1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Congratulations to Gov DeSantis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Gioan Baotixita

I’m not a fan of Trump just FYI.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Blasphemer.

edwardc likes this.
  3. Gioan Baotixita

Lol

4. Gioan Baotixita

I trust my doctor, he is a damn good MD. He’s the one approving for me to use the Ivermectin protocol. I’m very fortunate that I have a smart and open minded doctor, others are not so lucky.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The governor of Florida wants to kill your children.

Ron DeSantis Announces Plan to Basically Ensure Florida Schoolchildren Get COVID

Quick: You’re the governor of a state where COVID-19 is literally out of control, reportedly accounting for about 20% of all new infections in the country. As one doctor recently explained, if your state was a country, the U.S. would probably impose a travel ban on people visiting from it. Not only are things really, really bad across the board, but when it comes to children, your state currently holds the record for the most young people admitted to the hospital in the past week. Do you (a) start taking this thing seriously, by imposing public health measures known to stop the spread of the virus (b) think of the children, and follow other states in requiring masks in the fall or (c) at the very least allow individual schools to make their own decisions on the issue of masks, including letting them decide they’re necessary? If you’re Florida governor Ron DeSantis, the answer is a resounding “none of the above” and an added note to “screw the kids.”

On Monday, DeSantis’s office threatened to withhold the pay of superintendents and school board members who ignore the governor’s executive order banning mask mandates for schools. Just so it’s clear, that means if a school district looks at the (overwhelming) data and decides that it would like to protect its community—from getting sick and potentially dying—DeSantis will block them from getting paid to score political points with conservatives. Usually, school districts get in serious trouble if they’re caught putting kids in harm’s way, but in this scenario, DeSantis is threatening to punish anyone caught protecting kids (and teachers) from catching a highly contagious disease. Which, in the words of health experts, is ****ing insane, even for Florida.

The warning comes as infections in the Sunshine State have increased 51% in the past week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University; Florida reported 134,506 new COVID-19 cases from July 30 to August 5, more than any other seven-day period. Meanwhile, the delta variant has been more harmful to children than the original strain, with 4,615 Florida children hospitalized last week, Rolling Stone noted. “Our pediatricians, the nursing, the staff are exhausted, and the children are suffering, and it is absolutely devastating,” Aileen Marty, M.D., an infectious disease expert at Florida International University, told CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360 on Friday night. “Our children are very much affected. We’ve never seen numbers like this before.”

“The viral load in Florida is so high right now, there are really only two places on the planet where it’s higher—one is Louisiana and the other is Botswana,” Jonathan Reiner, M.D., a professor at the George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, told CNN on Sunday. “It’s so high in Florida that I think if Florida were another country, we would have to consider banning travel from Florida to the United States.”

DeSantis’s latest announcement comes as Florida and Texas appear to be duking it out to see who can infect more children. As my colleague Eric Lutz noted on Friday, Texas recently “released a new guidance that somehow makes DeSantis’s effort seem smart.” Under new recommendations from the Texas Education Agency, Texas schools will not be required to conduct contract tracing and will not need to let parents know if a student has tested positive for the virus. If a child is a close contact of an infected student, the new guidance says they can still go to school. To borrow Reiner’s metaphor re Florida being a country the U.S. would ban travel from, if Florida and Texas were parents, we’d all be calling social services on them.

#385 Rashmon, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    B-Bob likes this.
  6. Gioan Baotixita

I’m a parent and I believe in masks, My teenage children go to school with their masks on. However, I’m with DeSantis here, it should be left up to the parents and not the states. Enough of the government overreaching already. Love Ron for 2024.

7. adoo

adoo Member

also the poster General_03 who didn't pay off his bet

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I totally agree that it should be up to the parents....... BUT!!!!!

The School Districts and Businesses should also have the option of saying "We require Mask"..
    The same as "No Shirt, No shoes, No service"

Gool Ole Ron can't have it both ways....

T_Man

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn’t faith. This is understanding how the vaccines work, the trials they’ve been through, being aware of what the side effects are and the odds of those side effects and finally seeing the numbers of how so far the vaccines are overwhelmingly effective in preventing severe CoVID.

By nearly all accounts the vast amount of those getting severely ill with any variant of COVID are the unvaccinated.

