1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Hack so far: 100 million T mobile customers personal data including social and DL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Aug 16, 2021.

?

T-Mobile must

1. Pay up

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Not give in

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We’ve been screwed since the Equifax hack.

ryan_98 likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never got a dime from either Equifax or Yahoo’s breach’s.

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Why would a cell phone company have your SSN?

5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Cell phone companies often do a soft credit check when a customer does equipment installment payment plan on a phone.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There is no real standard for security in the world of tech and bad practices are rampant, from personal experience. There are things like SOC-2 compliance, but its not mandatory and for most companies that started from founder-led startups where the founder has little traditional CS or development experience (surprisingly a lot) the only thing on their mind is ROI. If things are NOT built from the ground up to certain standards then its impossible for companies to focus on it vs. chasing whatever has an actual ROI.

Don't want to name names, but we had a personal audit on how long it would take to get us to SOC-2 compliance. About one to two years and its since been ditched.

Also, for most places while they let you deactivate your account, etc. the data still lives in a data warehouse or archives somewhere. Never gets scrubbed -- its there forever.

Finance and healthcare do have a lot of additional requirements, but we've seen breaches there too. So while big companies are losing data like this periodically, its probably happening a lot more frequently (and quietly) for mid and small size companies.

Rocket River and Nook like this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Verizon and ATT do hard pulls as im sure TMobile. They are not soft.

I will cavet and say this may have changed over the last couple years. If you give your SSN, expect a hard pull. They always lie.

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Good to know. Thanks!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it maybe time to stop giving away so much information
    cause they are not good custodians of our information these days

Rocket River

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most definitely.

Seriously. . .. If a company is making 10 million a year
    They probably not going to invest 2 million in protecting customer data
    even if it is a one time investment . . .

Give up 20% profit for something that is not profit producing?????
    nnnaaah . .. it'll be fine

Rocket River

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

When I met my now wife she had applied to be a travel dentist for the military. There was a hack and they got all of her information from the government. Since then almost every year someone tries to file her taxes. We stopped getting mail a couple times and post office said someone requested for them to hold it. It is a pain to deal with.

tinman likes this.
  12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Haven't tried with the phone companies, but always worth asking for other options. If they'll take a deposit or something else I'll normally go that route. Last time I switched energy providers they wanted my social. There's no way they need that, go ahead and hold some money until next year when I move to the next company I've never heard of before.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not realistic to put the burden on hundreds of millions of individual consumers to protect themselves. We need laws that require businesses to protect their customers' data privacy and pay the price of their failures. If they have a business model that can't sustain that level of responsibility, don't the door hit you on the way out.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

True but the regulations have to have teeth
    We need a Corporate DEATH PENALTY
    where the government can shut down a business for gross negligence and incompetence

Rocket River

tinman likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . ID Theft and the like needs far more punishment than they get
    If caught . .. Chop off their f*cking fingers

Rocket River

tinman likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

True but you don’t want 100 million people without cell phone service

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I remember after BP's Deepwater Horizon disaster, I wanted a corporate death penalty. They screwed up so bad and caused so much damage, I wanted to be able to revoke their license to exist. Thinking back a decade later, I honestly still like the idea. I still hold a grudge against BP and wish we could have forced them into annihilation.

But, (having some work experience in industry regulation) I can already hear the howls of the lobbyists. And some good counter-arguments. But, we needn't let perfect be the enemy of good, as my father would say. Stronger regulation over our data privacy and security would still be good even if we don't manage to make it as strong as it needs to be. The EU has a stronger regimen; it's not perfect by any means, but we could follow in that direction. We need something, because consumers are left feeling like they're left open for the pickings.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

These companies shouldn't ever store your sensitive data. After the credit check, discard it immediately. Make it a huge penalty for not complying and a bigger penalty for breach.

arkoe and ryan_98 like this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Killing a corporation only hurts the share holders and allows the incompetent executives to simply recreate a new company to rinse and repeat.

Level C management and board members need to be held responsible.

But in America, we like to hold clown shows with all politicans as the jesters while corporate american leadership plunders americans wealth.

tinman likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

yup they didn't shut down Boeing after those planes went down
    because nobody wants to shut down air travel