1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Get it out of your head. Simmons is a great defender but can't shoot. I've been arguing with LSU buddies for years that he'll never learn to to shoot. He is what he is and that isn't a future superstar that can carry a team and gets paid max money. It's going to be one of the worst contracts in the NBA this year.

There will eventually be a star ready to come to Houston and join the young guys. Give it time.

luckyman76 and Grizzlyshark like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

You do realize that Giannis put up 50 in last game of recent finals without being able to hit the broadside of the barn from beyond 12 feet right?

I'm done with the Simmons to Rockets talk, don't want him anymore, but your reasoning does not hold water.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

More trade fodder!!!

4. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I'm all for Reddish as a 4 like a poor man's Jayson Tatum.

I guess they go "positionless" when he shares the court with Collins/Hunter/Capella, it's just such a hard read on what his role is on that team.

5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thaddeus Young might be an interesting get... EGo for Young....

6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Old fart Thaddeus Young hasn’t improved his game since he’s been in the NBA.

don grahamleone and Astrodome like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah. Simmons is meaningfully better than Draymond offensively imo and Draymond was part of one of the greatest offensive teams ever.

the issue is making sure he and the team understands his role and that it’s the proper role.

there is a real issue with his free throws though. That’s why he passed up that bunny that as now defined his 76ers career lol.

it’s not like he was so bad that it should have been a problem but for whatever reason he as a bad 60% free throw shooter dropped to 35% in the playoffs.

I don’t think Doc as a coach helped. I don’t think Doc is a good coach personally but seems much of the nba disagrees.

8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Doc has a lot of built up legacy points from The Big Ticket in C’sville. And his personality. But, he needs that buy-in to achieve as he did in Boston. Never had it except there and then.

topfive likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just to ditch EGo's deal and have an expiring would be reason enough! We probably don't want Gordon playing much this season...

Only thing I can't figure out is why the Bulls would want Gordon. At the guard spots they have Lavine, Ball, Caruso, Dosunmo, Green, White, Dotson - I don't think they'd want to pay a lot of money for a guy whose offence they probably don't need, and whose defence is covered already.

D-rock likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

so only when he had Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in their primes and Ramon Rondo on the come up? Aside but Ray Allen is underrated. His last year in Seattle before being traded to Boston he put up 26,4,4. Amazing how good you can coach when you have one of the all time best trios.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I'm pretty sure Thads on the Spurs now as part of the Derozan trade.

With Patty Mills gone, a backup guard could be just what they need.

On the other note, I completely disagree about Thad. He's improved a lot, stretched his game out to the perimeter, he's still a solid inside presence and is the perfect complimentary piece on a contender.

I don't see him sitting on the Spurs for long, nor him coming here to play. If we get him it would probably just he to get off Gordons contract and I wouldn't surprised to see him be waived so he can play for a contender (most likely the Nets or Lakers but would be great on the Bucks).

jch1911 likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ah yes!!

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My only issue with Ben Simmons is the percentage of the salary cap that he takes up. Max players should be 5 tool players.

BamBam likes this.
  15. Garner

Garner Member

Thad Young was incredibly productive for the Bulls last year. Fan favorite for bringing a level of professionalism and cohesion to a struggling team.

DonatelloLimestone and jch1911 like this.
  16. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Like.. I completely get what you mean. They SHOULD yes.. but thats then saying there should be at least 30 of them in the league which can be evenly spread out amongst every team when that just simply doesn't happen.

Theres a reason someone like Gordon Hayward or Tobias Harris can make max money despite not being the top 50 players eligible to be paid that in the league.

Simmons got overpaid due to circumstance. He was believed to be their 2nd best player, and if he wasn't paid that much then the 6ers lose him for nothing. That's where the issue is.

And I may be in the minority here, but i feel like it's just as much the FO/Coaching staffs fault as it is the player for said player to not develop. Especially when they're being paid that much money.

Ok sorry.

Rant over.

DonatelloLimestone and D-rock like this.
  17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what that has to do with the debate but since you brought up the MVP Giannis, I watched the game and I recall him hitting 17 for 19 from fifteen feet. 1 for 3 from 3 point land.

For their playoff career Simmons 10-16ft is shooting a whooping .294% 16-3pt .264%
    The Greek Freak is 10-16ft .413% 16-3pt .356%

Like I said Simmons can't shoot AT ALL. He is a offensive below average player, too many turnovers for a point guard not enough play making. Personally I NEVER wanted him here and thank the basketball gods he didn't come here.

You are better than this D, must have been a rough day.

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

You might have seen me say this is in a previous message but I'll repeat myself, hopefully not misconstrued as being agitated, as I'm not.

Simmons is not the guy you want on a team in the playoffs. He creates a 5 on 4 for the defense. He can't shoot. He does other things well but when you have 1 guy who can't shoot (and has made it clear he doesn't care to learn) the defense slacks off on him and will double-team the best player on the floor causing that person to not be at their best so now you have eliminated 2 scorers from the floor. The other issue is when you have a guy who shoots as poorly from the free throw line as Simmons does the defense is going to exercise every opportunity to waste your possession with him hitting free throws. When the coach benches him and puts someone else on the court who can shoot and keep the defense honest you have now benched a Max player in crunch time and that is a poor investment to have on the squad.

Hope that helps you to understand why Morey wants him gone and why we didn't take him in the Harden trade and won't move assets for him now.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They hears him utter those words - Max Contract.

They don't want to pay him because they don't think he's as good as his stats suggest and that's mainly due to his poor defense but those stats suggest he gets that max contract.

Not many big men putting up 21/10 while shooting 37% from 3.

If he'd never have made that comment , "earn a max contract" he'd still be the cats meow round here.

DonatelloLimestone and King1 like this.
  20. DonatelloLimestone

Agreed. Doc is a classic 80s/90s player coach. He really doesnt have any sophisticated offense or philosophy, he preaches grit and energy on defense. He can bring underdogs to channel that motivation like he did in orlando with that armstrong led team, but its just like Ty Lue winning a ring or two. And now days its more and more of a players league with more iso and no reinventions on offense. not a bad coach, nothing ground breaking and I don't think he was the right coach for philly and don't know if he'd be there if htey waited to hire after morey came on board

xiki likes this.