1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Sengun be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Best comparasion for Sengun

1. Jokic

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Plumlee

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Nurkic

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sabonis

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. KAT

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Role player/Starter

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. other: post

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Love in Minnesota, pre injuries was a beast.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was a beautiful post move by Sengun. Remarkable, considering that he just turned 19. He may have thought that he was fouled, but the ref let them play on. I liked that.

D-rock likes this.
  3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Luis Scola 2.0

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Very gracious of you Donatello! BTW, Paul Silas was Dave Cowens best friend. After he was traded Dave wasn't the same. Believe its mentioned in one of the videos, but a little trivia that connects to our current coach.

5. DonatelloLimestone

Love it when someone here teaches or shows something i didn't think of, so the cowens dive/highlights were especially fun. We've definitely got some smart takes and posters here that make it worth it, heck someone on here is who turned me onto Sengun before the draft, can't remember who started that post but props to them too!

Drafting is so far from a science, personalities, skills, age, development, trajecotry, role, fit, opportunity...so many factors and we're in good hands apparently.

Great trivia as well. I'm excited to see Silas after his rep with a full stable roster and training camp, seeing what he did with Kelly in a tough season gave me some hope that we will let Sengun do what he can unqiuely do, I'd say he got put in the right postiion and both parties are lucky with the opportunity we have

not to mention we don't have a trditional pg, just good ball handling scoring guards. Sengun who is handy, comfortable with the ball in his hands....and did anyone see that back passs he attempted?! Over his head blind pass that was intercepted but just that he attempted that read, so fast, so reflexive, so risky, no less when hes trying to show he belongs shows how creative his mind is as a basketball player. Maybe some shsades of vlade divac but far more mobile so thats why I like Pau gasol

Shark44, j@amc and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes i can see it now, pau gasol is closest to being a perfect comparison

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Hold up, is this poll comparing Sengun to Arvydas or Domantas Sabonis?

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I usually reserve this for p*rn stars or supermodels, but the guy really knows how to use his body.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Haha. That marks the first time I’ve been called racist here. Guess there’s a first time for everything. I think I recall Clutch and Bima comparing him to Kanter too so I guess they are racist too.

Also you have reading comprehension issues because I clearly said Kanter offensively with much higher defensive potential. If Kanter could defend the guy would be all star caliber. I’m not a huge Kanter only fan or something, I just think they can have a similar offensive game.

So chill the hell out. Who pissed in your cornflakes geezus.

10. dobro1229

It means that you can’t play him if the other team attacks him like Harden used to. Coaches gameplan around him because he’s that bad. He’s been usable in a 6th man type of role, but he’d have a much different career if he was competent at that end.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

we got people comparing to both on here...SL is making us all dream and look upto the stars now.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Kanter is a black hole on offense and averages less than ONE assist for his entire career. Kanter has zero range and averages 0.2 3 point attempts per game. Last season he took 4 3 point attempts over 72 games.

Sengun is nothing like Kanter on offense, or defense. The ONLY thing they have in common is their race. Now, “racism” may not be the right word I’m looking for, because I’m not saying you have something against Turks. I’m just saying your comparison is 100% rooted in race and not basketball ability, which would be an incorrect way of evaluating him. (Not that you are a bad person)

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

His floor is Hakeem. Ceiling is probably Giannis. Heard it here first.

14. dobro1229

No it’s rooted in footwork and back to the basket game as a throwback post up big. Scola is another comp and had Scola came to the league earlier in his career he could very well had been an all star. I don’t really know why it matters anyways. Comparables are always silly fun.

Sengun is going to be Sengun. I think he’ll bring some international flair like Gasol, Scola, etc did and I think he’ll pick up a lot of modern NBA skills too, and he’s just going to be who he is. Floor is having a DMo like career and ceiling perennial is all star. I’m really looking forward to it.

Not a big deal dude.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Arvydas comp is sacrilege. I'm not old enough to have seen prime Arvydas but the guys who are swear by the fact the dude was incredible. I think Domantas is a good comp as a skilled post with great skill but who lacks great length and athleticism. As I mentioned before, I'll take 20/12 all day from Sengun.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

I haven't read the posts in this thread. Has some one mentioned Brad Miller yet? Sure he is never going to be Chris Webber or Tim Duncan. That is just not him. But says who a PF has to be have that kind of athleticism? I see this kid can develop into a solid a PF - good positional defender, sets good pick an roll, knows how to play the post and grab boards. If he can do those solid, thats Brad Miller. Hell Yeah.

NewAge and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  17. DonatelloLimestone

I hear ya, I'd take 18/10...I'd take 16/9/5 which i see him beingable to pull off.
    Arvydas unfortunatley never made it to the nba while he was in his prime, but he came after and showcased his skill, shot, passing, blocking while his body was not very mobile anymore. He was a massive, and highly skilled force.
    Domantas could work, it seems Sengung plays 'bigger' than him, but the idea is hes a skilled big who can be given the ball in the post, top of the key, or 3pt line and he can create something.

He's definitely a unique talent, if we harness it and put it all together we can have something very unique with two scoring tendencies at our guard position and ths guy being a good passer. Really him, tate, KPJ, all have good playmaking skills. Wood and Green are the scorers, KMJ is the do all energy guy as is tate... I think we're young and should still have a struggled year bc the west is tough, but I think we'll surprise in many games, be competitive, and show flashes as the next team that when they come into their own are going to be a headache for the league. Hopefully add in another piece next summer, rid of wall and its an impressive rebuild so far, in theory, for Stone and co.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. DonatelloLimestone

Chris Webber and brad miller are good comparasions.

I'm thinking of how many bigs you could not jut give to in the pot, but in the perimiter and he can create things.
    I think he has way better handles than miller, but miller had a playmaker mentality and could do a lot of things. I also think he also looks stronger than miller off the cuff.

Sorta like Jokic/nurkic...I think he may not be the pg mvp that jokic is, but i think he can do more than nurkici but shows similiarites and then a hybrid with some playmaking of jokic. All in all, one of the mot intriguing prospects of this draft imo, excited to have him

Drift Monkey and YallMean like this.
  19. YallMean

YallMean Member

If he had Chris Webber kinda raw physicality, we wouldn't get him at 15th pick. I think he will be one of a kind on his own when he matures. Brad Miller was very successful in the league - a fringe all star. So I don't agree that PF has to have world beater kinda of rawness in order to to successful. His physiology will dedicate what he can and should do. I have seen enough that this kid will be a basketball player.

20. varughese.arun

Louis scola + Pau Gasol = Alperen Sengun