1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you be in favor of sending troops back?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Aug 21, 2021.

?

Should we send troops back based on your political leanings?

1. Left, Send Troops Back

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Left, Take Troops out

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Middle, Send Troops Back

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Middle, Take Troops out

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  5. Right, Send Troops Back

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Right, Take Troops out

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But what about the WMD and yellow cake?

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

No way should we ever do that we need to remain in Korea, Germany, Japan etc and keep in all bases around the world. Do you not see how much influence the CCP is trying to gain? They are our enemy and sooner or later other countries will have to pick sides. Another Cold War is brewing…

ROCKSS and Deckard like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

So we can have another shitty exit in 10 years?

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is what happens when you go maverick switching from the petro dollar to the Euro.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. There is no graceful way to get out of it. This just needs to be a case of ripping the band aid off. It stings but it needs to be done and we need to move forward.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hell yeah! Surround those mofos now they are out and about not holding up as rats in caves and annihilate them. Do it right this time!

Bah...we would just f*ck it up!

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

**** no but not voting in this poll because of the false left-right dichotomy choices

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

needs a “worried about nuclear war” option.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The only reason I'm able to sleep at night is because I think the aliens* would prevent us from using those nukes.

*The aliens might actually just be us from the future or a different dimension

Ubiquitin, mdrowe00, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They mad we pulled out too fast and didn't make little bastards to run the country.

Only cuz we've been jizzing in their buttholes for the past twenty years.

DO IT RIGHT SLEEPY JOE

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We need a “shake it all about” in this hokey poll!

mdrowe00 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Your republican friends are the ones criticizing it the most.

13. MexAmercnMoose

No, we'd find a way to f*&! it up again

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Afghanistan will be stablized when every American has left.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would take 10's of thousands of troops to even begin to "stabilize" limited parts of Afghanistan. The idea is absurd, as is the thought that "the Taliban is probably not that well trained." How do you think they survived for two decades? How do you think they pulled off what they just did? It took thousands of hardened fighters led by ruthless, intelligent commanders who prepared for this a very, very long time.

No, it would entail something I am ardently against. Another enormous invasion, in my opinion. The Taliban has become the owners of what is likely a large majority of the armaments we gave the Afghan "government" over the years to fight the Taliban. Now the Taliban would use it to oppose whatever action we might take to go back in if we use force.

So we don't go back in to "stabilize" the "country." A proven impossibility. If we go back in at all, it would be in a limited way in an effort to do what we should have arranged long ago, to get all the people out that now have large targets on their collective backs that the Taliban is looking for right now. Thousands of people who worked for us and trusted us. That would be highly dangerous, if we were to do it, and would need the cooperation of the Taliban to avoid what could otherwise be a horrific number of casualties, including civilians, in my opinion.

Since I don't trust the Taliban as far as I can spit, I'm not optimistic about any of it. Also, we can't forget that it is far from simply Afghans. There are a host of other people, non-Afghans, on the ground there in different parts of the country who need to be rescued.

Not to be overlooked, and they have been by millions of Americans over the last 20 years, in my opinion, was the involvement of our NATO allies and our other non-NATO friends and allies, who all stood behind us after 9/11 and joined us in Afghanistan, spending their own "blood and treasure" having our back. That they would go back in again, except to rescue who they can manage to get out, is unlikely in the extreme. In my opinion.

I keep thinking of a quote from Game of Thrones, OP, but you aren't Jon Snow.

ROCKSS and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Afghanistan hasn't been stable for 60 years

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

No going back in force. We absolutely had to go there 20 years ago, and we did, for the large part, what we needed to.

We had no business staying around and trying to impose a democratic government upon a tribal culture.

mdrowe00 and Deckard like this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The assumption isn't wrong (they aren't that well trained), but you can't truly stamp out an insurgency. Counter insurgency doesn't work and has never worked.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Great Post...

T_Man

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Because they just want to b**** about something...

T_Man