1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

What's the ceiling and floor for Carlos Espinosa?

2. Buck Turgidson

Magic 8 Ball says "Ask again later"

Also, I'd like to commend you on the avatar change, your last one was slightly terrifying

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The default floor for any international signee is "never gets out of the complex leagues"

4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I don't know. When I watched the Livan Hernandez 30 for 30, one of the final straws that made him defect is that he couldn't take the hotel soap after they traveled for a tournament. I found that fascinating.

5. prospecthugger

I wonder if Espinosa was a result of not going over the luxury tax. By my count, Baez, Hernandez and Espinosa come to about $2.5 million, which is just under half their pool. I don't think Prieto has a deal yet. The only other name I remember seeing was Leosdani Molina, who already signed and is in the DSL, though I haven't been very tuned in this year.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Spencer Arrighetti, Rhett Kouba, and Nic Swanson all made their pro debuts in the FCL today:

Arrighetti: 3 IP, 2 H, 5 K
    Kouba: 3 IP, H, BB, 5 K
    Swanson: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K

Jeremy Peña went 2-3 as the DH and Freddy Guilamo hit his 2nd homer of the season as the FCL squad won 4-0. Ryan Eades pitched the 1st inning and allowed a hit and a walk while striking out the side.

Snake Diggit and Htown Legend like this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is a crazy way of doing business. Announce what you are going to do before the date you can do it and expect things to go smoothly. It's almost as bad as those verbal commitments to sign if drafted that don't work out.

You should be able to make a contract for the protection of both parties.

That is all.

8. htownbball

htownbball Member

Cody Deason moved up to High A, hoping he can be someone to look at next year.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t have an answer for you concerning this specific class. However, as I said when Click got the job, on the international market he is HUGE on go big or go home. I wouldn’t be shocked at all for him to spend almost the entire budget on a handful of guys and then sign a bunch of third tier guys. I know from someone at MMP Click has discussed spending the entire budget on a single player if you feel strongly enough about it. For as conservative and measured as he can be, he isn’t on the foreign kids.

10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

This Spencer guy sounds like a pasta. I expect great things from him.

Nook likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far Astros 2021 draft period pitcher signees have 66 k and 16 bb in the complex league. Good start.

prospecthugger likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alex Santos vs. Myrtle Beach: 4.2 IP, 5 H, ER, 8 K

Fayetteville leads 6-1 in the 6th.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Some transactions...

Released

LHP Whit Drennan
    RHP Dan Procopio
    RHP Jervic Chavez
    RHP Bryan Solano
    RHP Cesar Rosado
    RHP Francis Martes

Drennan was a 29th-round pick in 2019 out of Rollins College, a Division II school in Florida. Procopio was signed in May after the Angels released him. Both of them were with Fayetteville.

Chavez was 24 and in the FCL. Solano, a native of Costa Rica, was 23 and in the FCL. Rosado did well at the lower levels, but couldn't rein in his walk rate as he moved up. He was with Corpus at the time of his release. Francis Martes... I'm sure most of us have heard of him.

Added to a roster

Ian Foggo, Spencer Arrighetti, Rhett Kouba, and Nic Swanson were added to the FCL roster. The latter three all appeared in today's game.

Fayetteville-FCL

RHP Jayson Schroeder was sent to the FCL. In 17 appearances (9 starts) with Fayetteville, the former 2nd-rounder showed non-existent command and control as he went 2-2 with a 9.06 ERA. In 48.2 innings, he walked 65, struck out 50, hit 10 batters, and threw 19 wild pitches (sounds harsh but also sounds about right).

RHPs Chayce McDermott and Aaron Brown were both moved up to Fayetteville, as was C Miguel Palma. Palma hit under .200 in 20 games (66 PA) in Palm Beach but he also had a .409 OBP (thanks to 17 BB against 11 strikeouts) and a .435 slugging percentage. I imagine Palma is auditioning for an Opening Day spot with Fayetteville in 2022.

Fayetteville-Asheville

In addition to Yainer Diaz going west, Cody Deason is also going to Asheville. Deason didn't make his season debut until July 23 so this year was a wash for him. He'll likely try to get some innings in winter ball.

Corpus-Asheville

C Alex Holderbach moved up to Corpus. Career-high 10 homers, but with a sub-.700 OPS in Lancaster East... he's just a guy.

#1533 tellitlikeitis, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What a fall for Martes. Still just 25, was one of the top 5 pitching prospects in all of baseball at his peak.

Will be good to see what Palma can do in full season ball. Palma, Martinez, and Gonzalez being in A ball is aggressive for them so if they excel next season it’ll be a great sign.

Schroeder might get one more chance next season but it ain’t lookin good.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All your Cubans are belong to us

18. Buck Turgidson

Awesome. That's one of the few ethnicities that Houston does not have a huge population of (I could be wrong, but I never noticed it back in the day)

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

MiLB transactions has Angel Macuare, Enmanuel Valdez, and R.J. Freure heading to Corpus.

Scott Manea and Korey Lee were placed on the IL, while Ross Adolph was placed on the temporarily inactive list.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sets Macuare up for a big opportunity next season. He’s only 21 and factoring in the mess of last season, he’s ahead of the curve. He’s an underrated prospect.

I’m not all that high on Valdez but if he can show something close to the power he did in High A, he’ll be on the map as potential 2B/3B bench bat.

prospecthugger likes this.