1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our next major target should be a young/long/athletic big forward? Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Aug 12, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Rafael Stone wants John Wall, Eric Gordon, Danuel House all to play well and build up their value in order to trade them for picks.

Sidenote
    After Danuel gets traded Jalen will wear number 4. Jalen is still wearing the number 4 chain.

Late First Round Picks can be huge.

Rockets own pick
    Hopefully draft a Small Forward like Jonathan Kuminga type. Handle the Ball, Create for himself, Rebound, Shot Block.
    Run the floor on fast breaks.

roslolian and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'd actually be looking more for a long term back up PG more than another forward. If we assume moving Wall and Gordon is on the cards in the future, we need another ball handler other than Porter. We have more wings and big men than viable ballhandlers if we remove Wall and Gordon from the equation.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off, I agree that getting Wall/Oladipo out of Kevin's way and letting him get the minutes out top is muy importente. He deferred in a huge way...it muddied the waters. And, he also needs a healthy CW with him out there this year.

I see KPjr as having elite court vision/passing skills/athleticism (serious finisher)....deceptive handle with a lot of defensive upside...big time talent that's already been honed to where he is....top 4 pick material to work with. The kid's got a great feel for the game. I know we disagree here, but that's cool.

Either way, it's way too early to be investing in a big time PG prospect IMO. Like you said, "he deserves a chance to grow""...

luckyman76, roslolian and theDude like this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t think we really know what our next acquisition should be until we’ve seen the current lot play a decent amount of games together. Even Wall, Wood, Ego, Silas shouldn’t be fully judged on last season’s results. COVID, new coach/system, and Harden drama put us in a bad place and we essentially gave up midway through the season.

That said, I generally agree that we have always been in need of a big, athletic forward with offense and rebounding ability. We also need an imposer. Someone that gives us some tenacity and grit. Someone that pushes the youth hard in practice.

roslolian, saleem and theDude like this.
  5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I would love MPJ here. One of the few guys out there worth throwing the max at for our team next year.

mike2k132 likes this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

With a little luck, I think the 2022 draft could cap off the rebuild. The Rockets will have their own pick and, likely, Miami's frp too. Two guys I am really interested in as of now (which is unquestionably way early) are Adrian Griffin Jr and Kennedy Chandler. Griffin, I think, could end up similar to Jayson Tatum with the ability to play at the 3 & 4. Chandler is a bigger TJ Ford type of that would be a nice contrast to KPJ off the pine. I'd be willing to part with assets to get into position for those two.

theDude likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

At this point i want vets. Accomplished vets that can guide this young team. I don't want anymore young guys that want to spend all their time in the clubs and shocked with all the money they just stumbled upon. I want someone who can help mentor the young guys. An Igoudala type to the Warriors. A Haslem to the Heat. An Ariza to the Rockets. What Horry did for the Lakers, or Ellie did with the Spurs in 99. We have a bunch of kids on the roster... including Wall.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets 3/4, 4/3 of the future is likely through the draft.

luckyman76, D-rock and sydmill like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Siakim

Go ahead and send out clutter.....I mean salary to make it happen

Why lose on purpose for you g stud that might be good when Siakim is already that and a bag of chips
    Championships Baby!!!! That's our future!!!!

#109 ApacheWarrior, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I’m sure Stone agrees, which is why he signed Daniel Theis

11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

fully agree. Watching the second half of the SL game was a stark reminder that the Rockets have zero PG depth outside of KPJ and people who won’t be here in two years (Wall, Gordon, etc). It would get brutal quickly if KPJ goes down or doesn’t develop defensively, and we need a backup facilitator in any case (no, I don’t expect Green to be that even over time - I’d rather he focus on catch + shoot/drive/dump vs bringing the ball up, running PnR, or feeding the big men)

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Its gonna be along line form that one lol

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Tremont Waters it is

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Theis is not nearly as explosive as Kai.

And Kai has potential to be elite switch defender.

