1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I'll say it 100x more, non95 masks do very little to stop the spread, Covid is too contagious for them to have a meaningful effect.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Explain that to Asian countries

mtbrays likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

dizzying height of willful ignorance

4. SuraGotMadHops

Maybe you're just dizzy from lack of oxygen from all that ineffectual mask wearing?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Then why do doctors and nurses wear them? If they don't work then maybe surgeons are better off just conducting surgery open air breathing out in the open?

N95 masks filter out like 95% of the microbial particles in the air. They filter out nearly all the toxins in things like paint, and chemicals. No they aren't specifically designed for Covid 19 air particles, but they are the best line of defense we have absent a air & water proof steel wall. Not wearing a mask of any sort when you know you are likely to be in an environment where Covid is airborne is an elite level of stupid.

ElPigto likes this.
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Much like the false insistence that mail-in voting is inherently unsafe (there are are multiple US states that have had safe, effective, all-mail voting for years before 2020), it's incredible that they ignore datasets of millions of people when trying to prove their point

7. SuraGotMadHops

Well I'm vaxed, so no effs given.

8. dobro1229

Again... so are doctors treating Covid patients. So why are they wearing them when they know Covid is present in the air?

I think it's silly when I see people doing things like wearing a mask in their car, but there are places where you and I know that Covid will be airborne at some level. If you go to an elementary school today in Texas.... I guarantee you that there will be some trace of the virus somewhere in the air in the building. Why the hell would you not treat the situation in the same way that a doctor would? A job has to be done (Kids need to be educated, and teachers need to be educating them) so we need people there doing the job just like a doctor would.

But that's besides the point that I bring up that you are obviously spreading misinformation on mask wearing. I don't care that you don't care, but there are people out there still looking for good information, and someone could read sentiments like what you said, and that idea becomes hard to erase out of their mind. I would respectfully ask to stop spreading disinformation please. You can comment on how you feel about masks without going there.

ElPigto likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

Why is it misinformation? Because you disagree with it? You realize there are doctors that also disagree regarding the efficacy of masks, it's not black and white like you may think it is.

10. dobro1229

It is disinformation. You are discouraging public health and safety measures.

We might find out in years that seat belts cut off circulation in your shoulder that leads to cancer. However if you come out and say Seat Belts don't work right now you are spreading dangerous disinformation if there's a chance people will listen to you and decide to stop wearing a seat belt.

Also please show me examples of credible doctors going public right now advocating for not wearing a mask in the stark terms you laid out.

11. SuraGotMadHops

Dig back in this thread a few pages, you will see it. Not just me, but other posters as well shared some research.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On surface transmission, yes. He mentions how people could infect themselves by fiddling with their masks. On asymptomatic spread, as I recall that was a concern very early on, when it was spreading in China and hadn't been detected yet in the States. I know my wife and I were talking about the futility of stopping it from coming here when it can spread asymptomatically.

That's less strict than what standard corporate rules seem to be. Seems like a lot of companies are requiring masks when you move around the office.

It is considerate of them to link to a few organizations that criticize them as disinformation - and other links that criticize their critics as disinformation. Props to them for being transparent about that.

About Us / Contact – Swiss Policy Research (swprs.org)

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

some data for consideration (NOTE: Israel has authorized booster for >50)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Something I saw today.

[​IMG]

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Important to note that that is against infection. Personally, I don't care so much about infection but prevention of serious complications. I'm find with a cold or even a mild flu.

18. Jalen Green OnlyFan

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Down to 67% efficacy when Isreal only hit the 50% fully vaccinated mark just 5 months ago is alarming, not only did protection against infection fall off a cliff, it's doing the same for protection against severe disease.

Isreal got the majority of their population vaccinated much earlier than other countries, and I think that's why you see a difference in statistics at the moment, but this is looking really grim for our future, I can't see people signing up for a vaccine every 6 months.