phased enough, or they didn't pay attention to the lessons they learned. I'm thinking more the latter. Bagram was overrun like..immediately, was it not? That didn't seem to change their plans at all.

It is true that they probably didn't have enough troops to do more than that. Well, bring in more troops, then. Certainly better than leaving Americans behind enemy lines, much less all of our allies there.

16. TheresTheDagger

You're wasting your time.

This is NeRF. The one who spends every day of his life posting tweets in support of progressive anything in this forum regardless of what's happening. A true kool-aid drinker.

17. NewRoxFan

Did you watch the press conference? President Biden fought back tears, and his voice broke throughout.

quikkag and DaDakota like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

The fact that you even believe I am a "progressive" shows how little you actually know...

AleksandarN and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Trump...you back at that guy?? The mean tweeting president? Who is NO longer in office?

Look I understand this war spanned 4 administrations and 20+ years. Why did the Taliban pick this moment to overthrow the Afghani govt? Why? Even when Trump was at his weakest during the height of impeachment hoax and the onset of COVID 19 pandemic...why did the Taliban "stay put?"

Did the esteemed "intelligence agencies" fail to advise the president regarding this rapidly evolving situation. Stop making excuses for this inept administration - Biden willfully ignored his staff. These "decisions" directly led to the collapse of a govt and now a massive humanitarian crisis - playing out on a global stage. Today, it led to needless deaths. We will continue to see this recur. The region has suddenly become very unstable, and the world saw our leader undercut our nation.

And to answer your question about a grand master plan - refer to what Trader said.

Anyways back to my hibernation.