1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to John Wall?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2021.

?

John Wall

1. Traded

139 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Stays

134 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he is untradeable

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not as optimistic but these are facts.

sirjesse and groovemachine like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because every GM knows he’ll be injured for the year after about 20 games. Reminds me a lot of the TMac contract in the years leading up to the summer of Lebron when then his expiring became a thing of value. John Wall is not TMac by a long stretch but the Rockets are in the same predicament with him. Thank God we at lease have higher upside young talent though in these transition years than Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry both of whom I loved FYI).

Teams would trade for John Wall if he played all 82 games last year and hadn’t been injured nearly as much as he was prior. People kept on trading for Monte Ellis back in the day too because he could actually stay healthy. The Rockets traded for Ty Lawson mind you.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How many games did he play after the all-star break? My eyes tell me he was not a good facilitator last year.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is what I think of your eye test.

JK - really DGAF enough about Wall to argue this.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He wasn’t. But every other year of his career he has been. Not unreasonable to assume last year was simply due to lack of talent and using the season to rehab and find his shot again.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Success for John Wall depends on the recognition that his career has reached a stage where his strength is as a 6th man who can also provide veteran leadership.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We’ve added Green to the talent around him, that’s it. Most of his playing time was when Wood was healthy and he was called out for not sharing the ball with Wood. Wall is a ball hog and needs to be coming off the bench, where he can look to be the primary scorer. Westbrick averages double digit assists most year, but he is a complete chemistry killer, just like Wall.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Would you have said the same about Wall prior to last year? I didn’t watch any wizards games outside of those against us, but never heard about him being a ball hog. Anymore than CP3. A point guard and creator is going to have the ball more than most players to begin with — though he’s not the shooter Cp3 is. Also remember cp3 developed his 3 when he came to us. He was never a prolific shooter from distance before then.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I confess I didn’t watch Wall very often in Washington. I am basing my opinion on his play with Wood the first part of last year. My eyes told me that Wall was not looking to make his teammates better, but to try and prove that he was a superstar. He was not a superstar, he was not an all-star, and he wasn’t an above average pg. He is an oft-injured ball dominant point guard that doesn’t have a good outside shot and does not finish well at the rim. He is good in transition and can create his own shot with mediocre efficiency. His ideal role would be someone to hold the fort as a sixth man that could create his own mid-range shot and get out on the break. Any comparison to CP3 one of the greatest facilitors of all time is in-sane.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Problem is Wall is nowhere near as talented, so we basically have to hope he's an idiot for this to happen... And from what I've seen of him so far, he might be, but I doubt his agent is.

MrButtocks and hakeem94 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There is a 20% chance he can still be a #2 player

@MrButtocks we wanted to give oladipo 20 million a year . We might do 100/4 for wall

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Chris Paul was a nearly 38% career 3P shooter before he came to Houston, and shot over 41% on five attempts per game in the season right before his first as a Rocket... He actually shot worse in his first season in Houston (though on 1.5 more attempts per game), and shot well below his career average in the second season (though he was also hurt most of the year).

I'm not sure where you got your intel, but it's just not true. Chris Paul was always an incredible shooter.

clutchdabear, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're just flat out wrong with everything you just said about cp3 but not surprising

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Context matters. I didn’t compare him as a player. I compared him as a playmaker in terms of having the ball in his hands more than other players.

Oft-injured? He’s had issues, sure, but prior to his Achilles injury he played 78, 77, 79, and 82 games. Didn’t dig to see if any of those missed games were even due to injury (could have been end of season saving for playoffs).

his injuries were serious, but athletically, he didn’t lose much of a step.

I absolutely agree he was a ball hog LAST season. But does that mean he will be again this season when he hadn’t been accused of being a hog before? You’re right, he was trying to prove something and once it became clear we weren’t winning, he just put his nose down and tried to do everything himself. As I said — he used it as a rehab year once it was clear the season was over.

Small sample size with wood. New players, new system, Wood couldn’t stay healthy either.

also prior to last year, pretty sure he was known as a good finisher and a fantastic distributor.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Pure speculation, but I believe Silas starts the season with a 3 guard starting line up--Wall, Porter and Green with probably Wood and Theis. No back-to-backs for JW, with Gordon and Tate as 6-7 men off the bench. Sengun should be in the big man rotation and be first big sub. After that, its likely situationally dependent. How healthy everyone stays will play a factor in minutes, but I see Wall and Gordon playing (unless they're traded) 28-32 mins per game. Silas likes vets and he just seems like a guy that will stick with them until something forces him not to.

I may be wrong and maybe Stone will weigh in behind the scenes. However, we need them both to play well and stay healthy to maximize their trade value.

With a shooter like Green and hopefully a more consistent Porter, Wall should be able to focus more on playmaking. When he sits, Porter takes the stick and runs the team. I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but the more I contemplate it, it will likely not be as bad as we're making it out to be (Wall/Gordon getting minutes over younger players). Hopefully by the trade deadline 2-3 of Wall, Gordon and House will have found new homes.

Pat, hakeem94, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Honestly I was going off of announcers. I know they had mentioned it during his time with us and I just took it as fact. Maybe they meant that he was taking more. However I do think he significantly extended his range and was far more willing to pull up for 3 when he came to us then with NOP or clips. Thanks for the correction.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. verysimplejason

I hope he gets traded with a big who can shoot and defend.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Do you think he was a good facilitator last year? Stats don’t always tell the story. He played about half the games the two years before his Achilles injury. He has not been a significant contributor for 4 years. We will see. His contribution last year was to alienate our best player by freezing him out. I don’t care about his reasoning.

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, Wall was a blackhole last season.

But he is capable of being a top tier distributor.

He has done it in the past before Silas started slurping sweet nothings in his ear about his ISO prowess.

jch1911 likes this.