1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expectations/predictions of our Record Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 16, 2021.

?

Rockets 21-22 Record

1. under 20 wins

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 20-33 wins

108 vote(s)
    80.6%
  3. well make the play-in

11 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. well make the playoffs

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Well win the title/make the finals(Woo! Ric Flair)

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. dmoneybangbang

As I predicted elsewhere, we will move one or two of Wall, EGO, and Wood by the mid season trade deadline in order to tank. Maybe hard to get those top odds since I predict we'll be average for at least half the season.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol at you thinking this team and John Wall is a good enough player to take us to the playoffs.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I feel pretty much the same way , I don't think they'll be "tanking" intentionally but they will tank organically .... they are so young ,
    They have 6 players that are 21 or younger ....and most of them are going to be getting minutes.

That's a recipe for a low win total. They should be in the top 3 .... and hope they pick in the top two again.

This draft coming up really fits the Rockets needs with 8 of the top 10 current prospects being 6'10" or taller.
    Imagine one of Chet Holmgrem , Paolo Banchero , Jalen Duren , Yannick Nzosa or Patrick Baldwin along side Wood & Sengun.
    You can legit play Holmgren , Banchero or Baldwin at the 3 spot.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . . I put the playoffs
    While I think this team will be good
    I also think several other teams will suck

Utah Jazz
    Phoenix Suns
    Denver Nuggets
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Dallas Mavericks
    ---Portland Trail Blazers
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ---Memphis Grizzlies

I think we can take one of these spots.

Rocket River

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Just saying he would look good in a rockets uni..

Tfor3 and Joe Rocket like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Please accept a tip jar bet for this. None of these teams will be struggling to win 25 games. Most will literally double it at least

DonatelloLimestone and Corrosion like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I would have to see a game first and how SIlas is using them. If we start Tate at the 4 we could easily be a lottery team again. If its Theis and Wood together with Kpj, Green and Wall we could make the play in.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

35 - 40 wins is a real possibility.

The Center position defensively was so Flawed last year.

Rebounding, Shot Blocking, Big Body to move Centers out of the way for a rebound.

Alperen Sengun and Daniel Theis, DJ Wilson are very important.

KJ Martin Jr, Jaesean Tate, Usman Garuba defense on the perimeter, Shot Blocking will be huge.

Rebounding wins games.

Christian Wood - adding another rebounder around the free throw line is huge. Christian is going to play the perimeter more, help out in longer rebounds.

Eric Gordon scoring off the bench.

The Rockets had a lot of close Games, due to Terrible Rebounding, Layup allowed, lack of health.

Plus having many scorers and Defenders will help.

John Wall needs to step up as defender, Assist Man. Shooting should be his priority.

Eric Gordon just stay healthy and score points.

Danuel House stay healthy and get traded.

#28 rockets1995, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  9. DonatelloLimestone

think theres a small chance at the play in. A lot of it is how much will wood adjust. it was his first year as 'the man' i think he showed he deserves more rope and he knows what it will take now, so if he makes a big leap as does kpj we may jut somehow underdog our way in.
    Most likely well be young and inconsistent, have our nights and flashes of brilliance of talent to come, but still end up in lottery.
    And thats not a bad thing, the next batch of top 3 look incredible, we have our pick unrpotected and after that wall and eg can be gone and we can launch into somewhere special

don grahamleone and Joe Rocket like this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well its easy to see 3 more wins than last year. so that gets us into the 20-33 range. but that range is too big. I wonder what the poll results would be if it were:

20-24
    25-29
    30-34
    35-39
    40+

my guess is 25-29 wins. another top 6 pick. I think Orlando and OKC will be by far the worst teams. we'll be in the next 4 (Detroit, Cleveland, Houston SAS). there is an outside chance if the rockets exceed expectations, and the wolves and grizzlies are both worse than expected, that we end up in the play-in games.

DonatelloLimestone and Corrosion like this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

Portland only if they blow it up, but even on autoplot htey are a playoff team.

Memphis is on the come up. They've been the 8th seed or play in last couple years while beng very, very young. Their a few years ahead of us with great draft picks but developed with expereince

Then to add to that, warrior are getting klay back. wiseman with one extra year, if they stay healthy it will be hard to pass them

Spurs finally rebuildlng? I keep saying that, they keep proving me wrong, but i suppose its fair to get them out

Pelicans have the star or two, but i think they took a major step back this offseason and are en route to losing zion just like AD.

