1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Sengun be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Best comparasion for Sengun

1. Jokic

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Plumlee

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Nurkic

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sabonis

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. KAT

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Role player/Starter

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. other: post

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Neither of those 3 were explosive laterally, they had good feet and can stay in front because of length and IQ, not elite athleticism.
    But there is a big difference between elite-Pau/Horford/Sengun————to Brad Miller

Drift Monkey likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

OK. just hold that thought for a bit until he plays real NBA.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. YallMean

YallMean Member

thats called positional defending - takes a bit of time to master. Have you watched Horford or Pau when they were fast drafted? If they weren't laterally quick enough, they would have been out of the league due to being exploited. Horford or Pau had more lateral quickness than Sengun. Let's just leave at this.

roslolian likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, none are overly explosive. Just solid. Average to slightly above average mobility in all 3. But aren’t liabilities.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Looks like you slot him to be a 5? I am not sure he has the body to be a 5. That's why I don't agree with the Jokic comparison by some here.

Scola was fierce with a motor that just competes. Artest had a portrait of Scola in his living room worshiping Luis as a fighter. Man, I know the kid is only 18, but I would be very very enthused if the Scola comparison sticks. Right now I don't see that motor in him.

Boozer? Two different types of bodies. Boozer was an underzied PF. I don't see the comparison.

Dmo? I sure hope he pans out better than DMO. DMO is a 5 with a much thicker body.

Sengun with his frame and his physiology will make the imprint. I am so surprised that cowark1982 has not thrown around the Nowitzki comparison yet. ;)

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Totally agree with this, you guys are nuts comparing Sengun to dudes picked 3rd or 4th. He’s much more comparable to guys picked 15th to 41st like Giannis and Jokic.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yes. Giannis didn't play basketball until he was 13. So I am sure you are right. Jokic was slow and you are right about that too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. vizier

vizier Member

25.5pts/11.5rbs/4.5asts/2blks

hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. YallMean

YallMean Member

I will say this... Give the kid at least 5 years to develop... He needs time. I remember Yi were often fxxked by the opposing PFs defensively going left and right and dunk. Yi lost confidence and bucks gave up on him in 3 years. For all of you saying this kid will be so and so, stick with him.

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

he'll take time for sure, not onyl is he young but has to adjust to nba game....btu he looked far ahead of the pack in the summer league n hist timing, his skill, even strenght. ..in modern day nba i could see him playing a 5 pretty easily imo.

people have mentioned Saric played in the exact same league as him, yet this kid dominated and was mvp. I think lke green, i don't want to hold him to a normal trajectory of development, of course it will take time no doubt in the rookie year, but I expect both their professional experiences, exposures to accelerate some learning curves compared to traditional rookies, they both also should be looking atbig roles in our rebuilding team hteir rookie years. Not surprising for a no 2, but for no 16 it will be interesting.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am rooting for him. Happy that we have him. He has shown me he SL games thus far he has the tools to be great. I just want to caution that we should not jump to a cursory conclusion that he will be a Paul, Scola, Dirk, Boozer or even Jokic. Frankly I don’t see - at least right now, he will be any of those. Is he going to come out of the gate in the NBA regular season like he is right now SL? I don’t hold my expectations that high. I sure hope he will some good games this season but he probably is going to be on the learning curve to figure out what he can and should do with his frame and physical abilities. I also hope the Turkey national team will continue to work with him in the summers on foot work and shooting. Euros are very good at those. With time his knowledge of NBA play style will increase so will his position awareness and even lateral quickeness, which can be definitely improved. I am a bit hesitant to call him the next who and who in 3 years. A bit wishful if you ask me.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Fefo

Fefo Member

Ill be happy if he turns into a serviceable starter for this team. He doesnt have the talent of a Scola or Pau Gasol. He is looking great now playing against kids his age, but hes got a bit of an advantage being a pro already.
    I think he will have up and downs this season to earn some rotation minutes. I dont think he will be as good as domatas is, but if he can be that kind of an impact player, ill be really happy.
    We did awesome in this draft, getting a potential star and 2 really solid contributors ( if not right away, in the near future)/

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Comparisons are fun!

YallMean likes this.
  15. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Can't wait to see what he can do tomorrow, hopefully they give him more looks.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

6’10 Yao…remember he had a behind the back move too. Gotta seek out JVG for help with D.

17. DonatelloLimestone

youre definitely right, we're just on a message board getting excited as hell bc we haven't played a meaningful game in a long time. So the hope is nice to have btu you are right, you shoudl never get excited for SL and that hes a teenager coming from over seas,that should all take some big adjustment. Even green as well, it will take time. Kobe, KD, even lebron all shot terribly efficiency when they came out, but the flashes all these guys show are exciting and thats all it is thinking of the possibilities. i hear ya though, its still going to be a long season of ups and downs just a direction to look forward to.

18. MultipleSauces

Enes kanter with better D

also better defense

Drift Monkey and T.MAC like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I wasn’t serious… I just listed a tall Turk.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Gasol is a legit 7'1 fter. What he lacks in agility he makes up in height and length.

Sengod would be lucky to be the player Pau is, Pau led a scrub team that was no 1 pick level to the playoffa again and again. Lakers were 0.500 team, added him suddenly went to the Finals and won B2B vs Celts Big 3.

Of course Sengod isnt chopped liver either, Gasol wasnt an 18 yr old Euroleague mvp. But Pau is one of the best big men to ever play, he wont put up Embiid type nos but when it comes to actually winning games he is your guy. Fits both eras too, was effective in both old school post era and new school perimeter oriented era.

#140 roslolian, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021