1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Sengun be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Best comparasion for Sengun

1. Jokic

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Plumlee

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Nurkic

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sabonis

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. KAT

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Role player/Starter

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. other: post

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun's BB IQ impresses me the most of all his skills.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Obviously everything is a projection at this point.. it’s easy to get too excited about summer league…. But… I think it makes sense to get as excited about a Sengun as possible.

do I think he’ll be as good as Jokic, the reigning MVP? Well that’s be insane to say that. But then… Jokic was nothing special his rookie summer league or even rookie year. Very solid but nothing crazy yet.

To say Sengun is young is almost an understatement. Kid JUST turned 19. He’s 4 months younger than Jalen. Jokic, btw, 20 his rookie year not 19. Kid might still be growing and if not taller his body and frame and athleticism will continue to fill out the next few years.

Defense? I get nitpicking. Yes he’s going to be laterally slow for a bit or forever. But otherwise he’s been nothing short of amazing defensively. Impeccable timing. Know when to block, how to block. When to try and steal. Boxes out always. Understands team schemes. Etc. he’s legit been a rim protector when he’s in there.

he’s a 3 point shot and slightly better handle away from being a Jokic that can also d the f up. I don’t think he’s played anywhere close to his best offensively yet. Nobody knows how to move off him great yet… so we’ve only caught glimpses of his passing. And he’s missed too many bunnies that you can kind of tell are going to start finding their way in.

id in no way be surprised if this kid one day is getting MVP votes. Maybe he’s never an all star. Who knows. One can’t say for sure but you can say hey it’s definitely possible. Whereas Josh a Christopher is never getting MVP votes. Or KJ Martin etc.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

please tell me you’re “over” Mobley lol. Don’t get me wrong I’m still rooting for the kid and he can still be special. But please tell me you’re at least all aboard the Green/Sengun train for the time being?!?

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I found another skilled big to root for.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His lack of hops and lateral quickness is the biggest problem for him. This can't change.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you lost me at Christopher

7. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. omgTHEpotential

I agree. There's really never a perfect comparison, but Sabonis is a decent one. I'd say the big difference is that Sabonis has fewer things he can do, but he does them extremely well, whereas Sengun can do everything at a good level already with the potential to develop a lot of those things to an elite level.

The passing I think is one of the biggest strengths in Sabonis game (much like with Sengun). At times he looks like his dad:

#149 omgTHEpotential, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Lateral can be improved, no?

I would just hold the thought that defensively he is amazing or impressive until he plays the real NBA. I only saw him a few SL games like many of us. He was declared laterally slow in this draft. I tend to think NBA scouting doesn’t get that wrong.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, quickness and vertical explosiveness can absolutely change. Second, he is neither slow or earthbound, very much an average to above average level athlete for NBA.

Drift Monkey, D-rock, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nba scouting also declared draymond green is too small to ever play good defense in the paint

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Wow. Just hold on … We didn’t see Sabonis in NBA until he was 30. According to people that have seen him play internationally in his 20s, he was unstoppable. It was said that he had already lost some hops in the NBA due to injuries. But still that man was so savvy at 5. Do I wish Sengun to be Sabonis? Of course. But, wow.

Like I said, why not also compare him to Dirk or Divacs? The bigs thriving on skills all can be Sengun.

anchel and hakeem94 like this.
  14. YallMean

YallMean Member

They called him a Tweener. But lateral quickness is a hard measure based on the games they have seen, right. I sure hope the NBA was wrong. :)

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Where have you seen the NBA said he was laterally slow?
    You may have seen pre draft analysts say that. But they’re wrong frequently, and often times because of skin tone.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Drift Monkey, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

NBA scouting of course would not say anything about that about any prospect officially. But the fact he was picked outside the lottery and the people drafted ahead of him shows that. If he was already NBA average in that regard, I don’t think he would be passed up to the 16th to us. He played the Turkish league for 3 years? So there is plenty of data for this kid. Like someone said, he looks good in SL because he played professionally already against most other Kids yet to play professionally. Just hold that thought. I root for him.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

He is only going to be as good as the coaches and environment is. This is where the franchise needs to spend money because development happens from the top down. I personally don’t know the best big man coach but Stone and company should. At his age he is like clay in a potter’s hands & even the best oak tree needs water and light. To ask what we he will become depends on who and how he is developed. He will always be himself but his development will change his play. More questions than answer at the moment.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So Giannis at 15 isn’t athletic, or Capela in late 20s isn’t athletic, or Kai Jones at 14 isn’t athletic, or any number of athletes selected outside top 14 aren’t athletic?
    I don’t think that means what you think it does.
    Stone himself said he was trying to trade to top 10 for him.

D-rock likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sengun will be the incomparable Sengun.

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.