1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading Jalen Green SL performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Aug 13, 2021.

?

Grade his performance.

1. A

72.2%
  2. B

24.9%
  3. C

1.4%
  4. D

0.4%
  5. F

1.1%
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What he does well .... He did real well in these few games. That's shoot the ball. .514/.526/.929. Those numbers are absolutely spectacular.

Rebounding was solid.

But he did struggle in other areas.

He struggled in every aspect of the pick and roll - getting around screens , making the right read / pass.

Struggled against double teams which led directly to turnovers & also some poor passes out of those double teams that led to turnovers.

Defensively the effort & want to was there but he's got a hell of a lot of work to do to be a solid NBA defender.

Yep , the shooting is as advertised , maybe even better than advertised but he's a long way from a franchise cornerstone right now.

T for 3 and bmelo like this.
  2. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Dude, I’ll ride or die with our namesake, but it’s not homerism.
    My opinion isn’t the end-all-be-all, and I’m often wrong, but I’m not basing my opinion on other fan bases. It’s based off the fact that I’ve watched every summer League game since people were claiming Donte Green was the next T-Mac. I’m giving you those references so you see it’s not just homerism that’s making people say he’s been great. I honestly think anyone who was not impressed with his play, was never going to be unless he was a perfectly complete player, which no one is at 19 years old in the summer League.

I would like to honestly hear your assessment though as well. Why would you say his performance was not an A, and by your standards, what would a player have to do to get an A?

HTXSportsAddict and roslolian like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah, I think it's funny when people try to use some magical (BS) formula to predict a player will score x points because they scored y points in the g league as if there's a true precedence for a top young prospect playing in the gleague... then cover their argument with "intelligent" conversation

roslolian likes this.
  4. Kmoney247

Kmoney247 Member

He’s already a franchise cornerstone. He has things he needs improve on like every 19 year old rookie. But he’s without a doubt a franchise cornerstone player.

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He looka ok.

T FOR 3!!! and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I actually didn’t get to finish my first reply. Perfect post! I don’t think it’s homerism to say he had an A performance, but it is for anyone that says he doesn’t have obvious things to work on. There was a solid chance that we watched these games feeling like we just spent the #2 pick on the next Ricky Davis, but instead we’re seeing a guy that has an elite and highly sought after skill set. He makes scoring look SO easy. He played 12 minutes and out scored Barnes for the whole game, and Barnes has been really good. I think he’s a guy having a B Summer League. Again, a lot of his impact is on the other end.

But I think you’re spot on. He has a ton to improve on, but that goes for every rookie. He’s gotta get stronger/better on D and better at running the pick and roll (and the offense as a whole), but what he’s shown he’s capable of already is absurdly impressive.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Seeing his weaknesses gave me a lot of confidence that they can be remedied, and seeing his scoring talent gave me confidence that there is no way he will average less than 25 efficient points from his second season onwards. I'd call that an A for displaying the maximum potential, dream scenario.

He wasn't going to come in a be able to have all of Harden's skills, we are spoiled in that respect, just like we over-criticized every big man after Hakeem.

8. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Definitely an A but would reserve actually grading him after a few actual regular season games against the top guards in the league. He needs to really work on tightening those handles and being more disciplined on defense. Passing the ball needs work too but we need to temper our expectations as we all got too spoiled with what Harden did in terms of playmaking. He won't average 10apg, leave that to our actual point guards.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hear me out.

A more athletic Ray Allen.

Corrosion, bmelo and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm with you, but keep in mind the thread is asking summer League grade.

Not you personally, but others are trying to conjoin summer League with mid season grading.

It's how did Jalen Green do in summer League compared to LeBron, CP3, Durant, Cade/Suggs, others
    in the summer League? All rookies need to improve on things....that's why they are called rookies.

The answer is probably better than most of the greats of the game past and present.

T FOR 3!!! and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

What is it nowadays with people thinking “A” means “perfect?” That’s literally never been the case in any context.

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Problem with that scenario is I’ve never seen the defense swarm on those guards in Houston. Not like how they swarmed Harden in years past or Jalen Green in the summer league.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

T FOR 3!!! and saleem like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

And here is the list of: Summer League: SG's - Rookies (filter)
    https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/s...s/All/points/SG/desc/1/Summer_League?rookies=

Jalen at 2 assists per game is right on par with most. *Must take note of minutes played
    and summer League might be Orlando or Vegas. Not all players player in Orlando SL.
    Stats may be skewed as a result.

Cade the great distributor was 2.3 ast in 27.7 mins to Jalen the sucky distributor 2.0 ast in 24 mins
    Suggs 2.3 ast in 21 mins.....all near each other.

I don't know why many try to compare Green assists to PG's? Compare them to most SG's.

Harden effect I guess? People got spoiled with Harden and his passing

#94 ApacheWarrior, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

I remember there were question Marks about his 3pt shot. He has great form, shot 50% and his parabole is…. Curry level. Yes i said it. Im not saying he will shoot like him but there are really few people that shoot with that great parabole there were several shots he wouldve missed if his shot was flatter but they still went in

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

So Vince Carter then or will we be saying this guy might be the next Jalen Green 10-15 years from now? I do think Green has a unique skill set. Beal/Lavine comp seems pretty good as they fit the athletic profile close to Green. Will be interesting watching his development. His ceiling is through the roof.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’ll amend my grade. I’ve been swayed.

A, for Aaron Brooks.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly! Harden has spoiled us.

amaru, T FOR 3!!! and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Carter has that all time high flying ability but I don't think he has that wirey quickness that Green has along with a quick release high arcing shot that kinda reminds me of Allen.

Carter's advantage was that he was bigger and stronger coming into the league

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

he gets so much elevation and arc that i don't think he'll ever be bad shooter. but he'll have streaks like anyone else.

saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.