1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] James Harden reveals why he left Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jalen Green OnlyFan, Aug 19, 2021.

?

Does this offend you as a Houstonian?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. No

139 vote(s)
    75.1%
  1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Getting better thou, I followed your advice so I can't fairly rate it... You should have posted the Tilman talking to a coherent president video and wrote a bunch of random things since nobody ever reads your posts all the way through...

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

"But the real reason I left is that I'm a selfish, entitled little b**** who doesn't want to work hard for a championship." Get outta here witht that build-my-brand bullshit. As soon as he retires, he's dust in the wind.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  4. DonatelloLimestone

you get me<3

F it...never a bad time as you know, i probably just got done wackin off to this video according to yalls perception, i'm obsessed...hot stuff:(and yes, trump actually handles this interaction well, passes the ball to Steve M who curiously tells tilman its not meant for you, tilly doesn't get it.

@Salvy knows how to wind me up, i gotta edit and add the quote

"
    TM: What would you like to see in it?

TF: I don’t know. I really haven’t counted on the government. I’m not one of the largest companies in America and I’m not one of the smallest. When it’s all over with, you can write an article [saying] that I survived and I didn’t get any help from the government."

D-rock, HP3 and Salvy like this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

There you go! that's vintage DonatelloLimestone stuff right there! 5 of 5 easy..... Why do you even post without including the video? Its the video man!

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  6. futilman

futilman Member

Wasn't Milwaukee on his list? Yeah totally great brand city

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Harden. It's all about me again.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah the brand thing is a bit played out. KD was among one of the most popular players in the NBA playing for OKC.

Giannis is the tops now in Milwaukee.

It's 2021. Every NBA team has a huge platform.

If Lebron went to OKC tomorrow OKC would have the most nationally televised games.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

EPIC

D-rock likes this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Sports has morphed into something I barely recognize from my youth. Most players weren't so involved in building their brands, but it's becoming Hollywood lite and the good Lord knows that's not my cup of joe. I'm sure their agents and corporations are pushing them as well. While I don't like it, I can't really blame them for optimizing their earnings. I don't even like talking about this s++t just makes me long for the old days.

11. Roc Paint

word

Shark44 likes this.
  12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Sticking to the thread topic:

1. Houston is lower (by a bit) on the metro statistical area GDP ranking (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP)
    2. Houston is waaaay low on the per capita GDP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP_per_capita) and income (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income) rankings

And then there are the "soft powers" of media reach, tourism, glam, etc. In any event, by those metrics, Harden is not wrong about the "market", and Houstonians clinging on to "4th largest metro/market" narrative is just deluding themselves.

Having said all that, what is Harden's brand? What's his merch? Jay-Z and Spike Lee can say New York is better for their brand. Shaq and LBJ can say LA is better for their post-basketball career. But what is Harden outside of basketball? He has no draw. Him saying X place is better than Y place for his (non-existent) brand is as ludicrous as Cadillac saying moving its HQ to NYC is better for its brand (they have since moved back to Michigan).

Net-net, unless Harden's brand/business is in the energy sector, I'm not "offended" that it's a consideration/excuse for him to leave Houston. He's delusional for thinking it makes a difference, and Houstonian offended by his delusion are themselves delusional.

13. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Who cares what Harden thinks? Great player, bad teammate, very bad professional and nonexistent as a leader. Let's talk about our players! Let's move on to the next topic…

beardsanity713 and VickMackey like this.
  14. DonatelloLimestone

agree, but think about why? the culture o us surrounding it the media pervasing these tmz sensationalist style of the game, you'd almost believe basketball is played 1-1 on how they evaluate it. Remember these guys choose the all nba teams, all star which affects contracts and endosements so the game is geared towards that. Harden was a guy for 7 years maybe to the extreme outside of lebron carried a team on his own that was entirely dependent night in and out with millions of fans watching, target on his, back on him. H

es not an elite athlete by nba standards, he is a skill player. When people were sitting out to load manage, harden was playing. when his owner began to cheap out on the margins ,taking out staff, role players which all stars know are vital,i ts obvious to everyone outside the casual fans who just look at a box score and say that guy didn't help, hell thats why coaches keep playing PJ 30 minutes plus on winning teams despite him not getting a bucket, thats why pax,kerr, fisher, horry have all hit game winners even though they arent that celebrated. So hes watching the other guys around him do elite things like him but their owneres support them, bring them players role players pay tax during their contention window, ours literally worsened the team, theres no way to argue that, from 2018 to 2019 let alone giving up players and picks to save money AND tTHEN the owner took the mike after the warriors loss and said the team needs a killer mentality he will instill

how many owners have done that to their star player, call them out, say they need to better and ignore the context that the owner wouldn't pay for the vets, role players...and even worse traded rotation players for savings, picks for savings, taht very year.

You think giannis, kd, r lebron or anyone would stay through it? Kobe is known as king of grit, when he knew lakers were just making money off of him and saving, he deamnded a trade or help and he was in the biggest market? why because you can't win the way we did things

Paul said, via Chotiner:

"'I educated [Davis] on why I thought the team wouldn't be . . . ' He paused. 'All athletes are competitive and confident, until reality sets in. And I educated him on things.'"

Paul laid out what superstars need to see from teams to give a long-term commitment.

"You either need your team in place, or you need flexibility, assets, money, and the ability to make decisions. And, more important, the willingness to pay the [luxury] tax ... This ain't 'Moneyball.'"

Paul was referring to a team either being ready to compete, having future flexibility to improve the team, and being willing to pay the so-called luxury tax for spending over the salary cap. According to Chotiner, the Pelicans were not willing to pay it at the time and thus kept their payroll below a certain level.

"There you go! that's vintage DonatelloLimestone stuff right there! 5 of 5 easy..... Why do you even post without including the video? Its the video man!" @Salvy two videos..one unrelated...don't matter..as you know, i don't post to have people read them...this is my free therapy....5 stars?

15. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Man, Harden's doing his thing, we're doing ours. I still have the good memories. It's just a different era now. And the future is exciting.

BamBam and D-rock like this.
  16. hakeemthagreat

This is yall hero, right?

17. Roc Paint

Fat boy was never my hero, even though he had a pretty damn good game

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

Why does this remind me of that meme. You know the one with the guy walking with his translator and checking out another girl

D-rock likes this.
  19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Harden has always let us down even with this little bit*h ass comment. As a Houston fan I’m not even surprised.

Lets just move on.

VickMackey likes this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The best, most consistent 2nd fiddle to James Harden-era Rockets?

Eric Gordon.

HP3, BigM and DonatelloLimestone like this.