Yes they are slow. They haven’t even given full authorization to the Current vaccines. There is scant evidence of the efficacy of Ivermectin while there are mountains of it for the vaccines. You keep on citing an anecdotal story of a family member well I can cite anecdotal story of myself and many others who have been vaccinated and not gotten the disease or even tested positive.

that’s the point of anecdotal stories.

It seems like you’re making a rationalization to justify taking ivermectin by claiming the FDA is just slow. At the moment there is little evidence that the FDA should approve Ivermectin as an effective prophylactic while they’ve already given emergency authorization for the vaccines and likely soon will give full approval.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

desantis is the state. he is the governor. dont you think the governor mandating that school districts cant make their own rules is government overreach?

i thought republicans were for local control?

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Gioan Baotixita

Good ole politicians trying to have it both ways all the time from both sides. I just feel that as a parent I still want control over my child. As far as the businesses and the school districts, that's a constitutional debate.

12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Unless of course general is again talking out of his ass

13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You know the general bragged about carry one too. I wonder if you both got one on your birthday

14. dookiester

dookiester Member

Do you think your desire to have control over your child supercedes the desire of other families and schools to be healthy (i.e. by requiring people in the middle of a pandemic to adopt the simple, noninvasive yet highly effective measure of wearing a face mask)? This is where the appeal to personal responsibility and freedom break down - an individual shouldn't have the unfettered right to endanger other people and in the midst of a pandemic, that's what refusing to mask up in public does. A mask mandate fills the gap that exists because some morons don't recognize their actions affect more than themselves and are unwilling to do their fellow human the common courtesy of wearing a simple face mask.

15. Gioan Baotixita

Like I've said, you have to put faith into some thing if you're believing in it. In this case, what you're citing is about the data, the effectiveness and the side effects of the vaccine and to you they are all peachy and rosy. Sorry but I do not trust them. They have been lying to me since day one about this virus and everything else that follows. There are plenty of cases of people that are having adverse side effects with this vaccine and the latest news that came out about the effectiveness of it and therefore the need for a booster shot.

You've said there is little evidence so that's why the FDA won't approve it. There is plenty of evidence and studies and many countries are using it to combat this virus but you won't hear about it. This one Filipino doctor that I've heard on one podcast who used to be a skeptic and now is a full convert cited over 58 studies about Ivermectin and this virus, but you won't be hearing about in the mainstream any time soon. He said he told the American healthcare professionals about this and the answer he got from them was, they've said those studies did not involved Americans so they don't count ...REALLY.

I make no rationalization and no claim about the FDA and Ivermectin. I am not holding my breath and waiting for the goofy FDA, other countries are using it and it's been helping their citizens, it is good enough for me and my doctor. I do this for myself and my family only, I do not expect anyone to follow nor make any recommendation about the protocol. You've got to do your own research and come to your own conclusion and work with your own doctor.

You said I cited the story about my cousin anecdotally, but others in here do it daily about how somebody they knew got sick because they did not get vaccinated and so on and so on. I can only tell you what happened to my cousin from personal experience. It is not entirely from that experience that I am a convert, but I've spent almost 2 months last years researching everything I could about treatments and preventions of this virus on top of the 2+ hours consult I've spent with my doctor that is monitoring me about this protocol.

Like I've said, to each his own, but I will not let anyone shaming me or bullying me and vice versa. If you believe in the vaccine and you believe the data that you cited for me, more power to you and I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. Stay healthy and safe.

#395 Gioan Baotixita, Aug 19, 2021
  16. edwardc

edwardc Member

[​IMG]

Rashmon and Gioan Baotixita like this.
  17. Gioan Baotixita

This is the good ole argument that they are trying to make to scare you into submission. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. The last time I've checked, we are still living in America, not communist China. If you are giving into the scared tactics, they've got you by your balls and for sure, you're on your way to speaking Mandarin.
    BTW- I believe in masks and my kids are wearing them to school. I have planned to pull them out of public school anyway. The oldest has a year to go so I may let him ride out his term, but the youngest got 3 more years so yeah, either private or home schooling.

#397 Gioan Baotixita, Aug 19, 2021
  18. Gioan Baotixita

Ron needs a new do to look tougher man.

19. dookiester

dookiester Member

In other words, your answer is yes you think individual freedom trumps the health of others. No surprise.

20. Gioan Baotixita

That is the false argument I'm trying to let you see. It is always about for the good of everyone but free thinkers know that it is not true, it has never been. Every totalitarian regime always using that argument at the start and then you'll be staring down the barrel of a gun in the end if you do not comply.