And Theis is temporary, likely not going to be in Rockets rebuilding plans.

alethios and saleem like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bolano Danton would have been cheaper?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

They are also rebuilding like us. Imagine teams asking for Wood for the same garbage.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He needs some work. Siakim puts this team over 50+ wins range with this team
    composed of: Wall/Porter/Green/Kenyon/Tate/Wood/Theis/Sengun/Garuba.

I stress the weaknesses

Eric Gordon/House/Augustin x Siakim works. Throw in a few picks and pick swaps.

Main reason for the deal is to move some clutter and give Green/Porter/Christopher
    some more reps. Siakim fits in nicely with our Silas system and high flying act.
    Easier to flip Siakim than an aging Eric Gordon with injury concerns in an NBA getting
    heavily saturated at the guard position by every team.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned it would be a huge mistake to rush this rebuild. Let it ride for one more year. Take our high pick...let Stone make his moves for another. Then, when Wall is an expiring, we move him and his facilitating contract for a young star.

With all due respect, Apache....to my way of thinking, moving on a guy like Siakam (27yrs old, 29 mil/yr, and kinda overrated in my book) ) at this point is an example of what we shouldn't do.
    Be patient and trust the process. We're sitting in a sweet position.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

If we did that last year we would have levert instead of green.

If it aint broke dont fix it. Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing expecting diff results. So the reverse of that is if you loved Green and Sengun over Levert and Allen the Rox should do the same thing again and tank for 1 more year. Mybe 2 if 2023 will habe 2 batches worth of picks. Fertita wont die anyte soon he should wait.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The Rockets ran the Silas system with no screeners last season. Cousins was on one
    gimpy leg, Patton sucked, Spalding got hurt, Tucker is 6'5" with little to no "Roll man" threat,
    Wood does not set decent screens, Anthony Lamb sucks.

Rockets were fighting with one arm tied behind their backs going into every game since
    the Silas system is predicated on screening half the time.

Don't fix what isn't broken? What do you think bringing in Theis, drafting Garuba/Sengun
    is about? It's meant to not only fix the screen problem in the future but to address
    it now as well; all of these guys are 5 times better than what we had last season.

This team tanked last season by throwing games and sitting players for injuries
    longer than need be. Now with Theis/Garuba and some action from Sengun, I expect
    this team to win 43 games if Wall goes from 75% healthy last season to 85% healthy
    this season and he passes like he did with Washington. Get to around 40% (ast%).

Sitting Wall and telling him to stay home until he gets traded probably has the Rockets
    at 31 wins depending on when Wall begins his departure from the team.

The Hawks went from 20-47 and 14th in East in 19/20 to 41-32 last season (5th) with mainly
    just having Capela come off of injury. Lou Williams added at the trading deadline. Young
    kids grew over night as I expect Tate/Kenyon/Porter to grow.

In the West the Sun's went from 34-39 and 10th in the West to 51-21 and 2nd in the
    West by adding CP3.....Torrie Craig? Frank Kaminsky? Suns just needed a driver to
    drive the car they had in place. The Rockets now have most of their guys familiar
    with the Silas system, add youth and athleticism of Porter, Green, Garuba, Josh
    Christopher, with the experience of Wood/Theis and ?Siakim? This team would
    have the makings of a very good team for years to come. Siakim is under
    contract control for another 2 years after this season. Wall leaving in a year
    as we buy him out after this year allows for Siakim to stay just fine.....and he
    is still young. Still fits our timeline.

People here on CF's are like sharks.....get a little drop of blood in the water
    and they want to go on a feeding frenzy. We tasted lottery success and now
    we want that every year. Get some fancy Christmas presents in Green, Garuba
    and Sengun and we want to stash them in the closet and not open them!

These players have been taught to win at all cost at a young age, destroy the
    competition and now we are going to tell these kids pump the brakes. We want
    to tank for better players next draft. These kids are going to say screw that!
    We can win now! I guarantee Green, Christopher, Porter are thinking that.
    I say let them try.Let's take the car on the freeway.....open it up. No, people
    here want to stay on the back roads. Go scared grandpa on these kids.

I guess I'm out of touch with sports nowadays. It killed me to deliberately tank
    last season....and I don't want to go through that again.

#120 ApacheWarrior, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Shark44 likes this.