1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video essay on Josh Christopher in Summer League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Aug 21, 2021.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

maybe in like a regular game where wins actually matter

and not sure where you got that? so jokic, lebron, cp3, white chocolate, rubio, rondo are all ballhogs?

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not sure how you infered that from what i wrote...all these players will gladly make the simplest of passes... not sure thats the case with josh

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I wish everyone would look at these 19 year olds like you have here. Personally I liked a few other guys at his spot better. For one McBride. I felt like his shooting was already there and his defense is solid. But hey 2 years ago McBride couldn't hit the 3 either so maybe JC puts in the work and gets it in order. I get they passed on Grimes because they are looking for potential in JC.

I really don't see these later picks as a huge mistake if they miss, more of a bonus if they contribute in a few years.

hakeem94 and foggy94 like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A good athlete a below average basketball player.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that's basically what you wrote

"fancy pass is a hallmark of a ballhog"

D-rock likes this.
  6. anchel

anchel Member

D-rock likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I see what you're saying about the stats for Jae'Sean. It seems like he's inconsistent across the months, but what I look at is willingness to pull the trigger because you trust your ability.

December, January, Febuary (32 games) he shot the ball 65 times from three point land. (32.3%)
    March, April, May (38 games) he shot the ball 130 times from three point land. (30.0%)

KJ Martin shot 36.5% all year. I think that'll be serviceable if that continues.

Found this excerpt:
    "Hornacek was a key member of the Utah Jazz during the mid-to-late 1990’s and for his career, shot 49.6% from the floor, 40.3% from 3-point range, and 87.7% from the foul line. He joined the Jazz as a shooting coach in 2007 and became an assistant coach in 2010-11. Hornacek was head coach of Phoenix for two and a half seasons from 2013-16 and for two seasons with New York from 2016-18. Rockets forward P.J. Tucker played for Hornacek during his time with the Suns."

If you were the shooting coach before in Utah, I imagine you might be again in Houston (amongst others). That being said, there were about 37 assistant coaches on the sideline during the Summer League, so likely many are "shooting coaches". I just thought I remembered Tate citing Weaver and Martin citing Lucas on shooting. I could certainly be mistaken, but someone is working with them at the NBA level. Tate never went to the G League and Martin barely shot the long ball when he got to the team. He went from not being a 3 point shooter to bam, 36.5 percent. KJ Martin shot 13.9% from three in the GLeague. There's certainly a story there even if it hasn't been very loud as to where it came from.

Here Silas says that a one trick pony coach isn't the aim (telling me that shooting coach comes down to how well the player responds to the coach that helping them shoot/though this view doesn't mean it's definitive) : https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...s-focus-areas-for-rockets-new-coaching-staff/

His long balls (3 of them) start at 1:58 here in Australia:

I don't think the back of his hand thing is quite it. I think his delivery on shots has sped up (pretty necessary in the NBA these days, but probably always was) but his rotation on his shots isn't there yet. He doesn't have that flick of the wrist Jrue Holiday yet, but I really do believe he can get there with the right coaching.

Here's some late season Tate delivery:

I think his shot mechanics have gotten faster which to me are a sign of improvement, but the next stage is rotation on the shot. I might be wrong, but most good shooters seem to have a lot of rotation on their shot and the closest big handed guard I can come up with is Jrue Holiday. The seem to have similar mechanics, but Jrue has a wrist flick that gives the ball that rotation I'd like to see. If Tate adds that, he's going to be that much better in this league:

If you watch in .25 time on youtube you can see his flick of his wrist. So to me it's not the back of the hand that's the issue. It's rotation of the ball as it goes up. A lot of that rotation is about looking at your form as you're shooting in the moment, not at the basket. The basket is in your periphery. That's muscle memory when you start hitting that shot. He's got all the skills to do that. Surely our coaches already know that. We've got great shooters and coaches all in one place.

Go ROX!

#27 don grahamleone, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

His defense is ahead of schedule, I think he will be a very good defender in a year or two. To me, if he is able to hit 3's at a good %, all his other skills become a bonus really. He has the ability to attack closeouts and make good passes on the move. He'll be the first back and the first to attack in transition. Cut out all mid range jumpers, he needs to focus on other stuff before he gets to take that shot.

I think we just need to be patient with him. He's had the least coaching of our picks, the other 3 were pro's already. Will tighten up his game in the G League this season. Maybe see him in the rotation later in the season. Wall, Gordon, KPJ, Green = there are 0 minutes available in the backcourt anyway.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol that is soooo out of context

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i shake my head at this really....its the one shot hes got going right now and it opens everything offensively for him...he may never become a legit 3pt shooter and a good midrange shooter he already is....i know you want to find him a niche to get pt but this reminds me of advices to bulk a player up to mold him into some almost outdated prototype....
    shawn livingston really won gsw couple of rings without being much of a threat from 3 but his midrange money killed rockets time and again

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Listen without dramatizing and politicizing the midrange subject, he's shooting poorly, it's only opening up the fantasy that it's opening up other shots for him. He tried, it didn't work.

Shaun Livingston was the least important member of that team we can remember. I have Klay-like hopes for Christopher, Livingston is such a low bar imo.