1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our next major target should be a young/long/athletic big forward? Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If the Raptors are shopping Siakam, then no doubt OG can be had. He’s 25 and perfect for this team.

2. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Agree he would be perfect.

I've had a chat with a few Raps fans who insist that OG is untouchable (unless you know, a godfather offer comes along). They're also of the idea (something Nick Nurse said) that they will work more towards position less basketball starting with Barnes, OG and Siakam.

Take it with a grain of salt for sure. But I think OG cost most of our young core.

D-rock likes this.
  3. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I am sure he will sign an extension with Denver but MPJ is someone that would be nice to have of course having KPJ, Green, and MPJ would be amazing on offense but defense would be a lil bit of a problem.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm good with KJM.

Don't overpay for OG, when KJM might be better in short order.

Roxfan4lyfe and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

While I like the approach you described, we have to have multiple alternative paths if the Nets don't implode. They're taking the steps needed to secure their 3 stars and getting Cam in this draft was a coup for them. Basically, the aging and injury histories (Harden's started last year) of their 3 main stars is what we have to hope begins to deteriorate (tough to wish anyone bad, but they're the enemy now).

To your point, I'm torn on trading CW if we can gather some important assets and position ourselves for another Top 5 lottery selection. Last year positioned us well for a pretty solid foundation for a young core, next year could solidify that and to your point set us up for a key FA acquisition when salary is moved or comes off the books in 22 or 23.

luckyman76 likes this.
  6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

brandon clarke seems a good target..out of rotation in memphis…but he’s a 4/5 guy instead of a 3/4

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't believe it for a second, It's your classic fans not understanding the financials and progression of a rebuild.

We'd trade Wood for the right package and he has a bigger chance of being a top 3 player on a championship team. If OG was going to break out offensively, this was the season to do it.

Having said that, I would give up one good pick or one of our second tier young guys in a package for him. Christopher, reasonably protected first rounder and Gordon for OG would be sweet.

8. alethios

alethios Member

Keep an eye on Jericho Sims, he's on a two-way contract and could be available next year. Another super-athletic, defensive big, similar to Nerlens Noel, pretty limited offensively but a monster at the rim.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

What about Boucher instead of OG?

Additions of Precious and Khem Birch have pushed Boucher even further down the bench.

Raptors: Chris Boucher, SRP
    Rockets: Danuel House, Dalano Banton

pippendagimp likes this.
  10. ballgame

ballgame Member

Since the Rockets drafted Sengun and Garuba to play Center, I think the Rockets already have their Long, Athletic Forward in C. Wood.

I think we need a shooter to play the 3, House is not the answer.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

boucher just shot 38% on four 3pt attempts/gm last season

i'd love to add him to our roster

luckyman76, Xopher and D-rock like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree on this. He looked really good in Summer League. I would much rather have him training down in G-League than Kyrie Thomas or Hurt.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no need to rush the rebuild. see how tate and KJM improve. if they can't win any games then we get another top 5 pick. see how the kids do then... and so on...eventually they will have enough talent and experience to win.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  14. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

The Rockets need to work on getting rid of John Wall so they can develop this young core and play them together this season what more can they lose?? That way we all know what this team need just play the young guns , get rid of Wall and Gordon later down the line find shooters and 3 and D players

D-rock likes this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Third best player for Denver. Jamal Murray and joker being 1 and 2. Similar to okc where harden was third best

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Jaylen Brown in 2 yrs

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol you like okc would choose wb over harden?

Kd will stay and win a chip if they kept harden and traded russ for pieces

18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't think you are following me lol
    I am not choosing anyone over anyone else. I am saying we got lucky wth harden be okc chose to stick with the other 2 and didn't want to max harden
    Similar situation may occur in Denver if they choos to not mad mpj Bc they have 2 other max players. Bc of this someone like a mpj might become available for rockets of they can shed wall and Gordon's salary. Who knows maybe catch lightening in a bottle twice.

19. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Of guys that COULD be gettable for the right price - so no superstar forwards.

Tier 1:
    Jonathon Isaac
    OG Anunoby
    Michael Porter Jnr. (Least likely)

Tier 2:
    Andrew Wiggins
    Cam Reddish
    Deni Advija

Tier 3:
    Sekou Demboya
    Tyler Bey

20. mightybosstone

This thread feels premature to me. The Rockets have a ton of young players on this roster, including athletic forwards and bigs. We just don't know who is part of the team's long-term core and who isn't yet. Let's let the season play out and watch these guys develop first before we make assumptions about what the needs are.

Verbal Christ likes this.