1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

25 years ago today, ClutchFans was born

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 7, 2021.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Have enjoyed this site immensely for the majority of my life. Really proud of what Dave has achieved. Here's to 25 more years!

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

19 strong for me wow.

it’s been fun guys hope we have another great 25 years together cheering on the Rockets.

I’m excited about these young guys and this true rebuild.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I joined the forum when it was needed to view posts. Before then I was a kid who just started high school so I figured my opinion was limited and felt wasnt right for me to post. I would read the site a lot more and read over the posts it was one of the few ways to get Rockets info when living out in SoCal at the time. Of course the internet in generally was in its infancy at the time so its not like now where literal kids just post nonsense whenever and wherever.

I dont post nearly as much anymore mainly because a lot has changed over the last several years in my personal life that doesnt allow me as much time to spend on the forum. I still primarily lurk again now though.

I am really happy for the long term success and recognition Clutch has gotten for his work and efforts.

This site has had a profound impact on my life no doubt. Besides helping me connect with other Rockets fans (which was not easily possible living in Los Angeles early on) I have made other friends throughout the years thanks to this mutual connection. I remember the most random thing was actually at a grocery store in LA where a guy saw me wearing Rockets gear (he was a Rockets fan - parents originally from Houston) and asked me if I knew of this site and I said yeah and told him my username and he recognized it immediately. This was about 10 years ago when the site was still a teenager and its just gotten bigger and better since.

Here is to another 25 years of fandom and I am hoping that the Rockets are able to get another championship by the time we celebrate that anniversary.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Thanks for this Clutch. Been an obsessive visitor since my freshman year of college. I'm turning 40 later this month.

5. macan

macan Member

thx for making such an amazing forum!

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This site started the year I met my wife. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't want to risk it. So I will continue posting for the sake of my marriage.

Fun fact, my wife has a account on this site which she used to ask questions about what to buy me thats rockets related.

7. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

That is awesome. Well if she can read this, I hope she gets you an autographed jersey of our tank commander Wall

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

No. Go f your 15 yo self disparaging the actual GOAT.

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch! Appreciate everything you do here. I moved away from Houston, but this site helps me stay in touch with Houston Sports.

10. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Oh boy, this clutchcity.net screenshot brings me back memories.
    I was just a kid when I first found this site.
    It took me some years to finally register my account back in 2003, but I was here long before that.

This is my CF.net story:

I live in Brazil, we had very few games broadcasted back then.
    So, I always looked up in the internet about info on the Rockets, how the games went (no highlight videos back then lol).
    And one day I found this Clutchcity.net in the web. I found it awesome, but the most awesome thing about it, it was the mIRC play-by-play that @Dr of Dunk and Rockets2k did back then (there were others, but my memory....)
    Yeah guys, for the babies here, there were guys TYPING what they saw on TV so people like me could "watch" it.

Imagine a 12-yo kid late in the night (because BR time zone +4 to Texas), READING and getting excited with the game.
    Boy, this even helped my with my English... I took only some poor classes in school as a kid. When I looked for a proper English school back then, they were all surprised with my reading. lol

Anyway, thank you @Clutch for being the foundation of all this

#130 hajkov, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    D-rock, Vik, blazinhtown and 7 others like this.
  11. rockbox

Yep, I used to be on the IRC. I remember watching it on a Directv Tivo which had a 5-10 second lag so I was always a little behind everyone typing what was going on .

Invisible Fan, D-rock, hajkov and 2 others like this.
  12. blazinhtown

blazinhtown Member

:eek: I can't believe I've been mostly lurking for 19 years

Congrats on 25, here's to 25 more!!

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Easily my favorite / most frequented website!

D-rock, Invisible Fan, hajkov and 2 others like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I started visiting around 96-97 when I moved out of Houston. Thank you @Clutch for everything you do to keep this special place alive!

rockbox, D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Thanks for bumping this thread. I was on vacation when Clutch posted it and am just seeing it. Can't let this anniversary go by without thanking Clutch for all his devotion and work over the years.

Also, in case nobody has mentioned it yet, I have to make sure the thread includes the words "Marvin's Rockets page."

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Thanks to Yao for helping me find this site.

@Clutch, you are a Godsend to all Rockets fans for creating this mecca. I salute you.

AroundTheWorld, Easy and D-rock like this.
  17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I’ll remember…

18. rockbox

The articles written by Clutch's alter ego Mario Elie were pretty awesome also.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Same here. I was skeptical about drafting Yao, thought he was another giant stiff. Search the internet for any inform about Yao and found this site.

I remember the first thread I read was Dr of Dunk's take on the summer league that year. And I was instantly hooked.

Hard to believe this site has been in existence for a quarter of a century. In 1996, people were debating over Netscape or IE; AOL, Prodigal, or CompuServe.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. koopa

koopa Member