1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

DM LG Twitter with a photo and ask for a 1-time complimentary panel replacement.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2499 for a 77in LG OLED? Great price. Damn.

tinman likes this.
  3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

They had it at MicroCenter and Costco in store only but I got mine for 2699 after the 50 off coupon @ costco. I didn't feel like hunting around for a 2499. Barely missed out on it at MC but I don't think there was any units in Houston for Costco. They had open Box at BB for 2100 just recently for CX models.

Ziggy likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, my primary seating distance is about the same as yours. My previous tv that just died was a 7-year old 55" Samsun LED, and I was ok with it, tbh. Some of my seating is a lot closer to the tv, though - maybe 4-6 feet, and that's the problem, but I'm only worried about where I sit for now. lol. I may go with a 65" and I'm still debating the whole LED vs. OLED.

Is your tv wall-mounted or on a stand?

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn, you hear that silence from the QLED lovers here?
    it's like a bose nose canceling function at max.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Oddly, they say for 4k tvs, you need to sit about 6ft away from a tv that's 77". I thought that was strange, but they said so you're able to see the enhanced detail of 4k. I sometimes sit about 7-8 feet away and it doesn't seem to be too bad at all.. Just a lot more immersive I guess. Right now it's on a stand. I plan on mounting it later on, and that will probably give me a little bit more distance from the couch, but I want to do it mostly so kids can't really reach up and touch it as easily. Once you go OLED, it'll ruin your experience with other TVs. It's harder to judge with all the demos in the stores because those demos are tuned for those type of TVs. example LG LCDs you'll notice are playing a lot of snowy scenes with white in the videos. Reason being is LG TVs are mostly RGBW meaning every 4th pixel is just plain white and doesn't change color. It means you get a brighter white screen but you're actually losing detail because 25% of your pixels are just plain white.

Watching real content and is just night and day when it comes to movies on OLED. Only reason I'd get LCD over OLED is if the TV is going into a super bright room and even then I probably wouldn't. I have direct light in from the 2nd story right into where the TV is and I have no issues watching the TV in day light. I got my parents a 75" sony 900 series and I thought that was a pretty nice TV and almost settled for it, but the 77 OLED just blows it out of the water for me. It's the blacks. I just can't unsee the gray on other TVs. Some come close but then the price gap is still not that far apart. Might as well go for the top and that way you don't feel like you're leaving something on the table.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

LED = guest bedroom tv

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, the viewing sizes that are usually recommended are kind of comical. When I used to frequent AVSForum, we used to chuckle at putting 100"+ projector screens in our living rooms based off of Dolby's recommendations for an 11-foot or so viewing distance. It's like when DLP was popular and people would have DLP tv's the size of a Volkswagen in the middle of their apartments. :D At least LEDs are fairly flat so they're not as obtrusive to where the first thing anybody notices is a massive tv sitting in your room. Hanging it on a wall would probably make it even less obtrusive. The jump in price going from 65" to 77" for an OLED is nuts, though. Thanks!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, don't tell @Yung-T the brightness levels are perfectly fine with OLED. He'll SREAM AT YOU about how Samsung LEDs have 13 more nits. Lulz!

tinman and Sajan like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Infinite contrast

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm going to install some Govee led's on my LG I already have the kit. I have Philips hue all throughout my place but their LED sync kit is way way too cost-prohibitive. Anyone here that hasn't heard of Govee I recommend checking it out though.

BiGGieStuFF likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I bought it based off Rting's budget reviews. Seems like a quality TV for the price. My only console is a Switch so I'm not really pushing the limits of the TV. Finally got it mounted today and plugged in.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy
    for the apartment dwellers

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The very videos you post mention the brightness issues, even the last Samsung OLED one.

Not sure whether you actually watch the stuff you post to promote OLED.

Same with the better displaying of bright colours.

PS: And stop posting/wording like a trolling teen, it's impossible to take you seriously.

#335 Yung-T, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sony 900s have notoriously bad blacks and blooming, you should compare top QLED to OLED if you really wanna judge the black level difference.

Even calibrators say the black level difference of for example a Samsung Q9FN is only visible if you stand directly in front of the screen in a room that isn't 100% pitch black and showing specific scenes.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lolz, I just like to see your passion. It reminds me of @KingCheetah and his beloved HDDVD.

tinman and KingCheetah like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Missing U: HDDVD

Nippystix likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ziggy likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I post in this thread like once every four months while I see you and tinmac tried to keep up this war every few days all year, so I think you win the passion price.