1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Summer league 2021 game 5 thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it's hops, but also more those helicopter blades he's got for arms. He's got a 7'2" wingspan and some nice timing on those blocks.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

About what I saw in the Olympics. Does a lot of the utility work very well. Didn't expect all those assists.

Maybe he is Draymond minus the in-your-face-isms?

OK, OK, too soon.........but that's a nice stat line.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Honestly, that stat line surprised me. It was one of those quiet stat games where you look up and realize "damn, he did that?" I noticed his defense was pretty stout on a few plays and he was going after blocks from the side a lot. He's active for sure.

D-rock and ROXTXIA like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s got that too, but his head was way up there on the block.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I really believe after a year of him adjusting to the speed, athleticism and mental aspect of NBA basketball he will be a monster defensively and a guy that just helps you win the close games.

Drift Monkey, j@amc and D-rock like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For Summer League:

Game 1: 1-5 FG, 0-2 3pt, 6 reb, 2assists, 0 TOs, 0 overall
    Game 2: 3-5 FG, 3-5 3pt, 3 reb, 2 assists, 2 TOs, +17 overall
    Game 3: 2-7 FG, 1-6 3pt, 1 reb, 2 assists, 6 TOs, -11 overall
    Game 4: 6-12 FG, 5-11 3pt, 7 reb, 0 assists, 0 TOs, -1 overall
    Game 5: 1-7 FG, 1-6 3pt, 5 reb, 2 assists, 2 TOs, -2 overall

Based on the five games, I'm assuming he's....a 3 point....marksman of sorts? Ignorant questions abound because I didn't watch the Rockets at all last season. Seems like if this guy can't hit 3s....he'll keep on shooting until time is up.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I swear, in the Olympics, just like that. He was disruptive defensively, hustled.
    You don't entirely realize what he's done until late in the game when you go, "Hunh."

Drift Monkey, j@amc, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think they used him as an under-sized forward who can shoot 3's. The problem is he's like some kind of a tweener without a ton of athleticism that doesn't excel at anything except maybe the 3-ball when he's hot. He just works hard for whatever he gets. Long-term, I'm not sure he's going to factor into a successful Rockets team unless it's deeeeep on the bench.

steddinotayto likes this.
  9. juanming

juanming Member

Looks like I judged usman too early after two Summer League games

He doesn't suck

I digress

(Still dont like Josh though lol)

kiwirocketsfan likes this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

That sucks I did it in the middle of the game

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Without a real team defense Garuba was looking exposed sometimes. Imagine this guy with quality NBA talent backing him up on defense.

ROCK3TM4N, Drift Monkey, BigM and 2 others like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

JC had a more measured game today.. it looked like he was working on calming down.

13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Garuba worried me the 1st game or two because he didn't look as quick or athletic as I remembered from his scouting tapes.
    I now think he will be fine though.
    He just needed to adjust to the speed of the NBA game and the extra hops the players here have.

Someone needs to stand in front of him at free throw practice holding up a broom though!
    He's got a nice stroke, it's just waaay too flat.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, every so often on highlights from overseas and also in this game, I get surprised when he brings the ball up the court quickly. I think, "wel, I guess he can do that if necessary, too". He does seem like a guy that can do a lot of things except take over the game scoring. lol. I hope it all translates well against NBA talent.

On his blocks, I notice he either lets guys go by him a bit and blocks them from the side or he's just getting blown by and he still has the reach/enough athleticism to block the shot -- not sure which.

quikkag, Rocket_ph and D-rock like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree; he's not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things but I hoped there was a skill (intangible or not) that Lamb has making him worthy of a roster spot. Looking up his stats from last year he shot 32% from three in the 24 games he played....that's not good.

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Garuba was also +14!

Anderson with 4 blocks and 19 pts in only 22 mins.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lamb is useless when the 3's are not falling.

18. anchel

anchel Member

I doubt he develops NBA range 3s in the short term, still will be a very valuable player. As you've seen today, he has a high basket IQ at both sides, knows his current limitations and reads well different situations. He's been extremely well coached these years. He will look for the pass. We could still use him more often above the rim, he can be a lob threat.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Armoni Brooks balled out. Still a fan of what he showed last season when he got significant minutes. He will make a solid end of the bench shooter for us.