1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Problems in the Middle East go back well before the USA and the UK. The USA, UK and Russia all deserve criticism for the handling of the region. I have no issue with criticism of the USA and their policy in the region. However, it is extremely simplistic to think that the actions of the USA are why the region is the way it is. It does a disservice to all the people in that region and that have been in that region and it is looking at it through the eyes of a liberal in the West and not through the reality of the region.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We can't hide this giant disaster, and I feel no President made the withdrawal because this was the fear.

The "trained Afghan solders" folded when facing the Taliban without us to back them up. They don't have the fervor of the other side.

Nook likes this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just wanted to add some balance which now you are doing.

Nook likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

I read The Return of A King by William Dalrymple which is a 400+ work which explores the first British invasion of Afghanistan in 1839. The work drew parallels to todays crisis and also explained the history of the country to a certain extent.

I'm sure you're much more qualified to discuss the history/culture/political make up and landscape of Afghanistan though, for whatever reasons.

Turns out the country has been ruled by brutal, repressive, pedo-ass **** bags for a long ass time.

5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Also there isn't a uniform culture in the area and the idea of nationhood means absolutely nothing to the overwhelming majority of people that live in those arbitrary borders.

The culture isn't inferior, nor are the people..... the region has been raped.

joshuaao, ROXTXIA and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Fair enough, I appreciate it.

Also to be clear, the policy of the USA (and the West) in the Middle East has been a disaster.... I just don't want people to believe that it was Eden prior to US involvement.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So a country that has been invaded by foreign powers since 1839 hasn't manifested a culture you accept.

Shocking.

Almost 200 years of foreign invasions and you are shocked that the region didn't develop a strong national identity and is now a tribal region with no national identity?

If you want to use superior knowledge of the region based on reading a book, then you should probably provide some quotations or paraphrased excerpts that back your conclusion rather than merely saying "I read a book". Explain HOW the book you read made you form a opinion that Afghan culture inherently is inferior rather than a result of conditions experienced.

#227 fchowd0311, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. fchowd0311

If the group on top experienced the same socioeconomic conditions and instability as the group on the bottom, they would essentially be the same people.

Taliban even got anti-vax rhetoric going for them.

Roomba, pirc1 and Nook like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, you're right, they deserve a free pass to be some of the most brutal, repressive, ass backwards, pedophiliac people on earth because they've faced some invasions.

That's a good excuse.

Amazing how the Polish aren't ruled by a bunch of louzy **** bags too.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The US needs to learn that invading a country and attempting to assist them with money and resources and setting up a government doesn’t work. As soon as you leave it comes crashing down. Cuba, Vietnam, Afghanistan, etc.

I understand it’s a humanitarian crisis and horrible things are happening to innocent people and you want to help. Or you feel like you got sucked into the conflict ala Gulf of Tonkin, Bay of Pigs, 9/11.

Point is you either go in and annex these countries and make them a legal territory of the US with a permanent presence or stay the F out of it. This half assed **** just wastes money and lives for no lasting benefit.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? This isn't my fight but I don't think anyone is saying that the Afghan people or culture (I don't like that term especially in the ME because the area is largely made up of a number of vastly different cultures) are wonderful or perfect.... they are the same as people anywhere else in the world. The region has just had a lot of death and rape and destruction from all directions.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Poland didn't experience a constant steady barrage of invasions from foreign powers for nearly 200 years.

And Poland is a rather bad example when providing context of the quality of life in other European nations. Most Polish people who seek high skilled professions like engineering and science fields migrate to other countries like Germany because those jobs barely exist in Poland.

subtomic likes this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Kid? First you give me death threats, now you are following me to provoke. Looks like I have myself a personal stalker. You have major issues. Get a life or go choke on a dick...

15. Major

Major Member

Germany and Japan would disagree. One of the big mistakes we routinely make is learning the wrong lessons and and making blanket generalizations as a result. Cuba, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Germany, and Japan are all unique places. What works in one doesn't necessarily work in another. When we take the 'lessons' from one conflict and try to apply them to a totally different one, it's likely to fail for obvious reasons.

Afghanistan doesn't show us that trying to help establish another country's government doesn't work. It shows us that it didn't (and given the 20 year timeframe, likely can't ever) work in Afghanistan. What we learn from that about how well it would or wouldn't work in Country X should largely be based on the details of Country X and circumstances of that conflict rather than "it shows it never works."

16. Nook

Nook Member

Did you just tell a veteran to go choke on a dick?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Damn. I don't recall giving you death threats. You should report that if you did. That's serious and should be reported.

And if you referring to me "following you" as in I was reading this thread chain over a subject I'm interested in and read your comment in the process I guess I was "following" you then.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The execution was so awful that all that's left for Biden and his supporters is to claim it was someone else's execution. This pathetic excuse would never fly with most Americans which is why Psaki and Biden are hiding until they figure out some other bullshit they can claim.

#238 tallanvor, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  19. HTM

HTM Member

Of course, the people of Afghanistan aren't "naturally inferior" or anything. They are simply people who are making horrific choices. We see that throughout the world. Some folks do the right thing and some folks do the wrong thing. We condemn those who make the bad decisions and we laud those who make the good ones.

Afghanistans history isn't an excuse for the abhorrent conduct of many of it's people today. Many people in Afghanistan are fully on board with the principals of human rights and human dignity.

Afghanistan is full of people making choices every day deciding how to conduct themselves. Unfortunately, all too many choose to murder, rape, commit sex crimes against children, choose selfish actions, choose corrupt actions and forsake real willingness to be altruistic/come together to form a system of governance that would provide human rights and dignity to the people of the area.

They are physically and mentally capable of doing it, they choose not to.

They are assholes.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Respectfully disagree to compare Japan and Germany to Cuba, Vietnam, and Afghanistan. Japan and Germany were sophisticated world powers while the latter three were third world countries.

Most importantly there was a legitimate war with Germany and Japan which we had to get involved.

My assertion was a blanket I understand that so let me rephrase don’t get involved trying to set up governments in third world countries unless you intend to annex it and run the government yourself.