Twolves and Kings are wildcards. they both have some young special pieces, I'd imagine minnessota has a better fit to take another step, but thye both typicall suck

us and thunder are the more obvious young, rebuilding team. We got nice pieces, but the are under 21 and learning the ways of the nba. I expect flashes of brilliance and grit, but overall the competition in the nba above is just too high. one way or another, this season is more enjoyable than last rebuild with our direction

12. DonatelloLimestone

A lot of wishful thinking for people who don't have a track record of ajusting...john wall finally focusing on his shooting at 32?

And hilarious expectations for Daniel House on here...stay healthy and get traded. Probalbly same for EG.

Dj wilson going to contibute this year? Sengung on defense?

We'll be a very young team, show flashes of talent, maybe go on a streak or two, ultimatley the talent and experience is not on our side and that my just work great bc we get a good draft next year...

only issue is @Nook, @Corrosion you broke down Holgrems game really well....now what about this french kid who did him up in the u19s and is coming out for 23? Is he that much better than Holgrem, how do you see him panning out. Or anyone familiar with next years draft, is the star hope 3 deep like this year, 5 deep, whats the deal?

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It all depends where Kevin Porter Jr's head is at. If he's focused on winning we're a hard team to beat. If jalen green can stay healthy we have a very strong 3 headed monster with Wall and Ego still on our roster. I don't see us getting past the first round but I think we can make the playoffs. It's on KPJ at this point.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. StevieCrossover

I vote top 3 pick for 2022. Tank again and then 2023 be in the playoffs.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , I'd like to see those poll numbers too ....

Last years 17 wins was a .2361 winning percentage.

To reach that this year its 19.4 (.2365) wins which I believe they will eclipse.

20 wins .s .244 (.2439)

I can't see them approaching .300 which is anything above 24 (.292) wins. That's statistically a 6 win improvement which is a fairly large jump by NBA standards & while they are definitely more talented they are lacking in experience - Young teams are a recipe for a low win total.

I'm looking at the 22/23 & 23/24 seasons to make large improvements in win totals - this years rookies 2nd & 3rd years.

And honestly that might be the best thing for the long term health of the franchise - it coincides with Wall coming off the books and making a decision on Wood , Tate & KPj as well as having an early pick in a draft loaded with versatile big men in 2022.

They could be loaded for bear in 23/24 and beyond if things go right - particularly:

1) this years draft class lives up to the hype.
    2) KPj and Wood turn out to be franchise cornerstones.
    3) they are able to move Wall's contract & other assets (Not the 22 pick) at the 22/23 deadline for a stud.
    4) they land a top 3 pick in 2022 and that player lives up to his draft status.

In 23/24 they are fighting for the 8 seed.
    In 24/25 they win 50+ and are a serious contender for the next several years (assuming Tilman is willing to spend to keep the team together).

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

People are expecting a lot of improvement out of Porter. On the defensive end he was atrocious last year.

17. DonatelloLimestone

I like the way you put the poll better as well, it doesnt let me change it and this is only 2 pages so feel free to make one like that and just move the conversation there. that said, I'd be somewhere in the top 2 of your list.

18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I do think people are underestimating the team. I don’t like benchmarking to last year - the Rockets had truly historic discontinuity last year between injuries and trades, and closed the year with a g-league team.

While obviously Wall and Gordon especially are injury risks again, I don’t expect anything like last year to recur - it literally was one of the most extreme seasons ever.

In addition, I think the new pieces fit quite well - Theis and Sengun especially will contribute immediately in productive ways. Green likely will as well, though he is more raw. And Wall, Gordon, House and Wood are all legit players that shouldn’t be on a 25-win team and essentially missed the second half of last year.

Defense will continue to be an issue, but again some of the new pieces and general continuity will help (esp if Wall and Gordon play real minutes).

Until the vets are traded, I expect a 35-40 win pace. After / if they are traded, it will drop to 30 or so. So, I’m calling 32-35 wins and if forced, I would bet the high end.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This will be an interesting topic to revisit at seasons end .....

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

If all healthy then Wall/Wood/Gordon will play to win and may at least make it to play-in. Green/Sengun are quite competitive too. If Rockets trade Wall/Gordon then I suspect Rockets are trying to miss the playoffs and use their draft picks for something. There is so much uncertainty with what role is expected out of Wall and Gordon. I personally like the young/veteran mix.

rockets1995 likes this.